Some Help Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey all,

I'm new to the whole posting on SDN thing but I really need some help. I want to write a letter of intent but have NO idea how to go about doing so. Could someone offer some advice or have a sample that I could view just so I can see what this letter should look like and what things I should mention in it? I have seen previous threads, but was hoping someone could please share a sample or give more specific advice. Thanks!! :)

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just tell the school that they are your first choice and you will absolutely go there if accepted. Go over reasons why you are interested and why you are a good fit for their program. Also, update on any changes that might help strengthen your application. Good luck!:luck:

docizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doctormom! Should the letter be one page or can it be a page and a half? Mine might sound a little like a personal statement - is that ok?

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doctormom! Should the letter be one page or can it be a page and a half? Mine might sound a little like a personal statement - is that ok?

It probably doesn't matter much, but try to keep it as succinct as possible. They are more likely to read through a shorter letter than a long one. But, you also want to make sure you can get everything you want into the letter. I wouldn't make it too similar to a personal statement. They already have all that from you. Updates and a brief explanation of why you are a good fit for their school is probably better. If you send it to me, I will read over it for you and let you know what I think.:luck: :)

Green6936

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The letter I got from NYCOM (months ago) said to please refrain from contacting them and that I will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. This was in November. Anyone get a similar letter?

Green6936

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to write a letter for some other schools though, any suggestions on how to start?

Thanks