Some Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DukeDevils9192

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior, getting ready to start applying for colleges and all that fun stuff, and at the moment, I'm interested in becoming a psychiatrist, but still, there are quite a few questions I have (some that may be relevant, and some that will leave some of you saying, "What the heck is this kid doing on this board taking up space?")

Here are just a few of the many things I've wondered (and from what I've read on here and heard from others, you guys are a good group of people, with good answers):

How much psychology did you take in college? Is it important to have a pretty good background in psychology before going to med school for psychiatry?

Do some psychiatrists attempt to try to be therapists with some patients before prescibing medication?

Do private practices tend to bring lucrative salaries? I won't lie and say that money isn't something that has crossed my mind, because it is. I'd like to work in a private practice some day, simply because at the moment, I love the concept--I may change my feelings, but for now, that's what sounds good to me.

This is a more general, final, question...I was not an outstanding science student in high school, but I honestly feel that was due to the apathy of my teachers, not of my own. For instance, my biology teacher didn't write her own notes or make up her own tests, so when we asked questions about something in the chapter, she couldn't explain, only say, "Look in your notes," where they weren't there. I'm willing to work my butt off in school--do you think the shaky background I have will hurt me, even if I'm willing to work hard in all my science courses?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DukeDevils9192
I'm a high school senior, getting ready to start applying for colleges and all that fun stuff, and at the moment, I'm interested in becoming a psychiatrist, but still, there are quite a few questions I have (some that may be relevant, and some that will leave some of you saying, "What the heck is this kid doing on this board taking up space?")

Here are just a few of the many things I've wondered (and from what I've read on here and heard from others, you guys are a good group of people, with good answers):

How much psychology did you take in college? Is it important to have a pretty good background in psychology before going to med school for psychiatry?

Do some psychiatrists attempt to try to be therapists with some patients before prescibing medication?

Do private practices tend to bring lucrative salaries? I won't lie and say that money isn't something that has crossed my mind, because it is. I'd like to work in a private practice some day, simply because at the moment, I love the concept--I may change my feelings, but for now, that's what sounds good to me.

This is a more general, final, question...I was not an outstanding science student in high school, but I honestly feel that was due to the apathy of my teachers, not of my own. For instance, my biology teacher didn't write her own notes or make up her own tests, so when we asked questions about something in the chapter, she couldn't explain, only say, "Look in your notes," where they weren't there. I'm willing to work my butt off in school--do you think the shaky background I have will hurt me, even if I'm willing to work hard in all my science courses?

Although any psychiatrist would benefit from taking some psychology in college, I do not think it is necessary. You'll get plenty of opportunities to learn theory and therapy in medical school and residency. I had only taken 2 semesters of psychology as an undegraduate.

I believe a good psychiatrist considers all treatment options. However, most patients are referred to psychiatrists for medical management had have already been on some medication on one point. Though this isn't always the case. Some psychiatrists do therapy, but most limit this secondary to reimbursement issues and refer to psychologists for therapy. You will get therapy training in residency (at most programs) and can easily make it part of your practice if that's what you're interested in.

Psychiatrists are at the low end of the pay scale as far as doctors are concerned, though it is still a comfortable living and good lifestyle. This varies greatly in private practice depending on the type of practice you do, reimbursement, and types of treatment (ie. ECT). The money is there if you want to make it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your high school science courses at this point. College is going to matter most. If you can do well at just about any college, you can get into medical school; that includes a good MCAT score. If grades are going to be a problem, you might want to focus some energy on extracurriculars and getting involved with a physician/hospital (ie. volunteering). Though being a science major will give you an edge and cover your requirements, you'll see people of varying majors in med school (history, education, economics, etc).

Good luck....

Originally posted by DukeDevils9192

1) if you want, you do not even need to take any psychology courses in college! It is irrelevant. You take the premed prerequisites + other courses in your major and around up your education. When you apply for med school, the admissions committee would care less what kind of docs you want to be because most people go into med school undecided and even if they are set on one specialty, they more often than not change their choices during med school. I personally believe that some political science, ethics, business/economics, religion courses during college are more useful than psychology courses because psychiatry is at the intersection of medicine, politics (budget cutting and all), morality and, for some, religion (or at least some form of spirituality).

2) It depends. Lots of people can do psychotherapy: clinical psychologists (doctor of clinical psychology), licensed clinical social worker (master's level) or even some people went to Jungian Institute of some sort and got a certificate (psychoanalysis). Therefore, by the time that pt comes to you, he or she might have seen one of the above already and just needs some meds after treatment failure with psychotherapy. And if you do not want get paid as much as other psychiatrists, you can incorporate more psychotherapy into your practice.

3) Let me be more straight forward with the salary figure. You can expect at least around 100-150k per year when you become an attending at the age of 29 or 30 (assume you do not take time off during college, med school nor residency). And you pretty much max out your earning potential at around the 200k level as a psychiatrist. By contrast, in the private sector, it is common for radiologists or cardiologists to make around 300-400k when they become attendings at the age of 30 or 31. Future earning figures will change due to HMO or government issues, but I doubt psych $$$ will ever go up. Let's face it, it is always easier or more justifiable for government to cut money for psychiatric care rather than taking money back from a children's hospital. Similarly, the prison and the foster care services are often used in lieu of psychiatric services because, well, it is also easier to say that you are going to spend money building more prisons and lock people away rather than spend that money for psychiatric services for those same people.

4) No worries. Med school is all about college grades and in college, your grades are more dependent on your ability to prioritize your time than anything else you carried about highschool. A good foundation is essential but you can always start by taking the 100-level courses to build up your comfort levels first.

thewonderer is right, you can major in anything u want. Just take bio, chem, orgo, physics, math, english. Though if u want to gain more knowledge in the subject and maybe gain some clinical experience it couldn't hurt to find a school w/ a decent psych program, I am enjoying my experiences doing just that. As far as doing therapy, you can choose to do psychotherapy, but it will probably send your income under 100k if u practice it significantly. In general, psychiatrists are now doing mostly med checks now. It is boring in my opinion, but it pays better than psychotherapy.