some good questions to ask "them"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I know this might have been touched on in some threads, but I want to make a thread just for it.

When asked "do you have any questions for us" at the end of your interview for pharm school, what are some of your favorite questions to ask? Like for instance, what do YOU personally want to know. The only reason why I'm asking is maybe someone will come up with a question I never thought of, that can be useful to my knowledge.

and also are there any "inappropriate" questions to ask? For example, I actually want to know the "drop out" rate of the school. just for reference.

thats all.

Members don't see this ad.

Well for starters get 'them's' name. You can't call back or send a thank you to a prof if you don't know their name. I keep talkin to friends who've been waited at SC, and I'm like 'well, who was your faculty iv'er and they're like

"Beats me. I forgot."

Ennnnt!!! Wrong answer.

Get their name. Get a card from them if you can. You need as many contacts as you can.

I'm interviewing for residency, and am going through the same thing. I like:

1. What makes your program stand out from others? -or-
2. What is the one thing that you are most proud of at this program?

for examples. Then take their answer and turn it into a discussion. That 5 minute talk about the new IV hood or whatever will stick in that interviewer's mind. It sticks, and then you stick. Hopefully you stick in the "accept" pile when they start sorting paper. I like the q's that have the interviewer boast about their program. Everyone likes to talk about their "good" points.

So many people think of the interview as a one-way street. It certainly can seem that way-you're on the outside, and they have the key. Think of it more as a two-way. Even if you know the answer to a question you could potentially ask, ask SOMETHING!

And get a organizer for all those business cards you collect. Don't let them rot in your wallet. Just from rotations I've got contacts in a half-dozen drug companies. Kinda nice if you need some info about their product (like, if you need to do a presentation at your interview...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask:

Are you free Saturday Night?

This question may seem inappropriate however, it does show that you appreciate your interviewer, which is a great gesture!:hardy:

now i might sound dumb for asking this but what are some good reasons for asking for the interviewers name or for their card (assuming they are professors and pharmacists themselves). Is it mainly for future uses (i.e. You need a job or need some advice, etc?). Or is it to follow up on your interview?

and those 2 questions MNnaloxone mentioned are great. Thanks and keep those responses coming. and EarlyEditionDude cracked me up. :D

Follow up EarlyEdition's question with, "And what are you doing Sunday morning?" and you're sure to get in...

Most of the time, a simple, "Do you have a business card..." will get you what you need. It is just common knowledge what you want when you ask for a card. To me, anyway. If not, a smiple, "In case I need to get ahold of you later..." should work.

When it comes to academia, I'm not sure that mosts profs have them. If they don't, make sure you remember their names long enough to scribble them down in that neat portfolio that you may have brought. Nice place to tuck away any documents that may be given to you, and you don't ruin a shirt with a broken pen. You did bring a pen, right???

If I come up with any neat questions from my first residency interview tomorrow, I'll post them. I always seem to come up with better stuff on the fly, anyway. Wish me luck!

During my interview at SF, I asked:
"How has your perception of the field of Pharmacy changed between the time that you were an applicant, like myself, and now (a third-year and fourth-year student)?
They both really liked the question.

the best thing to do is relax. If nothing else needs to be said, don't end the interview on a weird note. However, a good way to end an interview is to talk about every day things unrelated to pharmacy. That will make you stand out, which is really what the point of the interview is.

Just got back from my residency interview. No new words of advice, but scanlon's post reminded me of something:

During my interview proper, with 4 clinical pharmacists in the room, we talked for over 10 minutes about the National Pro Paintball League and Plymouth Superbirds...

Originally posted by jason UCSD2000
During my interview at SF, I asked:
"How has your perception of the field of Pharmacy changed between the time that you were an applicant, like myself, and now (a third-year and fourth-year student)?
They both really liked the question.

That's an awesome question!!!!

at my interview for MCPHS, I talked about american idol with the clinical pharmacist. It's not like I really care about american idol or anything, but an important part of an interview is to talk about other things than shop, especially in the case of an science discipline. Threre are so may overqualified people in the field, and the interviewer can probably see your academic credentails or work experience allready, i.e. you have allready proved to them that you have a reason for wanting to go to pharmacy school. Anyway, american idol worked, and I was accepted. Maybe it was luck, who knows.

how did u guys even bring up the topic about american idol or unrelated topics?:confused:

would talking about the super bowl be too far fetched??

Just wondering

eddie: For the Superbird, I just wandered into it. The interviewing group asked me what I liked to do in my spare time, outside of pharmacy. I told them that I collect Superbird items, and the two males in the group perked up. The two females looked at me blankly. The three of us then went on to explain to the females what a Plymouth Superbird was. Turns out the Clinical Manager has a 63 Impala.

I think that I got into my Paintball 'career' through a leadership question. Again, they wanted to know what I did outside skool/work.

I'd hesitate to bring anything up outside of the 'relavent' (sp?)questions expected from an interview. However, if the topic drifts to an outside topic, and the interviewer is ACTIVELY ENGAGED in a conversation, run with it.

I wouldn't bring up the Super Bowl (OR Janet Jackson). But if an interviewer asked, "What'd you do last night?", I'd reply wth "Watched the SB." If the interviewer than asked me what commercial I liked the best-that's the time to open up a bit more.

IMO, applicants get WAAAY too worked up over the interview. I think a lot of it stems from not having to interview for much of anything before this entrance interview. Just take a breath and relax.

There's no way you're going to be able to answer all the questions as well as you like. Make sure you cover the obvious questions (Weakness/strengths, what you did in a conflict situation) in your preparation, as you either get those questions, or variations that you can use you answers in. Find out of your college has a career center-if so, ask for a mock interview. And know that the more you interview, the easier it comes. I'm almost looking forward to my two interviews this week...

Almost.

I asked each of my interviewers if there was one thing they wish they had known when they were beginning pharmacy school, what would it be? Each of them answered more or less the same thing: That they wished they had kept an open mind about working in fields other than community pharmacy, since each of them ultimately wound up doing something other than community pharmacy (two professors and one clinical pharmacist).

Another pharmacist I asked the same question to said to keep the big picture in mind, and to connect what you are learning into the big picture of pharmacy.