Some options if did not get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is about 3.1 and im a senior now.
(i have about 25-30 more units to take, and im really going to raise my GPA with these classes and maybe taking some summer classes to raise even more..)

I know my GPA is low so i am very concerned about my future.

I am studying for DAT now and planning to take it possible may-june

But, if i did not get a decent score for DAT, i think my chance of getting into dental school

is really low...

What other options then do i have after graduation

if i did not get into dental school?

raising GPA is impossible right? since i am done with school

what should i do? just re-take DAT and try to get higher school and do volunteers and internship??

thank you and please give me any advices!

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA you can get in. I would do everything you can to get A's in the rest of your courses and kill the DAT. At that point, if you are not satisfied, you can go into a post-bacc program to help raise your GPA. I would imagine if you are over a 3.0 now, with 30 credits to go, if you do well, you'll be fine.

(i have about 25-30 more units to take, and im really going to raise my GPA with these classes and maybe taking some summer classes to raise even more..)

But, if i did not get a decent score for DAT, i think my chance of getting into dental school

is really low...

what should i do? just re-take DAT and try to get higher school and do volunteers and internship??

if you raise your overall to a 3.4 or 3.5 and your sGPA to a 3.5 and kill the dat with a 19 or greater than yes you can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you raise your overall to a 3.4 or 3.5 and your sGPA to a 3.5 and kill the dat with a 19 or greater than yes you can get in.

i wouldn't say a 19 is "killing" the dat.

that equates to a 69th percentile in the year that i took it.

19 is pretty bad imo lol

op should get at least a 21+

19 is pretty bad imo lol

So you took the DAT, and have so many opinions about what a good score is FYI 19 is the average of accepted students so it's not that bad,

All of these opinions you have ... yet you're a pharmacy student?? Something's off ... o_O

yea thats awful advice, and false hope. Shoot for 22 my man. you'll put yourself in a good situation if you're able to do that.

Well actually... a 19 is not the average, it is slightly below the average since its always a 19.4 or something along those lines. It would be safer to be at least 'slightly' ahead of the curve so shoot for a 20 all across the board!

Asians are still considered minorities but we are not considered an under represented minority (URM).

So I suppose its considered moot regardless.... We are the M without the UR!

19 is pretty bad imo lol

hahaha why is a pharm student answering DAT questions?

For your opinion my friend, 19 is the average on the DAT for accepted students. (im surprised you didnt know this) 21 is more than 90th percentile and most people dont get such a high score. You also dont need a 21 at all to get into school. An amazing gpa like 3.6 to 3.7 with a 19 is more than enough. But for most average folks a 3.5 gpa with a 20 will do the trick just fine.

Please dont scare people into thinking that 21s are average, because in fact only 10% of students get 21s :)

Well actually... a 19 is not the average, it is slightly below the average since its always a 19.4 or something along those lines. It would be safer to be at least 'slightly' ahead of the curve so shoot for a 20 all across the board!

19.4 rounded is 19 :) fyi

yea thats awful advice, and false hope. Shoot for 22 my man. you'll put yourself in a good situation if you're able to do that.

lol this advice is even worst.

Asians are still considered minorities but we are not considered an under represented minority (URM).

So I suppose its considered moot regardless.... We are the M without the UR!

Maybe its because asians are not under represented in dental schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
While the average score of most tests may be 19, the average of those admitted to schools may be more: Pitt is a 20 I think, Columbia may be a 22. Depending on the school you are trying to gain admission to, 19 may be below average. It always becomes you to try to score higher.

While the average score of most tests may be 19, the average of those admitted to schools may be more: Pitt is a 20 I think, Columbia may be a 22. Depending on the school you are trying to gain admission to, 19 may be below average. It always becomes you to try to score higher.

The average of admitted students was a 19 (average for all the schools). The average test taker had a 17. This is all in the ADEA reports that Bing12 put up the link for.

Independently, you can use Wikipedia to see that 19.X was the average.

I like how no one answered his question haha. But hey he should take that as a good sign. Don't turn back!!

But in all honesty if I don't get in I seriously don't know whats coming to me. Would that be failure? Maybe a sign.

Of course this would be after trying to apply for like, 4-5 years lol.

The problem with the advice that 19 is the average accepted DAT score is that there are schools with very low averages. Particularly those in the southeastern states where they do not accept OOSers or if they do it's like 5 people. I'm in the mindset that you should look at averages of schools you're applying to. If you chose Harvard, UOP, Columbia, and UPENN you'd need to be working a little bit harder than in state for LSU, UMMC, and Meharry.

ROFL because we were talking in one of my interviews about how everyone on SDN seems to magically have above average GPA's and DAT scores ... I'm so glad I didnt post my stuff on here because everyone would have been screaming "do a post-bacc", "retake the DAT" etc etc etc ...

the bottom line is if your stats aren't as stellar, find something else to blow them out of the park with... for me, I'd done undergrad reasearch for all 4 years + abroad one summer. I used the abroad experience to not only do research but to shadow a dentist in a different country who wrote me an extra LOR. The adcoms LOVED the experience. :)

19 DAT ... 3.1 cGPA 2.9sGPA doesnt seem like someone who'd have 4 acceptances by SDN's standards

Are you an URM?

Btw, Asians are ORM. Check out the class makeup for the USC and NYU classes.

ROFL because we were talking in one of my interviews about how everyone on SDN seems to magically have above average GPA's and DAT scores ... I'm so glad I didnt post my stuff on here because everyone would have been screaming "do a post-bacc", "retake the DAT" etc etc etc ...

the bottom line is if your stats aren't as stellar, find something else to blow them out of the park with... for me, I'd done undergrad reasearch for all 4 years + abroad one summer. I used the abroad experience to not only do research but to shadow a dentist in a different country who wrote me an extra LOR. The adcoms LOVED the experience. :)

19 DAT ... 3.1 cGPA 2.9sGPA doesnt seem like someone who'd have 4 acceptances by SDN's standards

Can you please mention the fact that you're a URM and most non-URMs wouldnt not get in with those stats? Thanks bud. :D You know its good to explain the whole story, not just the best part.

The problem with the advice that 19 is the average accepted DAT score is that there are schools with very low averages. Particularly those in the southeastern states where they do not accept OOSers or if they do it's like 5 people. I'm in the mindset that you should look at averages of schools you're applying to. If you chose Harvard, UOP, Columbia, and UPENN you'd need to be working a little bit harder than in state for LSU, UMMC, and Meharry.

Thats a partially false statement, last year only 22 schools had 19.50 average DAT score meanwhile 36 schools had a 19 or below.

Most people dont apply to Harvard, Columbia or UPENN and the OP is probably not in the position to look at those schools either.

I like how no one answered his question haha. But hey he should take that as a good sign. Don't turn back!!

But in all honesty if I don't get in I seriously don't know whats coming to me. Would that be failure? Maybe a sign.

Of course this would be after trying to apply for like, 4-5 years lol.

i believe i answered it up above.

is really low...

Just so you know, a 3.1 CAN get you into dental school.... but it won't be as easy as (say) someone whos got a 3.5+.

It just means you have to work a little harder and longer doing post-bacc and whatnot getting next to perfect 4.0s.

Do not start thinking about "alternatives".... there is still alot of hope left (all you gotta do is work hard :laugh:)

'Hmmmmm' are you still confusing people with your status?

I'm not tho ... you know what happens when you assume! Isnt it just possible that I filled my apps with 5 years worth of life experiences, volunteerism, and research... o_O

I also applied the first day possible, to a bunch of schools so ...

Umm.....5 years worth of "stuff' doesn't make up for a 3.1 GPA and a 2.9 sGPA unless you have some serious upward trend and took 18 hours of solid science courses. Even then it would still be iffy with a 19.

How did you get accepted at Meharry without being URM? You're not telling us everything.

EDIT: I'll just leave this here......
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11881391&postcount=2

Umm.....5 years worth of "stuff' doesn't make up for a 3.1 GPA and a 2.9 sGPA unless you have some serious upward trend and took 18 hours of solid science courses. Even then it would still be iffy with a 19.

How did you get accepted at Meharry without being URM? You're not telling us everything.

EDIT: I'll just leave this here......
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11881391&postcount=2

In previous posts Ukee has admittted being to URM, but I think he is trying to instill hope into those that are not URM. While its a noble action, its not something thats accurate at all. His situation is unique to him alone because he is a URM. Majority of non-URMs would not get accepted to any dental school with low stats such as those.

Its a fact that URMs get accepted with lower stats.

lol the guy edited the linked post. that's messed up

Most urm minorities live in lala land. They think that the same lowered standards apply to everyone. Virtually every post in this forum along the lines of:

"I have a 2.9 and an 18 DAT and I just got an interview...there is hope"

or

"2.9 gpa and 18 DAT got multiple acceptances with no post bacc....stats aren't everything."

are all black or hispanic.

It's great that you want to give hope but you people need to realize that it does not apply to most applicants. In fact, you're better off posting it in the under represented in health care forum.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they then beat around the bush when answering the question from other members..."what was it that made you stand out." 9/10 they list some stuff (nothing special) and then don't state their race.

Bottom line is if you're not black or hispanice and you have a garbage gpa, you need at least 20 post bacc or graduate credits with a 4.0 and a 22+ DAT

And I agree, "unique life experiences" do not make up for 4 years of mediocrity. "unique life experiences" don't show that you are capable of handling dental school.

Most urm minorities live in lala land. They think that the same lowered standards apply to everyone. Virtually every post in this forum along the lines of:

"I have a 2.9 and an 18 DAT and I just got an interview...there is hope"

or

"2.9 gpa and 18 DAT got multiple acceptances with no post bacc....stats aren't everything."

are all black or hispanic.

It's great that you want to give hope but you people need to realize that it does not apply to most applicants. In fact, you're better off posting it in the under represented in health care forum.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they then beat around the bush when answering the question from other members..."what was it that made you stand out." 9/10 they list some stuff (nothing special) and then don't state their race.

Bottom line is if you're not black or hispanice and you have a garbage gpa, you need at least 20 post bacc or graduate credits with a 4.0 and a 22+ DAT

And I agree, "unique life experiences" do not make up for 4 years of mediocrity. "unique life experiences" don't show that you are capable of handling dental school.

You guys are so delusional. 2.9 with an 18 DAT isn't gonna cut it even if you're purple with green eyes! Every school doesnt just look at numbers. Maybe Ukee did something other than Biology. Maybe her curriculum was intense. Don't be so quick to pull the URM card whenever you see someone has gotten in with lower stats than you. Just be happy for them and keep it movin.

But just playing Devil's Advocate here, according to her, she got a 19 DAT score ... is that not the average of people that are accepted into school? So even if she is URM did she not get a higher DAT than the average person that takes it? (17).

Last edited:
You guys are so delusional. 2.9 with an 18 DAT isn't gonna cut it even if you're purple with green eyes! Every school doesnt just look at numbers. Maybe Ukee did something other than Biology. Maybe his curriculum was intense. Don't be so quick to pull the URM card whenever you see someone has gotten in with lower stats than you. Just be happy for them and keep it movin.

In other news ... anyone care to get back on task here??

Its not being delusional, its being factual.
Facts: URMs get in with lower stats.
What more info do you need?

Its not being delusional, its being factual.
Facts: URMs get in with lower stats.
What more info do you need?

But you're ignoring the fact that even if Ukee is URM, they still hit the average DAT score of those accepted. So to say that's the only reason they got in is rude and ignorant #DevilsAdvocate

But you're ignoring the fact that even if Ukee is URM, they still hit the average DAT score of those accepted. So to say that's the only reason they got in is rude and ignorant #DevilsAdvocate

Yes, average DAT for matriculants and way below average gpa for matriculants.

So, if you have a below average gpa and an average DAT, you aren't competitive.

There are people with below average gpas and 23+ DAT that are having a hard time getting interviews let alone acceptances.

Again, that unique life experience garbage only works for urm.

Rude and ignorant???

Too much truth is occasionally seen as offensive.

You guys are so delusional. 2.9 with an 18 DAT isn't gonna cut it even if you're purple with green eyes! Every school doesnt just look at numbers. Maybe Ukee did something other than Biology. Maybe her curriculum was intense. Don't be so quick to pull the URM card whenever you see someone has gotten in with lower stats than you. Just be happy for them and keep it movin.

But just playing Devil's Advocate here, according to her, she got a 19 DAT score ... is that not the average of people that are accepted into school? So even if she is URM did she not get a higher DAT than the average person that takes it? (17).

Did you miss the part where the OP stated that his sgpa is 2.9?

So, 2.9 and 18DAT won't cut it for anyone, but a 2.9 and a 19 will?

The masking of a 2.9 sgpa starts at 21+, and no that is not an SDN thing. If you don't have a 21+ you better have a 4.0 in a special masters program.

Thats not true at all lol stop making up facts.

Go check out predents.com for some URM profiles and see what their average stats were. Also search some threads.

Why are you arguing anyway? Its good that people get into d-school, who cares if they got in with lower scores or not? URM or not, its a good feeling to work hard and get into school.

Did you miss the part where the OP stated that his sgpa is 2.9?

So, 2.9 and 18DAT won't cut it for anyone, but a 2.9 and a 19 will?

The masking of a 2.9 sgpa starts at 21+, and no that is not an SDN thing. If you don't have a 21+ you better have a 4.0 in a special masters program.

Gee I didn't know I would cause such an uproar. I guess I should have mentioned that rather than the usual 120 credits to graduate, I ended up finishing 2 separate degrees and had around 180 credits, so I guess I did do an informal post-bacc. My science GPA was low due to taking 2 semesters of Physical Chemistry and a 6 credit Biochemistry lab other than that, everything else was good. Sorry I wasnt faulted for taking extra upper level science courses. Is it too hard to think maybe the adcoms saw that?

Gee I didn't know I would cause such an uproar. I guess I should have mentioned that rather than the usual 120 credits to graduate, I ended up finishing 2 separate degrees and had around 180 credits, so I guess I did do an informal post-bacc. My science GPA was low due to taking 2 semesters of Physical Chemistry and a 6 credit Biochemistry lab other than that, everything else was good. Sorry I wasnt faulted for taking extra upper level science courses. Is it too hard to think maybe the adcoms saw that?

righttttttt but you finished with a 2.9 gpa? thats not impressive to anyone. and you're still dodging the truth...

righttttttt but you finished with a 2.9 gpa? thats not impressive to anyone. and you're still dodging the truth...

But my GPA wasn't 2.9... why don't you go through all of my old posts again to prove me wrong ... I'll wait

19 DAT ... 3.3 cGPA 3.1sGPA doesnt seem like someone who'd have 4 acceptances by SDN's standards

congrats

But my GPA wasn't 2.9... why don't you go through all of my old posts again to prove me wrong ... I'll wait

your GPA is still way below average and for some reason you're choosing to conceal the fact you're a URM and you got in with below average stats. Im done. Thanks.

Lol, the guy changed his gpa in his original post....too bad it was already quoted.

You did an informal post bacc and finnished with a 2.9 sci gpa? Again, that isn't going to cut it. With gpa, sometimes you have so many sci credits that your gpa won't budge even after a post bacc.....hence the need for a 23+ DAT.

Any adcom will tell you that if there is a deficiency in one area it must be offset with excellence in another (ie 4.0 masters and killer DAT).

If you had those same stats and were white or asian you wouldn't even land an interview.

I don't have time for this, I have more important things to do than to argue with people I don't even know about things that don't matter.

And btw ... stop calling me a guy! It's annoying ugh

Bitter much?

if you didn't get in, then work harder

I don't have time for this, I have more important things to do than to argue with people I don't even know about things that don't matter.

And btw ... stop calling me a guy! It's annoying ugh

Ukee, I have a question. Why aren't you proud of being a URM? You hide it like some sort of stigma by going back and editing all your old posts.

Obviously, you have some have negative feelings toward it and deep down you probably know that it did give you an edge in admissions. This is the problem with the world. Everyone's turns a blind eye to the obvious truth and looks the other way. Then they think that applies to everyone else as well.

To OP, sorry your thread turned into this lol

Ukee, I have a question. Why aren't you proud of being a URM? You hide it like some sort of stigma by going back and editing all your old posts.

Obviously, you have some have negative feelings toward it and deep down you probably know that it did give you an edge in admissions. This is the problem with the world. Everyone's turns a blind eye to the obvious truth and looks the other way. Then they think that applies to everyone else as well.

To OP, sorry your thread turned into this lol

Maybe because no one likes being told that one of the biggest accomplishments of their lives was handed to them as a result of being an under represented minority. I'm sure he/she worked hard to get where they are today and don't need you all underminding their accomplishments. Obviously 4 different dental schools thought he or she was a good candidate. I imagine the URM effect (if there is one) would work for 1 or 2 acceptances... but you all seem to disregard the fact that they were accepted to 4.

This thread has gotten very sad. I’ll be the first to admit that I got a full ride at a top 10 school most likely because I’m a poor, black girl. But, I also had a 3.9 GPA and 2100 SAT scores. I also was lucky enough to go to a great high school…much better than the one in my neighborhood.

My GPA at school hasn’t been the best, because I’ve struggled to figure out what my goal is in life. My GPA is crap, it’s 2.7c and 2.5s (You can go back and check my other posts for proof). I’m not gonna hope that being an URM will help me get in. Instead, I’m gonna bust my ass for the next 1.5 yrs I’m in undergrad then do a SMP and study hard for the DAT. This past semester went pretty well and I’m proud of my improvements seeing as I hadn’t been taking classes seriously in a year. So far, I have an A in 6 credit course and B in 4 credits. Just waiting on my other two. I gotta admit, it’s really tough work, but it’s super rewarding. I know I have a long road ahead.

To the OP, work hard, improve, and show the admins you want it!

Maybe because no one likes being told that one of the biggest accomplishments of their lives was handed to them as a result of being an under represented minority. I'm sure he/she worked hard to get where they are today and don't need you all underminding their accomplishments. Obviously 4 different dental schools thought he or she was a good candidate. I imagine the URM effect (if there is one) would work for 1 or 2 acceptances... but you all seem to disregard the fact that they were accepted to 4.

Yeah, you're dreaming.

Too bad someone with a 3.7 and 23 DAT (which could very well land 4 acceptances) worked harder.

That is what racial preference does....it undermines accomplishments.

I'm pretty sure Doc Toothache posted something proving that URMs having an edge in admissions is a myth. I'm not too sure though, but I coulda sworn I remember seeing it somewhere.

I stopped reading "the affirmative action myth" after reading about howard or meharry accepting someone with a 12AA.