Some pharmacists can prescribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently ran into a pharmacist (who works in a CVS) that told me in a bragging way, that he could prescribe medication and that not all pharmacists can. First, i didn't think pharmacists had that power. Second, how can a pharmacist in a retail setting know enough on the customer to prescribe? Do they have their medical history somewhere? Lastly, wouldn't that interfere with the treatment being prescribed by the doctor? Unfortunately, i didn't get an opportunity to ask him these questions so i was hoping someone out there might have some answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Florida pharmacists are the only ones with prescribing authority, but it is quite limited in the medications which can be prescribed. We're not talking about OxyContin here, but minor drugs which the customer probably isn't seeing a doctor for in the first place.

Do specializing clinical pharmacists have any prescribing authority?

Members don't see this ad :)
some of the pharmacist has scipt rights in certain states. and if you are in the VA system i believe you have that right as well. We as pharmacist should never be the initiating the first precription. we dont have the knowledge and tools available to make a diagnosis, and come up with the right medication. however, i do think it is reasonable to adjust dosage in certain drugs that drug therapy has been already established initially by a physician. will write more.

Most states give the options of collaborative practice agreements making their prescription authority similar to a PA or NP.

Many hospitals and clinics (i.e. pharmacists working in a physician run clinic) have clinical pharmacists that have the power to prescribe under protocol. That being said, clinical pharmacists are not necessarily diagnosing, because what ends up happening most likely is that a physician diagnoses and then leaves the actual decision of which drug treatment to start the patient on to the pharmacist. Patients who regularly see a clinical pharmacist for management of their meds can have their prescriptions modified (i.e. switch hypertensive drugs if the patient doesn't seem to be responding well to one type) or dosages changed by the pharmacist, again, under protocol. All changes must be logged in the patient's chart and is open for review by the physician.

In the retail setting, in some states, a pharmacist can change a prescription from brand name to generic, or vice versa, depending on what the insurance will cover and what the patient is willing to pay. For example, if the patient really wants brand name but insurance will only pay for generic, the pharmacist can go ahead and give the brand name if the patient is willing to pay it all out of pocket (no co-pay) and this change is of course documented and a record is sent to the physician. Hopefully that's mostly accurate, maybe someone else can fill us in a little more and correct any mistakes I might have written.