Some questions about becoming a DO .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was answered somewhere else, but I did a search and didn't come up with clear answers. Thank You in advance for your input.

1) Do DO's make same money as a MD ? (Obviously money is not a concern here but just curious).

2) Can a DO do everything as an MD, i.e Are there any field that a DO is not 'allowed' in ?

3) Can a DO become a 'Fellow' in their field ?, if so, then are they treated the same as an MD Fellow ?

4) What about the rotations ?.. Is it the same as a MD Rotation ?, if different then how so ?

5) Is US the only country that has DO's ?

Thanks so much. Greatly apprecieted. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes
4) yes, except for an OMT rotation
5) no, but osteopaths overseas are not comparable to MD's, in that they use manipulation only (as far as I know)

take it easy

homonculus

D.O.'s can practice in other countries.

For more information about this contact AACOM. I have heard that the exact person to talk to would be Robert Ruiz.

Here is a link to more information about contacting them.
http://www.aacom.org/about/staff.html

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kornphan:
•Sorry if this was answered somewhere else, but I did a search and didn't come up with clear answers. Thank You in advance for your input.

1) Do DO's make same money as a MD ? (Obviously money is not a concern here but just curious).

2) Can a DO do everything as an MD, i.e Are there any field that a DO is not 'allowed' in ?

3) Can a DO become a 'Fellow' in their field ?, if so, then are they treated the same as an MD Fellow ?

4) What about the rotations ?.. Is it the same as a MD Rotation ?, if different then how so ?

5) Is US the only country that has DO's ?

Thanks so much. Greatly apprecieted. :confused:

It's alright to ask questions.... that's the point of the forum.... whether or not it's a repeat.

1) Yes, $$$DO = $$$MD

2) Yes, DO can do anything an MD does (dermatology, neurology, orthopedic surgery, family practice, etc., etc., etc) plus more.... A DO can specialize in osteopathic manipulative medicine which an MD cannot.

3) Yes, DO can be fellows in any field and treated equally. But an MD cannot do a fellow in osteopathic manipulative medicine. For some reason or another, an MD cannot do AOA-ONLY approved rotations. The AOA-ONLY approved rotations are only open to DO's. The AOA (American Osteopathic Association) does not want AMA on certain things.... it's all politics if you ask me.... So in general a DO can do both an AMA and AOA approved rotations but an MD can only do AMA approved rotations.

4) Yes, the DO is allowed to do any MD rotations.... No different...

5) No, Europe and Australia, come into mind, but they have limited practice such as practicing only osteopathic manipulative medicine.... but I'm sure that will change someday.... I know that there's a DO is travelling all over the world helping third world countries and at the same time educating them of the osteopathic principles and philosophies.... hoping that other countries will welcome and incorportate osteopathic medicine into their health care system.

WOW !. Thank you all for your quick and concise answers, greatly appreciated. Some more questions come to mind now (since I have to decide soon).

A) Why should I consider being a DO over an MD from the Carribean ?. Some folks are telling me that it's better to be an MD even if it means going to the 'islands'. Some are saying that it's better to be a DO because you have a better chance of a match in the US in what you want to do. Whats are the facts here ?.

B) To expand on the question above, why do so many bright students opt and go to the islands instead of being a DO in the states ?.

C) I want to do Plastic Surgery, are my chances better being a DO or an MD from the Caribe ?.

D) What does a DO school look at GPA, MCAT's or what ?.

Thanks so much, just want to make an educated decision with all your help. :)

If you are seriously asking if a Carribean med school is better than a D.O. school you shouldn't even think about going to a D.O. school.

No one in their right mind, if they have really researched the idea, would choose to go to an island near Cuba rather than being a DO. Granted, things don't come easy as a DO student (rotations, residencies) but some of the brightest and best residents and doctors I have met were DO's. I certainly don't have an inferiority complex by being a DO.

An MDs observation to me, about us, is that we have bigger chips on our shoulders...and that makes us better doctors, because we work harder for our dues.

Well, any way you want to take it.

-dieselkid