Some options if did not get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Obviously 4 different dental schools thought he or she was a good candidate. I imagine the URM effect (if there is one) would work for 1 or 2 acceptances... but you all seem to disregard the fact that they were accepted to 4.

Tammy, you probably think we live in a world where we're all judged equally and have a fair chance. But it's not true. The statistics are out there and it's not a secret or anything. Dental school's have been promoting URM status for quite some time now to increase diversity in the field. The majority of schools love URMs that have "decent" stats because there's not enough applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you're dreaming.

Too bad someone with a 3.7 and 23 DAT (which could very well land 4 acceptances) worked harder.

That is what racial preference does....it undermines accomplishments.

Eh. Doesn't mean he necessarily worked harder. He could just be smarter lol. This isn't relevant, but just wanted to put it out there. Working hard doesn't always mean you'll do better.

Just think about Allen Iversion. You're talking about practice. Practice man. Practice. Not a game. Practice. :laugh:. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Funniest interview ever.

Found it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563953

Wisdom by the objective Doc Toothache himself. Enjoy. Pure statistical evidence. No conjectures.

I would believe statistical evidence if it had a simple chart that displayed the GPA or DAT scores broken down by racial groups.

Just because a certain percentage of people at a school are a certain race doesn't mean that they have the same GPA/DAT scores as everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. Doesn't mean he necessarily worked harder. He could just be smarter lol. This isn't relevant, but just wanted to put it out there. Working hard doesn't always mean you'll do better.

Just think about Allen Iversion. You're talking about practice. Practice man. Practice. Not a game. Practice. :laugh:. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Funniest interview ever.

Yeah, I remember that, he said practice like....25 times?

hmmm....I think i'll just stop now before this thread gets closed.

I would believe statistical evidence if it had a simple chart that displayed the GPA or DAT scores broken down by racial groups.

Just because a certain percentage of people at a school are a certain race doesn't mean that they have the same GPA/DAT scores as everyone else.

Hmm I guess I agree. That type of statistical evidence you're looking for isn't available though. Thus, we can't make the conclusion that AA exists nor can we make the conclusion that it doesn't exist. Using the statistical evidence that we do have (From Doc's post), it appears that AA does not give an advantage though. You are making the assumption that AA does exist with your evidence being your personal experiences or what you have heard. Unless, you somehow have access to secret data? lol.

Using the statistical evidence that we do have (From Doc's post), it appears that AA does not give an advantage though. You are making the assumption that AA does exist with your evidence being your personal experiences or what you have heard. Unless, you somehow have access to secret data? lol.

Exactly!!!

Case closed *bangs gavel*:cool:

unless you have some secret data to present to the court?

Yeah, you're dreaming.

Too bad someone with a 3.7 and 23 DAT (which could very well land 4 acceptances) worked harder.

That is what racial preference does....it undermines accomplishments.

They didn't necessarily work harder, maybe they just went to a different school ... or majored in Biology as opposed to Immunology so ...

Exactly!!!

Case closed *bangs gavel*:cool:

unless you have some secret data to present to the court?

Predents, SDN, visits to numerous dental schools, my own dental school I attend, etc.

Nothing with fancy charts but more then enough evidence to show that it does exist. I haven't found anything to show that it doesn't exist.

Go find the URM's in your dental class Tammy (if you even have any in your class lol). Ask them what their stats were. Ask the over represented minorities like asians and indians in your class what their stats were. Compare and contrast and tell me something isn't right.

Predents, SDN, visits to numerous dental schools, my own dental school I attend, etc.

Nothing with fancy charts but more then enough evidence to show that it does exist. I haven't found anything to show that it doesn't exist.

Go find the URM's in your dental class Tammy (if you even have any in your class lol). Ask them what their stats were. Ask the over represented minorities like asians and indians in your class what their stats were. Compare and contrast and tell me something isn't right.

hmm because predents and sdn are such great primary resources. Do you use wikipedia as a reference as well? o_O :laugh:

Edit: I dont doubt that there is some kind of AA ... but dont just assume every URM with lower stats got in because they were URM. Maybe they truly did have something else that stood out on their app. Just like I'm sure every ORM isnt workin with a 4.0 and 25DAT ... there are some who were accepted with lower stats.

hmm because predents and sdn are such great primary resources. Do you use wikipedia as a reference as well? o_O :laugh:

Edit: I dont doubt that there is some kind of AA ... but dont just assume every URM with lower stats got in because they were URM. Maybe they truly did have something else that stood out on their app. Just like I'm sure every ORM isnt workin with a 4.0 and 25DAT ... there are some who were accepted with lower stats.

This actually might surprise you I don't really have a problem with URM and their stats.

I do have a problem with Ukee going around telling everyone she got a 3.1 GPA and a 19 and bragging about how she got 4 acceptances and that everyone can do it too. Thus, she gives them false hope because she doesn't mention everything. She doesn't mention she's URM which increases your odds of interviews/acceptances compared with someone else with the same stats. She also doesn't mention one of the acceptances is Meharry which is URM only.

I'm not saying she ONLY got accepted because she's a URM. But I'm saying her stats + URM status doesn't mean her situation applies to everyone.

Look, the vast majority of those on this forum is smart. Unfortunately, we all think we are smarter than everyone else... For a group of smart people, we should all know that we don't have enough conclusive evidence for either argument. Lets stop blowing hot air, and lets all just agree to disagree. :) :thumbup:

:lock:

This actually might surprise you I don't really have a problem with URM and their stats.

I do have a problem with Ukee going around telling everyone she got a 3.1 GPA and a 19 and bragging about how she got 4 acceptances and that everyone can do it too. Thus, she gives them false hope because she doesn't mention everything. She doesn't mention she's URM which increases your odds of interviews/acceptances compared with someone else with the same stats. She also doesn't mention one of the acceptances is Meharry which is URM only.

I'm not saying she ONLY got accepted because she's a URM. But I'm saying her stats + URM status doesn't mean her situation applies to everyone.

Right behind you all the way dude!

Have no problems with URMs having an 'edge' if thats what you want to call it, although I don't quite see it that way lol? My only gripe is that they are able to get scholarships more easily... but that is besides the point right?!

Anywhooo, let's play a little game...

What is the purpose of dentistry?

What is the purpose of creating dental schools?

How do we ensure that our people will receive the best care possible?

Why is it that certain 'populations' are neglected of care?

Then what is the solution for populations neglected of care?

How do we ensure that these neglected populations receive the best care?

My main point is that competition is relative. Are you able to arrive at the same conclusion as I after answering all of the above questions? Everyone in your class has worked their rear hinds off to get there, just like you.

Why is it bad that a URM got in with lower stats? If I was accepted with lower stats I would be happy. Stop looking at it like a negative thing. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is getting accepted to d-school.

Wow this definitely got off topic.

Fact: Since the amount of spots for dental school is so limited, you have to stand out one way or another to get in. I hope we can all agree on this.

Does getting a high GPA and DAT score make you stand out? Yes.
Does having a parent which donates generously to the school make you stand out? Yes.
Do some of us have extracurriculars that will make us stand out? Yes.
Does being part of a minority group which are under-represented in health care make someone stand out? Yes.

GPA and DAT scores and a big part of the admissions game, but being able to stand out with put you ahead of others.

We all have different cards we can play. Some of us with just naturally stand out more than others in this game.