Some questions about my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovefishing128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here is my situation...

I am currently in law school, finished my first year, didn't do badly... got a big law firm job my first summer and I didn't really like it... Basically I have figured out that there is more in life than making a big paycheck.

So I am now considering pursuing a MD and becoming a doctor.

Anyways, my undergrad was in Econ and I have taken none of the preqs except for 1 sem of Bio, calc, and eng.

I have done some research and know about the post-bacc programs that are offered at a bunch of schools... But I was wondering how much it would hurt me to just take the pre-reqs at a community college.

I searched around on this site and there seems to be a split between people who think that taking CCs are frowned upon, and others who think it doesn't matter too much.

Basically, I would prefer to take the pre-reqs at a CC than a post-bacc because it would be $3000 vs $30,000.

If I were to take the pre-reqs over this spring/summer and next year, would I have a shot at getting into med school? (Assuming I do well on the MCATs like 30+)

Oh, and my undergrad GPA sucked... 3.3.

Thanks for any help or insight you guys might provide

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, welcome and you definitely have a shot if you do well with your sciences and MCAT.

However, expect to field questions on your change. You are talking about dropping out of a professional degree program to try and get into another one. The explanation that you didn't like being a lawyer will work, IF you can show tons of shadowing and clinical exposure to assure them you won't decide the same thing about medicine.

As for cc, I would not recommend; but that doesn't mean you have to do a formal post-bacc.

I signed up at the local 4-year state univ, and took all my lab sciences. The list is pretty consistent, so you can do it yourself and save a ton of money over a formal program.

Note: if you enroll as degree seeking (ie declare a major such as Bio like you are going to earn another BS) you are eligible for financial aid. You then only take the classes you need, take the MCAT and apply.

Good luck.

fully agree with above poster. No CC other than for one or 2 classes that you really can't schedule otherwise, and no need for a formal postbac program either.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my Biology I and II professor is also on the UTHSCSA adcom... or used to be. He said that personally, he thinks people going through his Bio and Micro classes offered at the 2 year college he teaches at are just as competitive as someone that takes them all 4 years. His explanation was that while yes, it can be tougher to get through early science classes in a 4 year, that doesn't mean the information is retained.

Do well on your MCAT, and it prob. wont weigh against you imo.

One more thing... Would I be able to get into a decent med school? (top 70 ish)?

Any other opinions about CC v. 4 year? in my case?

Thanks again!

I also agree with declaring an undergrad major, such as bio. You could probably transfer in as a senior and therefore get first dibs on registering for classes! In vet med, they would accept some cc credits, but strongly encouraged 4 yr. I personally think there are some great professors at cc since they are actually interested in teaching and not doing research. I would suggest calling some med schools you are interested in and asking them specifically. That way, you can't go wrong.

OP,

I don't have anything useful to add, so feel free to ignore this post, BUT....

I was reading this on my phone, and before I zoomed in (blocky text), your username looked it it said "fist" not "fish". Suffice it to say, I was appalled and then laughed hysterically.

Carry on.

One more thing... Would I be able to get into a decent med school? (top 70 ish)?

Any other opinions about CC v. 4 year? in my case?

Thanks again!

All med schools are decent. Unlike law school, there isn't much difference between schools (except for the MD/DO difference), and going to one of the top ten med schools won't help you all that much. Apply to your state school, a few reach schools, and a few less competitive schools, and you should do fine. Definitely stay away from CCs. You need to prove that you can handle the tough course load of medical school by taking the prereqs at a 4 year college, especially since your GPA is below average for med school. Just go to your local state college, there's no need to do a formal postbac program.

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation...

I am currently in law school, finished my first year, didn't do badly... got a big law firm job my first summer and I didn't really like it... Basically I have figured out that there is more in life than making a big paycheck.

Are people not stating their feelings about this the correct way, or are people really believing that all lawyers do is crappy, unrewarding work and get a huge paycheck on the backside? There are plenty of chances to do rewarding work as a lawyer, and not all lawyers get paid big bucks.

To answer your question, though, go to the nearest non-CC University and major in Biology, then take only the classes you need to cover your pre-reqs, apply to med school, ?, profit.

Meh... I still think doing the first 2 years at a 2 year is fine. My 4.0 science gpa won't be tossed aside for a 3.8 from a 4 year... Especially since I will get my degree from a reputable 4 year.

There is a bad stigma on 2 year colleges. Being in a class with 200 other people doesn't make you a better candidate for med school if you get good grades. It just means you sat close to the front ;) (that was a joke).

My first try at college wasn't great in 2003. I had a 4.0 science gpa, but I didn't care about other classes. I also WF in a few and got Cs. Since I am using the fresh start provision, I will only apply to Texas Schools, but in the mean time I am retaking all the classes I took at that private 4 year university since the losing of my credits is all or none. I can honestly say that Chem here at the CC is MUCH harder than at the 4 year private university.

If you get a high GPA, score well on the MCAT, and have good LOR, EC, and so forth... You will have a great shot.

Aside from a prof. that was on an adcom, my medical director (sleep center/respiratory care) is an assistant prof. at UTHSCSA. When I asked her what she thought, she asked me what what cheaper. I voiced the stigma that lots of premeds put on a 4 year, and she laughed. Her response was:

"If you score higher than a 32 here in Texas and have a GPA of above 3.6, you have a great shot. It doesn't matter where you took your first 2 levels of coursework, as long as you meet the pre-reqs for the degree you are setting after and the school you want to apply to."

Aside from a prof. that was on an adcom, my medical director (sleep center/respiratory care) is an assistant prof. at UTHSCSA. When I asked her what she thought, she asked me what what cheaper. I voiced the stigma that lots of premeds put on a 4 year, and she laughed. Her response was:

"If you score higher than a 32 here in Texas and have a GPA of above 3.6, you have a great shot. It doesn't matter where you took your first 2 levels of coursework, as long as you meet the pre-reqs for the degree you are setting after and the school you want to apply to."

I am not premed and I've been sitting on the admission committee for 4 years now. I am telling the OP what people look for at my school (one of the major northeast powerhouses). Of course there are exceptions, but the exception is not the norm. I would not go to an Ivy for the prereqs, but I'd stay away from CC if you want the best shot possible.

I am not premed and I've been sitting on the admission committee for 4 years now. I am telling the OP what people look for at my school (one of the major northeast powerhouses). Of course there are exceptions, but the exception is not the norm. I would not go to an Ivy for the prereqs, but I'd stay away from CC if you want the best shot possible.

I know you are correct, but something inside me wants to fight this! I can guarandamtee that the normal premed applicant won't be nearly on my level when it comes to basic science. It just sucks to hear that it matters that someone took the first 2 years at X CC, and got accepted into a science program at a good private or 4 year as a transfer student. Especially when they are able to continue the 4.0 trend and score mid 30s on the MCAT.

I mean, don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but we literally use the same f-ing professor and book that the equivalent class at UTSA AND OLLU use. I'm not trying to put my eggs in the basket before they are layed, but I worked darn hard to keep this 4.0 trend going. I don't see it slipping out of my fingers. It would suck to get it wiped away from some pre-med right out of college, having "shadowed" a doctor or two, because he complete Bio, Chem, O Chem and Physics 101 at some CC, yet continued to make the same grade in their upper levels..... Makes me wonder why I turned down the Army's PA program for my dream to pursue med school..... (sorry all, just ranting at this point)

I think the community college vs. 4-year vs. formal postbacc question depends on where you want to go to medical school (and also perhaps if you need to make up for a shoddy undergrad record). UW is far and away my first choice, and they say that it doesn't matter (to them) if you take community college classes. I took my pre-reqs at a community college, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of education I received. I didn't take an MCAT review class, and I got a 33 on the August 5th sitting. Heart set on Johns Hopkins or Harvard? Then don't even think about CC.

Here's my take:

CC is fine if you then transfer to a four year program and major in a science thus taking and getting good grades in major courses at a higher level proving your CC classes prepared you properly. A few schools and also some pre-med advisors all said something along these lines. CC has a stigma, right or wrong, it is there. Not having a previous science degree, you should avoid CC classes. I have a physics degree, but returned to school after 12 years to take prereqs. I am now redoing some of those prereqs because a few schools flat out said they won't take CC classes as prereqs.

Med school rankings don't meant much according to all of my friends who are already practicing physicians. Your board scores and interview get you your residency and you make your reputation in your residency. Again, these are the words from physicians I know. Sure, a bigger name school might get you a few more connections to help with residency interviews, but that isn't the major factor from what I hear.

About lawyers: there are some job that are not all about money grubbing. There is legal aid, public defender, prosecution, and probably some other things like working for a charity as well. I was married to a prosecutor and always made more money than her until I decided to go back to school.

Hi There,

My first piece of advice (for what it's worth), is to be sure that you are getting into medicine because it is your calling/passion, not just because you are looking a way to escape law or save face for quitting law school. So, before you get to involved in the premed path do more research, shadow some docs, etc. And ask yourself honestly? Am I doing this to escape my current situation or because medicine is what I really want.

OK, now, assuming that you really want to be a physician....

With a strong MCAT and good post-bac grades you can certainly get into a med school, even if you do take CC classes. BUT you are not likely to get into a top med school that way (not that it's important to get into a top med school). Do some research on M.D. and D.O. schools that you are interested in. Narrow it to a list of ten. Then, look at the stats for those schools. Also contact the admissions departments of those schools and ask them how taking community college classes will impact your chances of getting in. Ask them what they are looking for in an applicant. Also look closely at their mission statements - and read between the lines to see if you are a good fit for the school.

Another thing - From what I can see, it seems much easier to get into your in-state schools than to be accepted out of state, even for private schools.

Good luck

Hello everyone,
Basically, I would prefer to take the pre-reqs at a CC than a post-bacc because it would be $3000 vs $30,000.

Oh, and my undergrad GPA sucked... 3.3.

FYI, I took all my prereqs at my local state university. Total bill was $6800 for:

- Bio 1-2
- Pre-Calc
- Gen Chem 1-2
- Phys 2
- Cell Bio
- Org Chem 1-2

over the course of 4 semesters. Check out the actual cost of what a 4-year university will cost you...it might not be as bad as you think. Classes at a CC will probably hurt your chances, might not affect your chances, but without a doubt won't help your chances. If at all possible, spend the extra money to avoid a CC.

Your GPA's fine. A's in your pre-reqs can pull that up to a 3.4-3.5, plus your BCPM GPA should jump way up. Come up with a good, solid reason for your leaving law school to pursue medicine (and I mean good), ace your pre-reqs, and you stand a good chance.

I just received my acceptance letter to an MD school on Friday.

Stats?

cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.01 (MAJOR upward trend in GPA)
MCAT: 36Q

Good luck!

Most of the people advising you here are going to be premeds, applicants (like me) and medical students. For the most part, all we have to go on is what we've been told by other premeds, applicants and medical students ... and if we're lucky, a medical school admissions committee member or two who shed light on their school's stand on cc vs. 4-year credits.

I called a bunch of medical schools (DO and MD) that I was considering and some said no problem, a couple said we'd rather you take them at a 4-year, and one said we don't accept those credits (interestingly, that was one of my "state" schools). I did this *after* I started the classes, because I started them not knowing I'd be applying to medical school one day.

You may be applying to a completely different crop of schools. Call them.

Overall though, you'd assume the average person's prejudices would lead them to believe an A in ochem at Harvard > state school > community college. But does that mean you won't get in with your CC credits? Heck no.

If you can afford a post-bacc, do it. If you can afford a public 4-year with a solid premed program (and a committee to give you a letter, bonus!) do it. I couldn't afford either. I was unemployed and totally broke, and I didn't know if I could hack it so CC was my only option. I had maxed out my federal loans with undergrad. So I took bio and gen chem to see how I'd do. I was thinking about PA school, maybe. Then I kept going and getting A's, and now I'm on the crazy train with everyone else on SDN. The upside was my professors were AWESOME. I learned way more in these classes than I did at my hoity toity undergrad, where I took gen chem with 300 others. I had 20 kids in my classes at the CC, if that. The people who taught me had PhDs from U of Chicago and Penn, among others. The downside? These guys don't write many rec letters for medical school. I'm basically holding their hands while they do it.

Now, I've been accepted to a public 4-year near me and will probably take an upper level bio class in the spring to keep my mind fresh and prepare for the possibility of a reapp season. I'm not saying go to a CC, but don't NOT take the classes because you can't afford the 4-year. Do what you've got to do.