some things never change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pogo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I rember scouring these boards over 10 yrs ago, and its just funny how the same questions are being asked now as were then. I attended OSU-CHS graduated in 2004, finished my surgical residency 2009 and currently an attending surgeon. Let me say this to all Pre-med/med students. In my experience there is NO difference in how I was treated in regards to employment, as compared to our MD counterparts. I was offered MANY jobs with large salaries. I graduated in the middle of my class and had NO problems getting a residency. I have been on my own for 8 months now and have been completely comfortable and confident in performing surgery by myself, and yes I attend a DO surgical residency at a community hospital. Your debt which may seem substantial will be well within your ability to pay after you finish residency. In fact you will likely be able to find an employer who will be willing to pay it for you. Again the jobs are plentyfull but if your gonna be picky about locations then it may take longer than if you are open to whatever location. When you choose your job take a good look at what other specialties they have at the hospital. Interventional radiology is a big one for surgeons. Most of all enjoy the journey, it goes by fast.

Members don't see this ad.

I rember scouring these boards over 10 yrs ago, and its just funny how the same questions are being asked now as were then. I attended OSU-CHS graduated in 2004, finished my surgical residency 2009 and currently an attending surgeon. Let me say this to all Pre-med/med students. In my experience there is NO difference in how I was treated in regards to employment, as compared to our MD counterparts. I was offered MANY jobs with large salaries. I graduated in the middle of my class and had NO problems getting a residency. I have been on my own for 8 months now and have been completely comfortable and confident in performing surgery by myself, and yes I attend a DO surgical residency at a community hospital. Your debt which may seem substantial will be well within your ability to pay after you finish residency. In fact you will likely be able to find an employer who will be willing to pay it for you. Again the jobs are plentyfull but if your gonna be picky about locations then it may take longer than if you are open to whatever location. When you choose your job take a good look at what other specialties they have at the hospital. Interventional radiology is a big one for surgeons. Most of all enjoy the journey, it goes by fast.

Thank you.:)

Thanks, very interesting info. I've never heard of an employer/hospital that would pay back your medical student loans before... does that depend solely on employer or based on specialty? And is there a catch? :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, very interesting info. I've never heard of an employer/hospital that would pay back your medical student loans before... does that depend solely on employer or based on specialty? And is there a catch? :oops:

Usually the catch is you are agreeing to work for them for an x amount of years.

Its sort of one of those supply/demand issues. If they really need a certain specialty at a certain facility or in a certain area then you can pretty much set your own price. As a surgeon most of the smaller areas were willing to pay a set amount towards my loans. Lets say it was 30,000. They would pay 10,000 a year for a three year contract, in monthly installments of course. The jobs in the more desirable areas typically didnt offer loan repayment. Again it has to do with how bad they want/need you.

Its sort of one of those supply/demand issues. If they really need a certain specialty at a certain facility or in a certain area then you can pretty much set your own price. As a surgeon most of the smaller areas were willing to pay a set amount towards my loans. Lets say it was 30,000. They would pay 10,000 a year for a three year contract, in monthly installments of course. The jobs in the more desirable areas typically didnt offer loan repayment. Again it has to do with how bad they want/need you.

Ah, thanks for the info! :)

Thanks for this post it is very encouraging and helpful. Wish you all the best in your future surgical procedures.

Thank you! I'm leaning heavily towards surgery, so it's very motivating for me to hear these things.

Thanks so much for this post. With so much negativity circulating in many of the threads on this forum, it is refreshing to hear someone speak encouragingly, and with authority and honesty.