Some questions about the Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rc4ch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I hope you guys dont mind answering some easy questions for me.

So I'm planning on applying in June, and I told the Premed committee at my school that I want my premed committee letters by june/july. They tell me that I don't need those letters by September/October because the "secondary" applications only need them. So I told them that I don't want to get screwed by late letters, etc. So when is the general timing when I need my premed committee letters? I'm not sure, but I wanted to make sure I get them as early as possible thats the reason why I said I wanted them by June/July. Could you guys helped me out? I told the committee head I was going to look for evidence that Sept/Oct is way too late. lol.

And one last thing, what is needed for the primary application? Just GPA, MCAT scores, and the personal statement? I tried looking around for a website that tells me what I need to do and what things I need to include during Primary app and Secondary app but I can't find any info anywhere. I have the MSAR and it doesnt really tell me much info about that.

Thanks a lot SDN, and I appreciate any help any of you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

September/October isn't "late" for LORs, but if you're planning on submitting your primary June, you're likely to get secondary requests much earlier than that. I would push them to get them in earlier if possible.

Regarding the primary application, all of the info is on the AMCAS website. Secondary app requirements depend completely on the individual schools.

Getting your stuff in earliest is best. I don't know what kind of 'proof' they want, but it's your future not theirs. Why do they have the right to gamble with it?

Primaries also allow you to add 15 ec's with a description with a length limit that I do not remember. Also, there's a spot for you to select your schools, however you can add schools after your primary is processed.

1) Try to convince the committee to get the composite letter done as early as possible. As ADeadLois siad, September isn't too late but if you plan to submit in early June (which is good) you will probably get secondary prompts a lot sooner.

2) The AMCAS website will tell you everything you need to know about the primary. The short answer: it has your uGPA (you'll need to send transcripts from every institution you took a college level course at), MCAT (all of them you have ever taken), Personal Statement, and a list/description of Extra-Curricular's. It will also have the basics, like where you went to school at, what degree you got (will get), if you were ever subject to institutional disciplinary action, if you were convicted of a crime, etc etc...
http://www.aamc.org/audienceamcas.htm

3) Secondaries vary a great deal from school to school. Some have quite a few additional things to list and write about, some have nothing other than an application fee. The secondary prompt thread will help you a great deal:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=419935