Some meager SGU related questions ;)

Started by jcu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jcu

should have been dr. who
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! First off, this is my first legitimate post on SDN. I'm excited to partake in your community here. It seems ... interesting. 🙂

Okay, now for the "hard hitting" questions, explicitly for those who went through the SGU app process: (no random spam 😡 ... but if you'd like to welcome me to the community, that's fine too, hehe)

# The administrative staff ... what are they like? I emailed SGU a few days ago; when can I expect a response?

# The Required Materials section within the Instructions tab of the online app. has invalid links. Am I missing something dire there?

# The ominous online checklist: for you SGUSOM applicants, did you mail the SGU offices your passport sized photo and copies of your essays? I'm not quite sure how to "complete" my application aside from submitting my online app. and sending their offices my MCAT score, transcript, and prehealth eval. letters. Is that it?

# Loans/scholarships: Is it silly for me to believe even for a moment that I'd get some sort of non-loan (i.e. grant) assistance from SGU? And, I'm not quite sure SGU has a pronounced no bias clause regarding students that are financially disadvantaged. If, theoretically, I can't pay a cent and opt to take out loans for ... everything, would the admissions committee laugh and toss out my app? (sounds like a naive inquiry, but meh 😛) I guess with this specific question, I'm looking for those applicants or current SGU students who are/were in the same boat. I financially support myself; if you do too, I'd love to hear from you!

Hm, I think that's about it. Thanks to anyone in advance for answering any or all of my questions. If there's something you'd prefer to convey privately, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

*One last thing - I've lurked SDN for quite some time and my BIGGEST pet peeve is when other SDN members nonchalantly ask other SDN members for their full stats. I'm not one to share that information so ... candidly, but if I feel your past experience could potentially help me figure stuff out, I'd be glad to PM you. 🙂 [hopes he doesn't come across as stubbornly arrogant]
 
Hi everyone! First off, this is my first legitimate post on SDN. I'm excited to partake in your community here. It seems ... interesting. 🙂

Okay, now for the "hard hitting" questions, explicitly for those who went through the SGU app process: (no random spam 😡 ... but if you'd like to welcome me to the community, that's fine too, hehe)

# The administrative staff ... what are they like? I emailed SGU a few days ago; when can I expect a response?

# The Required Materials section within the Instructions tab of the online app. has invalid links. Am I missing something dire there?

# The ominous online checklist: for you SGUSOM applicants, did you mail the SGU offices your passport sized photo and copies of your essays? I'm not quite sure how to "complete" my application aside from submitting my online app. and sending their offices my MCAT score, transcript, and prehealth eval. letters. Is that it?

# Loans/scholarships: Is it silly for me to believe even for a moment that I'd get some sort of non-loan (i.e. grant) assistance from SGU? And, I'm not quite sure SGU has a pronounced no bias clause regarding students that are financially disadvantaged. If, theoretically, I can't pay a cent and opt to take out loans for ... everything, would the admissions committee laugh and toss out my app? (sounds like a naive inquiry, but meh 😛) I guess with this specific question, I'm looking for those applicants or current SGU students who are/were in the same boat. I financially support myself; if you do too, I'd love to hear from you!

Hm, I think that's about it. Thanks to anyone in advance for answering any or all of my questions. If there's something you'd prefer to convey privately, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

*One last thing - I've lurked SDN for quite some time and my BIGGEST pet peeve is when other SDN members nonchalantly ask other SDN members for their full stats. I'm not one to share that information so ... candidly, but if I feel your past experience could potentially help me figure stuff out, I'd be glad to PM you. 🙂 [hopes he doesn't come across as stubbornly arrogant]

Thry the following forum: http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-university-school-medicine/

It's a better place for the specific apps process questions you have.
 
Hi everyone! First off, this is my first legitimate post on SDN. I'm excited to partake in your community here. It seems ... interesting. 🙂

Okay, now for the "hard hitting" questions, explicitly for those who went through the SGU app process: (no random spam 😡 ... but if you'd like to welcome me to the community, that's fine too, hehe)

# The administrative staff ... what are they like? I emailed SGU a few days ago; when can I expect a response?

# The Required Materials section within the Instructions tab of the online app. has invalid links. Am I missing something dire there?

# The ominous online checklist: for you SGUSOM applicants, did you mail the SGU offices your passport sized photo and copies of your essays? I'm not quite sure how to "complete" my application aside from submitting my online app. and sending their offices my MCAT score, transcript, and prehealth eval. letters. Is that it?

# Loans/scholarships: Is it silly for me to believe even for a moment that I'd get some sort of non-loan (i.e. grant) assistance from SGU? And, I'm not quite sure SGU has a pronounced no bias clause regarding students that are financially disadvantaged. If, theoretically, I can't pay a cent and opt to take out loans for ... everything, would the admissions committee laugh and toss out my app? (sounds like a naive inquiry, but meh 😛) I guess with this specific question, I'm looking for those applicants or current SGU students who are/were in the same boat. I financially support myself; if you do too, I'd love to hear from you!

Hm, I think that's about it. Thanks to anyone in advance for answering any or all of my questions. If there's something you'd prefer to convey privately, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

*One last thing - I've lurked SDN for quite some time and my BIGGEST pet peeve is when other SDN members nonchalantly ask other SDN members for their full stats. I'm not one to share that information so ... candidly, but if I feel your past experience could potentially help me figure stuff out, I'd be glad to PM you. 🙂 [hopes he doesn't come across as stubbornly arrogant]


why would you be afraid to share your stats on an anon forum??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
butaloh666: thanks a bunch! My admissions counselor has actually already gotten a hold of me, so she helped out too. 🙂

cooldreams: Because, to be quite honest, I didn't ask what my chances were. Nor would I ever. Since, advice from 1st/2nd yr. med students on what admissions committees look for should be taken with a grain of salt. 😉
Not trying to be rude, of course. Med. students are bastions of knowledge when it comes to course specific tips, etc. But other than that, meh. I guess I'm somewhat of a loner. 😛
 
why would you be afraid to share your stats on an anon forum??

yeah,you'll find that if you want some constructive feedback on things, w e are going to have to know where you stand as far as grades, MCAT, EC's go. Otherwise no one can really give you any advice that will be very helpful.
 
I'm not quite sure how revealing my stats would enable you to give a more rounded response to my questions, but thanks. 😉

Consider this thread locked, to any mod who sees this. 🙂
 
I'm not quite sure how revealing my stats would enable you to give a more rounded response to my questions, but thanks. 😉

Consider this thread locked, to any mod who sees this. 🙂

Okay, but what are you stats?
 
I'm not quite sure how revealing my stats would enable you to give a more rounded response to my questions, but thanks. 😉

Consider this thread locked, to any mod who sees this. 🙂
I don't know you, but I don't think I like you 👍
 
Boy, do I feel the SDN love. 🙄
Yeah, that wasn't very nice of me. In my defense, however, I did leave open the possibility that I was making a rash judgment and that perhaps, in time, we might become best internet buddies!! 🙂🙂
 
1.83m/82kg/brown hair/green eyes. And you? 😉


Now we're getting somewhere. How do you look in a black cocktail dress holding a martini glass. I might have an opening for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, that wasn't very nice of me. In my defense, however, I did leave open the possibility that I was making a rash judgment and that perhaps, in time, we might become best internet buddies!! 🙂🙂

It's alright, Angry Baby ... hmm, now it all makes sense. 😛

Now we're getting somewhere. How do you look in a black cocktail dress holding a martini glass. I might have an opening for you.

Under the stipulation that it's a crotchless dress, you've got your man. Uh, woman. Right. 😉

Haha, do all SDN threads go way offtopic like this?
 
Yup. Most of them, thanks! 😀

Though, it'd be nice to have someone delve a bit more into the financial situations I might face, as someone with no financial backing. I mean, does the committee get turned off by the fact I want to purely subsidize my education with loans? I've seen tons of tongue-in-cheek posts @ acceptances contingent on paying your way in ... which I think is ridiculous, but hey. You never know?
 
Yup. Most of them, thanks! 😀

Though, it'd be nice to have someone delve a bit more into the financial situations I might face, as someone with no financial backing. I mean, does the committee get turned off by the fact I want to purely subsidize my education with loans? I've seen tons of tongue-in-cheek posts @ acceptances contingent on paying your way in ... which I think is ridiculous, but hey. You never know?

Well, they know that most of us will be taking out loans (and private loans if you are Canadian). They just want us to understand the gravity of the situations in terms of amount.
 
# The administrative staff ... what are they like? I emailed SGU a few days ago; when can I expect a response

As you have seen, they are pretty quick.

# The Required Materials section within the Instructions tab of the online app. has invalid links. Am I missing something dire there?

Try another browser because I did not have problems with any of the tabs when I completed mine.

# The ominous online checklist: for you SGUSOM applicants, did you mail the SGU offices your passport sized photo and copies of your essays? I'm not quite sure how to "complete" my application aside from submitting my online app. and sending their offices my MCAT score, transcript, and prehealth eval. letters. Is that it?

Yes, you have to mail those in along with official LOR from the writer (or interfolio.com) and official transcripts from the schools. The admin advisor will let you know if you are missing anything.

# Loans/scholarships: Is it silly for me to believe even for a moment that I'd get some sort of non-loan (i.e. grant) assistance from SGU? And, I'm not quite sure SGU has a pronounced no bias clause regarding students that are financially disadvantaged. If, theoretically, I can't pay a cent and opt to take out loans for ... everything, would the admissions committee laugh and toss out my app? (sounds like a naive inquiry, but meh 😛) I guess with this specific question, I'm looking for those applicants or current SGU students who are/were in the same boat. I financially support myself; if you do too, I'd love to hear from you!

I supported myself and took out all private loans and had no problems. Just make sure your credit score is high. Also, if you are Canadian, you can apply for SGU's "international peace scholarship."
 
Yup. Most of them, thanks! 😀

Though, it'd be nice to have someone delve a bit more into the financial situations I might face, as someone with no financial backing. I mean, does the committee get turned off by the fact I want to purely subsidize my education with loans? I've seen tons of tongue-in-cheek posts @ acceptances contingent on paying your way in ... which I think is ridiculous, but hey. You never know?
I'm paying for everything with federal loans. In addition, my wife and son are coming with me and so my financial aid officer (why do we call them that again??) increased my budget because of that.

The fact that I'll be taking out an uber-loan my first 2 years didn't seem to bother them at all. Like McGillGrad said, they seem to be more interested in making sure you're aware of the amount you'll be borrowing :scared:
 
Ah, I see. Only after some cat and mouse do I get some solid replies. 😛 *notes*

Thanks to both of you! And yup, my credit score is in tip top shape. So, hopefully that won't even be an issue. Though, I wish I were Canadian right about now. 🙁