some Major concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJumper

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college freshman attending University of Florida, I'm majoring in Economics and want to get a minor in Actuarial Science.
My question is, how difficult will it be for me to minor in this if my major is already non science related? Is it at all possible to complete the pre-reqs in time?
What are my odds of doing well on the MCAT with this configuration?
My reason for this is that Economics is something I've always been interested in, and if I do not get accepted into medical school or for any other reason can't become an MD, I'd like to be an Actuary.
Anyone here have experience with similar struggles?

Members don't see this ad.

Your odds are reflected in how hard/long/thoroughly you study. You'll have to stretch a bit for pre-reqs within science, but that combined with study guides and tests, should put you on the same playing field as science majors. Major really doesn't matter.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you doing the minor as a back up plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
My reason for this is that Economics is something I've always been interested in, and if I do not get accepted into medical school or for any other reason can't become an MD, I'd like to be an Actuary.

As GiveMeThatMD said, your major doesn't matter. But it's great you're being realistic and have a plan b.

The med school pre-reqs might actually double as electives, if your major allows any lower level (100/200) elective. Also your situation (non science major, filling pre-reqs separately) is quite common. Med schools don't care what you study, as long as you complete the pre-reqs and do well in these classes.

I'm a college freshman attending University of Florida, I'm majoring in Economics and want to get a minor in Actuarial Science.
My question is, how difficult will it be for me to minor in this if my major is already non science related? Is it at all possible to complete the pre-reqs in time?

Prereqs are actually not that much and you'll be able to finish them off easily with smart planning in advance. Just be prepared to enjoy the math classes since you're heading in the quantitative business route, and yes, economics has a lot of math involved (especially multivariate calculus).

The MCAT is an issue for another day, but as long as you do well in prereqs and can self-study with plans mapped out in the MCAT forums, you can do well.

Your odds are reflected in how hard/long/thoroughly you study. You'll have to stretch a bit for pre-reqs within science, but that combined with study guides and tests, should put you on the same playing field as science majors. Major really doesn't matter.
I've already taken some college courses for Economics in High-school, also have all the Gen-Eds out of the way because I earned an Associates of Arts back in High-school.
There's also some cross-over between the major and minor. For the minor I'd need Calc II and III, one extra statistics course, and two financial courses.
Are you doing the minor as a back up plan?
In a way I guess it is.

The pre-reqs I still need are
1 year of General Chemistry
1 year of General Biology
1 year of General Physics

Also I'd hope to squeeze in a Psych and Biochem semester somewhere.

The MCAT is an issue for another day, but as long as you do well in pre-reqs and can self-study with plans mapped out in the MCAT forums, you can do well.

A big concern is that most Actuaries are expected to pass 1-3 exams when they graduate, as well as interning at various places.
The interning I could probably balance with other Medical related EC's, but the exams are the stinger.
I'd have to study and pass exams while also studying for the MCAT.
I suppose my only option is prioritizing for getting into medical school.

Don't hope to squeeze in Biochem. If you want to do well on the MCAT you will need it. also, don't discount Sociology either. The only questions that missed as a psych major on the MCAT were sociology questions. I looked at Actuarial Science while in high school and think it would be very difficult to do all the extra research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering in three years if you add the tests on as well. I would say do as much as you can, but shadow both so you don't run yourself ragged only to find yourself a jack of all trades and a master of none with qualifications for neither.

Reactions: 1 users
@BlueJumper You also need a year of 0-chem.

Majoring in econ is fine, I did the same thing and it turned out great.

Reactions: 1 user
Only YOU can answer these questions!

It all depends on how good you are in math. If you are not absolutely amazing, then I would say focus on getting into medical school. You would be better off spending time studying the MCAT, rather then stretching yourself thin.
Those math courses required are not all that easy. Also you know our financial accounting courses are some of the worst pass rates ? So I say if you are good at math and you can breeze through without much studying, then go for it. Calc 3 is not gonna be easy.

Also you just started out. I think you should see how well your first year goes, and then see where you wanna go from there. ITs not like you are behind. Focus on prereqs and economics. If after your first year you have above 3.90, then go for it.
I took AP Micro and Macro and Ufs economics can still be tough.

edit: financial accounting classes. not department. lol my bad.

Last edited:
Don't hope to squeeze in Biochem. If you want to do well on the MCAT you will need it. also, don't discount Sociology either. The only questions that missed as a psych major on the MCAT were sociology questions. I looked at Actuarial Science while in high school and think it would be very difficult to do all the extra research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering in three years if you add the tests on as well. I would say do as much as you can, but shadow both so you don't run yourself ragged only to find yourself a jack of all trades and a master of none with qualifications for neither.
Thank you for the advice. Even if it hurts the Actuary qualifications, I'll bite at whatever pre-medical qualifications I can, even if it means not doing those exams I'd rather have time to focus on the MCAT and EC's. After all, getting into medical school and getting an MD is my real goal here and I have to keep it in that perspective.
@BlueJumper You also need a year of 0-chem.

Majoring in econ is fine, I did the same thing and it turned out great.

I could have sworn I put it there! My browser wasn't co-operating.

I think I'll be able to do MORE than the minimum pre-requisites actually, I keep my schedule tight.
Only YOU can answer these questions!

In the end it's all going to come down to my own discipline.
It all depends on how good you are in math. If you are not absolutely amazing, then I would say focus on getting into medical school. You would be better off spending time studying the MCAT, rather then stretching yourself thin.
Those math courses required are not all that easy. Also you know our financial accounting courses are some of the worst pass rates ? So I say if you are good at math and you can breeze through without much studying, then go for it. Calc 3 is not gonna be easy.

Also you just started out. I think you should see how well your first year goes, and then see where you wanna go from there. ITs not like you are behind. Focus on prereqs and economics. If after your first year you have above 3.90, then go for it.
I took AP Micro and Macro and Ufs economics can still be tough.
A fellow gator!
I don't expect it to be easy, I wouldn't be going this far if I just wanted an easy ride.
I took time to study Calculus on my own and reinforce my Algebra during the tail end of my high-school senior year and summer. I used Keisler's, Sylvanus', and Spivak's books.
Haven't heard much about the financial accounting courses, thanks for the warning.

After your first or second you may decide what you really want. Actuary is not easy either and most people would hate it. It does seem to be a comfortable lifestyle and pretty stable career. Shadow both profession a lot. Medicine is a long hard road. Maybe look at informatics as a combination.

Okay I am glad you know what you are getting into. You sound like you did research.
Yeah when and if you take financial accounting course, expect to be in office hours a lot. And spend a lot of outside of classroom time on the topic.
Glad you got a chance to reinforce, very good idea.

calc 3 gets hectic. in all cases choose your professors wisely and talk to people on campus. They wont hesitate to tell you about their bad experiences, which are the best pre-classroom learning experiences.