Some technical questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Angriest Bird

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I will take the exam this Saturday, I have some "technical" questions.

1. Someone mentioned that now each block is 48 questions. Can anyone keep me updated on this?

2. Is the interface of the exam EXACTLY THE SAME as to which of the following
a) NBME
b) UW
c) Kaplan
d) None of the above

3. Are you allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of the monitor?

4. How many questions (approximately) are there that use the earphones?

5. Should you complete the tutorial?

6. Is there a fix period assigned for lunch, or you decide when to have lunch and use the 60min total break time according to your will?

7. What's the best snack in your opinion? I just know to avoid high carb (PANS overfiring) and turkey (high content in tryptophan --> serotonin --> melatonin --> promote sleep).

Members don't see this ad.

1) 48 per block

2) most like the free 150 I hear from people who have just taken it. Also very similar to UW and the NBMEs.

3) no idea

4) From people who just took it i heard there are 2 A/V quesitons

5) the free 150 has the tutorial in it. Do it before hand. It gives you 15 more minutes of break time.

6) your breaks are totally up to you. you have 45 minutes + the 15 minute tutorial (if you dont do it) to go to the BR, eat and do whatever else you want to during the 8 hours of the exam. If you finish a block early, you add the time. If you dont do the tutorial, you add the time.

7) I'm taking PB&J, some protein bars and a ton of black coffee. Eat something with both protein and carbs in it. Not too carb or fat heavy so you dont get put into a food coma.

1. You should have 48. I know that this has been phased in and so potentially some testing centers might not have switched over. I haven't heard of anyone recently that has had 50 questions on each block, so I'm guessing most centers have switched over.

2. 150 questions

3. Yes

4. I had 1

5. I actually did work through the tutorial because I was shaking so bad when I sat down that I needed some time to cool my nerves. I think it was 10 minutes well spent (for me) but it did mean I felt like I needed more break time later on in the day.

6, 7. Eat when and what you want. I took a break between nearly every block to use the restroom and grab a drink. I never took a "lunch" because I didn't have enough time. I did however snack between a few of the blocks, and I never felt hungry during the test.

1. You should have 48. I know that this has been phased in and so potentially some testing centers might not have switched over. I haven't heard of anyone recently that has had 50 questions on each block, so I'm guessing most centers have switched over.

2. 150 questions

3. Yes

4. I had 1

5. I actually did work through the tutorial because I was shaking so bad when I sat down that I needed some time to cool my nerves. I think it was 10 minutes well spent (for me) but it did mean I felt like I needed more break time later on in the day.

6, 7. Eat when and what you want. I took a break between nearly every block to use the restroom and grab a drink. I never took a "lunch" because I didn't have enough time. I did however snack between a few of the blocks, and I never felt hungry during the test.

Do they give you a full hour for the 48 questions? Or did they change that? I think someone mentioned on a previous thread that they give you 58 minutes?

Thanks!