some questions on the verbal section in April 05 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUscrewed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that just took the MCAT, how many passages were in the verbal section- still 9?

Do you remember about how many lines most passages had- about 1 1/2 columns (60 lines) or 2 (90 lines)?

Were the questions evenly distributed on a per passage basis- i.e. did each passage have 6-8 questions or did one have way too many like 9-10?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, nine passages:

2 passages, both of medium length, had 10 questions (and were surprisingly straightforward)
4 passages, of varying length, had 5 questions
2 passages, one very long, one medium, had 7 questions
1 passage of short length had 6 questions (but, damn it was hard)

Overall, I felt pretty good about it. Only one (the 6 question passage) qualified as a killer in my book. The long ones (10 questions), with the exception of one or two each, were pretty straightforward.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions.

On my exam (FM), there were 9 passages. Most were about a column and a half. One was about 2 full columns. Two passages had 10 questions, two had 5 questions, and the rest were between 6 and 8.

docmorgan said:
On my exam (FM), there were 9 passages. Most were about a column and a half. One was about 2 full columns. Two passages had 10 questions, two had 5 questions, and the rest were between 6 and 8.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER ALL THIS!!! I cant even remember a single passage, let alone how many questions it had! you guys sure have an elephant's memory!!!....its gonna help you in med school i suppose... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had nine passages. the first passage had five questions. other passages had five questions too. many passages had six questions. BUT what I Do remember is that where two passages with 12 questions each, and these passages were much longer than the average passage and had a lot more information to integrate

RUscrewed said:
For those that just took the MCAT, how many passages were in the verbal section- still 9?

Do you remember about how many lines most passages had- about 1 1/2 columns (60 lines) or 2 (90 lines)?

Were the questions evenly distributed on a per passage basis- i.e. did each passage have 6-8 questions or did one have way too many like 9-10?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thank you for the input. It seems that all of you had at least one monster passage with a ton of questions. The reason I ask is because I'm having timing issues with finishing the test, and wanted to get all the inside info I possibly could. Although EK stresses not to prioritize passages (and do them all in order) I am thinking that it would be better to make sure to finish the monster passage before dedicating time to smaller ones. Thanks again.

RUscrewed said:
Thank you for the input. It seems that all of you had at least one monster passage with a ton of questions. The reason I ask is because I'm having timing issues with finishing the test, and wanted to get all the inside info I possibly could. Although EK stresses not to prioritize passages (and do them all in order) I am thinking that it would be better to make sure to finish the monster passage before dedicating time to smaller ones. Thanks again.

This seems like an efficient strategy. I usually finish VR with about 20-25 minutes to spare, so I had a good buffer for what happened on test day: the monster passages in my form were passages 6 & 8, so I paced for even dispersion of questions and lost about 15 minutes of my buffer when I hit them due to fatigue.

Had I known the test would be like that, I would have done them first and spent less time on the passages with less questions, as they definitely didn't need as much attention to detail.