Some Questions for those who are familiar with AECOM area...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at AECOM in two weeks. I live around Baltimore, MD. Based on directions online, it seems to be only about 4 hours driving. The hotel that I am looking at is right off I-95 and is only about 2 miles away from the school (it is in the Bronx). I have to say though, a one-person room is 85 dollars. But I would rather spend money and be comfortable and not have to worry about getting to the school on time the next day, because they want me to be there at 8:30 am.

Any way about getting to NYC, the thing is I heard that traffic on the George Washington bridge could be pretty bad especially on a weekday evening. I was planning to leave Baltimore around 2 pm to get there around 7 (assuming the traffic is not too bad).

Today, I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested that I either take the bus, or amtrak to get to New York because it would be much easier to not have a car. Besides, he said that there are so many tolls that I probably end up paying so much money for the tolls. However, the problem with those is that I would still need to worry about how to get from the station to the hotel. Furthermore, unless I take the train, I would have to worry about the bus going through traffic as well. Sadly, Amtrac is VERY expensive.

I also called the hotel that I am planning to stay at and the person there suggested that it would be better for me to drive. They will also let me park my car at their hotel on my interview day and I can come pick it up after I am done with my interview. I am so confused about what to do, because the last thing I want is to have to worry about finding my way in NYC. :scared:

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm currently in Baltimore and just interviewed at AECOM this week. Here's what I did because I have absolutely no clue how to get around NYC and didn't want to get lost with buses/subways etc.

Amtrak from Penn Station to NYC Penn Station at 7:30 or so AM.
Got to NYC after 10 AM, then took a taxi to AECOM. If you want a taxi, make sure you print out directions from Google maps or something because my taxi driver didn't know how to get to AECOM. Luckily, I had read about this issue on SDN so I was prepared with directions. The ride cost over $40.
After my interview, the admissions office was nice enough to call a taxi for me and I was dropped off at the train station, then took Amtrak back to Baltimore.
Might be more expensive than driving there yourself (I have no idea about tolls), but I was willing to pay more and not have to worry too much about getting there.

I do the D.C. - NY trip often because my in-laws live in Silver Spring. It takes 3.5 hours if there is no traffic, which is usually the case at nite when I drive. Baltimore is closer so you can do it in 3. Traffic going into the city in the morning and out of the city in the evening is the worst ( the GWB is terrible ). If money is not an issue, just take the Amtrak to Manhattan and then the subway to AECOM. Once you get off the subway, it is 20 minutes on the bus or you can just take a taxi from Manhattan.

If you take a bus, though, Greyhound goes right into Penn Station and it usually runs on time so I wouldnt worry about the traffic. Either way come the day before because you dont want to leave at 4 am to get to the interview on time.