some hope for all of you

Started by tley1115
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tley1115

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This post is intended for all individuals who will be, or are currently in the process of, applying to a SMP. I am writing this with my sincere empathy towards your situation and I hope this will come to you at the right time and elicit the right type of motivational response (if any).

Like many of you, I was also one of those undergrad pre-meds that had a very low GPA and often felt there was absolutely no hope for me. If you scroll back in the threads a few years you may have even seen some of my desperate attempts at milking as much information as I could from fellow SDNers. However, now that I am reaching the final months of my SMP and have this delightful new perspective of 3 acceptances to US allo schools, I felt it my duty to report back to this forum and enlighten those who may feel their hopes and dreams are being shattered by the hateful and blatantly rude advice which is handed out by alleged "veterans" of this forum.

So here is my advice.

# 1 rule: YOU ARE NOT AN EPIC FAILURE AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO SPEND THE NEXT 5 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE BRINGING YOUR GPA TO A POINT WHERE YOU ARE WORTHY OF EVEN BEING **** ON BY A COMMITTEE. all that advice on here about how it takes FOREVER to raise your gpa is complete bull****. you don't need an overall number all the time. I had over 250 credits and my gpa was almost impossible to move. However, I took ~60 credits of hard core upper division science for a few quarters in a row and aced every single one. This trend was enough for my SMP committee to realize I was a "bi-polar" student and may have some potential. Your job is just to get them to believe in your potential. Its not to play number games. These are people you are dealing with, not machines. Don't forget that.

Rule # 2:

If you are like 99% of ppl who apply to SMPs and have a very low undergraduate GPA, do your very best to pull it up as high as possible BEFORE applying to the SMP. If you have already been accepted, it is still early and you can still take more undergraduate classes to boost your gpa a tad bit more before taking the plunge into the SMP schedule.

Now onto what it takes to even get into a SMP. I am willing to bet you that if you feel like you have even the slightest chance of getting into one of these master's programs, your gpa is around the 2.7+ range. Well, fear not. My GPA going in was a lovely 2.5 overall- science even lower.

Rule # 3: ACE YOUR MCAT. Do whatever the hell you have to do to get a 35+ on that thing. Even if you have to take a year off just to study, do it. its worth it. Case and point.


Rule # 4: NEVER, EVER, EVER , EVER give up (unless you just get sick of trying and find other better options)

If there is any advice out there that is of any benefit, it is to never give up. You WILL make it if you make some crucial changes. Figure out why your grades sucked and fix your study habits. That's what I did (trust me I had some really messed up ideas of what it means to study). Not only is that important for you to raise your undergrad gpa more, but it will be a huge help during the SMP. If I had not acquired the study skills needed to handle graduate level course work, the SMP would have been a major failure for me. A lot of students think that "if I could just get into a SMP, I would be golden." This may/may not be the case. Just because you make it in, doesn't mean you will break a 3.6+ gpa (which you absolutely need to show that you have changed as a student). I truly believe that after what I have experienced, anyone can make it in this field who has the passion and drive. I told myself a couple years ago that I was never going to give up because no matter how hard I thought about other options, everything felt like dirt in comparison to being a physician. If you fall into that category, please take my advice and keep pushing. If you are strong enough to withstand the embarrassment and humiliation that comes with not performing at the level you know you could perform at, you are definitely strong enough to make it. Your undergraduate grades are NOT a measure of your intelligence and they mean nothing.

Rule # 5: It is not a competition. No matter how many times it may feel like it is.

Its all a game. Just play the game and don't compete with anyone because that will get you nowhere. You getting into medical school will happen on your own merit and not because you one "uped" anyone or asked a better question than someone during lecture or even brown nosed a little bit more than the other guy at the table. It is all about your merit. You can argue that there are a lot of individuals who get ahead because of networking but trust me, at the end of the day, the people who change this world do it on their own accord. I always told myself that I want to be the MD that not only changes lives but also feels connected to science during the processes. You know, the types that go on to discover big things and maybe even get acknowledged for it. Strive to be your best and you will be.



Ok I am going to stop boring all of you. I know there are going to be plenty of grumpy ppl on here who will comment that I just got lucky or that I need to stop giving people false hope and be more "realistic." Let me tell you something, being realistic never got me anywhere in my life. Every-time I have dreamt big, something good has come for me. I am just trying to pass that message along.

Last but not least, smile and hold your head up. YOU CAN DO THIS. I AM ROOTING FOR YOU!

with love,

tley1115
 
Absolutely amazing post. I'm going to PM you in the near future and ask you a few more detailed questions, if you don't mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the inspiring words! It's really nice to hear something so positive amidst the "doom and gloom" that SDN is so known for.

I'm sure you're gonna be an excellent dr! Way to be persistent !🙂
 
Thanks for reading guys. I am more than happy to answer any questions I can. During the process of looking for SMPs and medschool apps in general, I did a lot of research. Therefore, if any of my research can be of use to you, I am happy to share. SO yea, message me if you need me. I get an email everytime I have a message on here.
 
Thanks for reading guys. I am more than happy to answer any questions I can. During the process of looking for SMPs and medschool apps in general, I did a lot of research. Therefore, if any of my research can be of use to you, I am happy to share. SO yea, message me if you need me. I get an email everytime I have a message on here.
Pubs. Be clear that your experience includes pubs. We're seeing multiple instances of pubs overcoming GPA given a decent MCAT lately.

Also: congrats, and +1 to the not giving up.

Best of luck to you.
 
I needed this. I've had a rough semester, not academically yet, but i only have two classes and MCAT. Thanks for the inspiration!
 
Pubs. Be clear that your experience includes pubs. We're seeing multiple instances of pubs overcoming GPA given a decent MCAT lately.

Also: congrats, and +1 to the not giving up.

Best of luck to you.

you're right I should've mentioned pubs but with as low of a gpa as I have, not sure how much the pubs helped. I think more than anything my MCAT did it. I had spoken to the committee members about how far publications will take me and everyone told me its always good to have them but they are never a deal breaker.

From what I have understood throughout this process, its all about the MCAT. that's why I said in my post that people need to take as much time as needed to study for that test. It will make/break your chances. DO NOT rush into anything.


but yes, I do have pubs. 2 in print and 2 more accepted which are about to come out.
 
but yes, I do have pubs. 2 in print and 2 more accepted which are about to come out.

How hard was it? 4 total seems like it too a bit of time. Did your 2 in print happening in your undergrad? Are they a result of your own independent hypothesis testing and work, or did you have have you name on the research?

I would love to try and get a pub out there, but I have no idea how or where to start. Any advice would be great thanks!
 
yea it definitely takes time. I have two first authors which were both my own projects and two where I am 3rd author and just assisted. I have been doing research since I was a senior in highschool so that's over 6 years now.

Best way is to approach a young PI. I find that the younger ones seem to be more enthusiastic but its not a universal truth or anything. Some can be complete users. Also, to have one with not too many graduate students helps. Most important thing is to pick a topic you know you will be able to get excited about and therefore contribute to in a meaningful way. Coming up with ideas is sometimes all it takes to get a project off the ground if your PI has the money. Then BAM, you are on the road to a first author.

But yea, I would start by doing some research about mentors at your university.
 
Hello. Congratulations to your success!

I'm wondering how many times did you take the MCAT? I'm on the same boat as you were. I have 2.89 GPA and currently finishing my second semester of post-bacc, taking hard upper science courses. So far so good, solid 4.0 so far. My situation is I have taken the MCAT three times, the third was a 24. I'm going to take it again this fall. A fourth MCAT is really a sore eye to them, doesn't it?
 
Hello. Congratulations to your success!

I'm wondering how many times did you take the MCAT? I'm on the same boat as you were. I have 2.89 GPA and currently finishing my second semester of post-bacc, taking hard upper science courses. So far so good, solid 4.0 so far. My situation is I have taken the MCAT three times, the third was a 24. I'm going to take it again this fall. A fourth MCAT is really a sore eye to them, doesn't it?

i took the mcat twice. the first time i voided my score. the second time i kept it and got a 39. how do u feel about DO?
 
Hey congrats. When you said your gpa was around 2.5 was that after you graduated from ugrad or was your gpa 2.5ish when you applied to SMP schools?
 
A 39 is ****ing incredible, well done. What prep method did you personally find most effective? What study method(s) did you use?
 
A 39 is ****ing incredible, well done. What prep method did you personally find most effective? What study method(s) did you use?

well first off, i took my damn time studying. i didnt rush at all. i studied with 3 sources: EK, BR, and princeton hyperlearning. There is an excellent schedule on SDN which uses BR most and some EK. I supplemented that with my own schedule. The MCAT is a high school level exam. It is nothing to be scared of. study study study-there is no getting around it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i took the mcat twice. the first time i voided my score. the second time i kept it and got a 39. how do u feel about DO?

Very nice score, sir! I'm not up for DO. This is gonna be tough, wish I knew this forum earlier. I wouldn't have rushed my 3rd.
 
Uh, you realize you have a top 10% score, worldwide, on a test taken almost exclusively by those with a med-school-worthy college performance? If you're saying it's no harder than the SAT I'd strongly disagree.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/264234/data/combined11.pdf

Best of luck to you.

I am saying that it is not nearly as difficult as you guys on here claim it to be. it is ONLY A TEST. half the people who bomb it do so because they hype it up to the point where it FEELS impossible. How are you going to explain the people who do not even major in science and they get a 35? I know plenty of these types of people and I don't think they are the brightest crayons in the box. All I am saying and the whole reason for my post was to tell people that anything is possible. 3 years ago every single of my advisors, including you guys on here who call yourself veterans told me I had NO CHANCE of getting in anywhere. I got put down, told I had no hope of even going DO and here I am with more acceptances than most people with a 3.8 gpa.

Point: stop discouraging people because getting into medical school is not even close to being an impossible endeavor. you just have to focus and put your mind to it.
 
I am saying that it is not nearly as difficult as you guys on here claim it to be. it is ONLY A TEST. half the people who bomb it do so because they hype it up to the point where it FEELS impossible. How are you going to explain the people who do not even major in science and they get a 35? I know plenty of these types of people and I don't think they are the brightest crayons in the box. All I am saying and the whole reason for my post was to tell people that anything is possible. 3 years ago every single of my advisors, including you guys on here who call yourself veterans told me I had NO CHANCE of getting in anywhere. I got put down, told I had no hope of even going DO and here I am with more acceptances than most people with a 3.8 gpa.

Point: stop discouraging people because getting into medical school is not even close to being an impossible endeavor. you just have to focus and put your mind to it.

We all really appreciate your inspiration and advice, and understand that sometimes people can be quick to put you down with no factual backing. However, I don't think Dr. Midlife is meaning to discourage people, but rather clarify the fact that the MCAT is most certainly not a high school level exam.

I completely understand that the hype of the MCAT can affect someone from performing to the best of their abilities (trust me, I was very nervous), but you can also say that telling someone it is easy can lead them to believe less studying is needed.

I personally think it's best to have the correct information for every facet of the medical school application, and how you react to that is up to you. But believe me, if someone were to be discouraging you based upon their assumptions then I would be the first to defend you; as I have dealt with the same bull.
 
We all really appreciate your inspiration and advice, and understand that sometimes people can be quick to put you down with no factual backing. However, I don't think Dr. Midlife is meaning to discourage people, but rather clarify the fact that the MCAT is most certainly not a high school level exam.

I completely understand that the hype of the MCAT can affect someone from performing to the best of their abilities (trust me, I was very nervous), but you can also say that telling someone it is easy can lead them to believe less studying is needed.

I personally think it's best to have the correct information for every facet of the medical school application, and how you react to that is up to you. But believe me, if someone were to be discouraging you based upon their assumptions then I would be the first to defend you; as I have dealt with the same bull.

I understand your points. However if you look at my original post I mentioned that people should take as long as needed to prepare for this exam. I never led anyone into thinking that you don't need to study for it. However, if you were to flip through honors level highschool textbooks for the pre med sciences, you would find most if not all of the information that's on the MCAT. I know this bc I have a sibling in HS and I did this with his books. Infancy he helped me learn about some gen chem concepts.
 
I understand your points. However if you look at my original post I mentioned that people should take as long as needed to prepare for this exam. I never led anyone into thinking that you don't need to study for it. However, if you were to flip through honors level highschool textbooks for the pre med sciences, you would find most if not all of the information that's on the MCAT. I know this bc I have a sibling in HS and I did this with his books. Infancy he helped me learn about some gen chem concepts.

I actually agree with this. I wasn't a science major and studied a month for the MCAT my after my 1st year of postbac and got a 39. It's not a very difficult test, certainly not step 1.
 
I actually agree with this. I wasn't a science major and studied a month for the MCAT my after my 1st year of postbac and got a 39. It's not a very difficult test, certainly not step 1.

Well then you two are a couple of geniuses aren't you? I suppose anything less than a 39 makes you an idiot considering how easy of a test it is...

Haha, learn some humility man.