Some post bac advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jandy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a graduating senior this year and in the situation where I didnt get into any dental schools for next year. I need some advice in finding a post bac program. The only ones that i could find are for people without a science degree or for the underrepresented or already too late to apply.
Also, will completing a post bac program be helpful or is it better to apply to a grad school in biology? Also, for the grad school route, are there programs where a thesis is not required, and only consist of graduate levels courses?

And finally, if grad school or post bac program does not work out, would taking upper div. science courses through an extension program be beneficiall in anyway? and does the school i take the classes matter, such as from a cal state, or UC?

And any other suggestions are helpful...
and i am in Southern california btw

Members don't see this ad.

IF you want to be competitive across a broad spectrum of schools and are a physical science major, then completing a masters program might be the better option. Either way, you can boost your chances next time by increasing that DAT score, getting some quality hands on exposure to the dental field, getting involved in a dental related research project, and making a positive impression on the professors and professionals who will write your letters of recommendation.

Hello
I agree with groundhog that if you can get a masters, it would be better. However, a post bach will help out a lot too! When I graduated, I also looked around for Masters w/o thesis, and Post bachs, but really never found any in california. however, I currently am in a masters w/o thesis, but I had to move to antoher state. I don't know if you're only looking into ca schools? Or--as an alternative, maybe you can get into a masters w/ thesis, and then apply to Dental school. If you are accepted, just drop out of the Masters program.
As far as UC vs Cal State--I really don't think it matters where it is from. I think the admission comittee just wants to see that you were interested in higher education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jandy,

Check your Private Message (PM) in your SDN Profile!

I can't comment about Post Bach programs but I can help you out a lot on the Masters route. I just got done with mine (almost 2 years). Pretty much the first year was courses with medical students (histology/gross anatomy/etc) and the second year was all research. I personally would recommend a non-Thesis program. That's only b/c I hate research. It's boring.

Anyways, whatever you do, make sure it's a full class load of science. That demonstrates that you can handle a similar dental curriculum.

Don't worry about "will the dental school's want me to finish my program b4 accepting me?" Most of them don't care.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have enrolled in a non-Thesis program...but I couldn't find one in Chicago in time. Last thing, don't just enroll in 1 or 2 classes here and there. Be a full-time student...Hope that helps!

Since you're in SoCal don't even think about the MS in Physiological sciences at UCLa. Lame program where you learn nothing of value and have to write a thesis.

Oral Biology at UCLA seems like a good idea and great prep for dental school.

What ever you choose make sure you like it and aren't just doing it to better your chances because you'll easily lose motivation.

hey I'm a reapplicant who just finished a year of postbacc classes...I'll let you know what happens this year when I apply! My undergrad gpa was 3.0 and 2.7 science...this year of postbacc (all science classes) was a 3.3. I hope it worked! :)

oh, and my first DAT was an 18/17, and I'm retaking it this august. :)

Seemsema,

Looks like you're coming along great!! I remember how freaked out your were last year at this time, now you'll have a 3.3 to show for in your graudate GPA column in the AADSAS application. Once you increase your DAT, you'll be all set, I bet ya! Good luck.

:clap:

thanks Yah-E! :clap: :D