Some questions about HPSP after Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskibot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to apply for the Navy HPSP when I apply for med school, but I do have some questions.

After reading through reddit and some of the posts on there, I have seen some people viewing their GMO tour as a "waste of time"? In a sense that it delayed their residency?

So how does that all work? After med school, you may get assigned a GMO tour where you can can be a primary care, flight, or dive doctor? Then after the 2-3 year tour you go to your residency, and then after that is when the 4 year commitment time kicks in when you become an attending?

I heard Army HPSP was easier to apply to and doesnt too often send you on a GMO your? I also heard that Air Force is the hardest to get? But havent heard anything about their GMO situation, not sure if they are all the same or not

Are there anything else on the "downside" that I might want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to apply for the Navy HPSP when I apply for med school, but I do have some questions.

After reading through reddit and some of the posts on there, I have seen some people viewing their GMO tour as a "waste of time"? In a sense that it delayed their residency?

So how does that all work? After med school, you may get assigned a GMO tour where you can can be a primary care, flight, or dive doctor? Then after the 2-3 year tour you go to your residency, and then after that is when the 4 year commitment time kicks in when you become an attending?

I heard Army HPSP was easier to apply to and doesnt too often send you on a GMO your? I also heard that Air Force is the hardest to get? But havent heard anything about their GMO situation, not sure if they are all the same or not

Are there anything else on the "downside" that I might want to know?

After graduating medical school you will at least complete an internship. You cannot become licensed without at least that. Your internship can either be part of a residency (IM, EM, OB, surgery, etc), or it can be a dedicated transitional internship, in which you rotate through various specialties over 1 year. If you are tabbed for a GMO tour you go to your unit when you finish internship. Nowadays, GMO tours are at least 2 years, maybe more. Army has GMO tours too but they are less common than Navy.

If you are interested in HPSP, it's usually easier to have a med school acceptance in hand first, so you've got time. Spend some time on this forum and try to get an idea as to what milmed is like and see if you still want to apply. Good luck.

After graduating medical school you will at least complete an internship. You cannot become licensed without at least that. Your internship can either be part of a residency (IM, EM, OB, surgery, etc), or it can be a dedicated transitional internship, in which you rotate through various specialties over 1 year. If you are tabbed for a GMO tour you go to your unit when you finish internship. Nowadays, GMO tours are at least 2 years, maybe more. Army has GMO tours too but they are less common than Navy.

If you are interested in HPSP, it's usually easier to have a med school acceptance in hand first, so you've got time. Spend some time on this forum and try to get an idea as to what milmed is like and see if you still want to apply. Good luck.

Thank you. What about Air Force in terms of GMO tours?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's somewhere between Army and Navy in terms of frequency. I don't have any data to back that up.

If you're concerned about a GMO tour (and you should be) the best practice is to avoid the military.

Are you/were you on HPSP? What branch?