Someone tell me if this is possible...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine_man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a personal question pertaining to myself (and all of you who have done as bad as I have in their bio courses).

The section of the MCAT that I am worried most about is the Biological Sciences. my current gpa in biology courses is 2.5. Now, i know it is impossible to tell how someone will do on a specific section of the MCAT based on their GPA due to the infinite confounding variables, but how possible (really unlikely, unlikely, possible, etc.) would you say it would be for me to achieve at least a 9 on the biological sciences section of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

medicine_man said:
this is a personal question pertaining to myself (and all of you who have done as bad as I have in their bio courses).

The section of the MCAT that I am worried most about is the Biological Sciences. my current gpa in biology courses is 2.5. Now, i know it is impossible to tell how someone will do on a specific section of the MCAT based on their GPA due to the infinite confounding variables, but how possible (really unlikely, unlikely, possible, etc.) would you say it would be for me to achieve at least a 9 on the biological sciences section of the MCAT?
the Bio section is more like a reading comprehension section with bio background. there's always a possibility you can score well. Don't doubt yourself.

thx for the reply :) "don't doubt yourself." Yeah, I've been told that by a few people. I just can't seem to build confidence in myself in that area. Freshman/sophomore biology classes traumatized me!

It is certainly possible to score higher but honestly, without some improvement in that GPA your not going to make the cut off for most medical schools. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I realize that. current GPA is 3.3 and sciences gpa is 2.8. I'm hoping to bring my gpa up to around a 3.56 by the time i graduate. at this point, i'm really not expecting to get in to medical school right away. It sucks, but i'm keeping high hopes for a decent post bacc premed program. I'm hoping that w/ a 3.5 gpa and maybe a 27 or even 30 (if i can pull it off) on the mcat will give me a decent chance at getting into a post bacc premed program such as the smp at georgetown. I really can't say at this point.

I will be taking the Kaplan MCAT review course this may to take the august MCAT. i'm hoping that I am not as bad at biology as I think i am or at least that this course will help me greatly improve.

GPA/MCAt is half of the categories the admission committe look for. Whats extracurricular activitie are you involved in?

Extra Curricular Activities:

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC): Volunteer Ambassador
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) ER: Volunteer
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Clinical Virology Laboratory: Employee
Medical Mission Aid Society: Active Member
Play Australian Rules Football for the Pittsburgh Wallabees

This is all right now. At the moment I am planning on running for the Eboard in the Medical Mission Aid Society and I am trying to become inducted into TriBeta. I lack any experience whatsoever in academic research, which I was seriously considering, but dropped out last minute :(