Some Questions about research in med school and after...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD please

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some really basic questions about research in general. Sorry in advance if they seem dumb, but I can't seem to find good answers anywhere else. I am applying to med schools in June so I guess that would be the 2011 cycle. I did not do any research in undergrad (I was a history major and was told i needed more lab classes to do research) So here goes -

1. I know that I want to do some research in and especially after med school, so does it matter whether or not I go to a "research school"? Will the schools that aren't "research" schools still have opportunities for med students to do research?

2. Is it necessary to get an MD/PhD to do research after med school?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi MD please,

You're using rather broad strokes to describe your situation. What sort of research do you mean? What interests you? Traditional bench? Clinical?

Typically what one does is find the sort of field they are interested in and that scout out specific people that are doing related work. Then, you apply to those places.

If you have never participated in research before, then what you'll actually do will be very limited. Do you bring any valuable skills?

You do not need to go to a top NIH funded school to do 'research', but they will have more resources. I go to a DO school, which typically have small research efforts. However, they do the sort of research I am interested in (geriatric and diabetic outcomes) and I have several papers published in the past year relating to things I enjoy. They also give me a big discount on tuition

2. Is it necessary to get an MD/PhD to do research after med school?
No, it is not, although again I would ask, what do you mean by 'research'?

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my extremely vague questions. I know I was being really broad. I think I mean bench research, although maybe clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for taking the time to answer my extremely vague questions. I know I was being really broad. I think I mean bench research, although maybe clinical.

Best to go to a med school that is a top 40-50 NIH-funding school -- this isn't always congruent to the US New rankings. Or... you go to a lower-ranked NIH-funded school, but in the same city as a top NIH-funded school, you just go over to that other school for opportunities.

You do NOT have to be MD-PhD. I'm a MD student. Going into neuro :xf:, a field which is research-heavy.

There are tons of research opportunities as MD student, either as part of your MD credits (petition your school for credit on your research), summer fellowships ( thru your school, national societies, etc), year-long fellowships (Doris Duke, Fulbright, etc).

Biggest thing is that if you don't like whatever research you're trying out, don't torture yourself by sticking with it. I started in high school, and tried out several types... clinical, bench, non-science. I actually went so far as to interview several different research options before starting each new research project that I took on -- ie I visited the PI and met the co-workers... environment is a substantial factor if you're not working on your own proposal... even then, no man is an island.

There will be something just right for you. Research is just a fancy word for learn :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually thinking about going into neuro. Although I've heard all that changes once you get to med school.

Any idea where I can find a list of NIH funding for med schools?? I tried a search on SDN and on google and I couldn't find any comprehensive list.