SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Something I've Noticed..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by iPremed, Jun 13, 2008.

1. iPremed

iPremed 2+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. 194342

194342 Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2008
    1. Stereotypes are bad. Your anecdotal story doesn't apply for all go-getta's.

2. From what I can tell, that "99" in the score doesn't mean 99 percentile.
  4. Ginzo

Ginzo 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2006
    Gold medalist? Huh??? Your story doesn't make a lot of sense because you typically take Step 1 in the middle of medical school, not after you finish up.

As for your larger point, I've known some real curve busters (1 B in all of HS and College types) that were quite socially adept and "normal". It takes all types. I can think of more of not-so-bright types that I'd rather not hang out with than I can eccentric bright people who turn me off. Maybe I enjoy the eccentricity a bit.
  5. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2005
    The key phrase is "international medical student." Frequently, FMGs take Step 1 near the end of medical school or after graduating. Additionally, gold medalist are people at the top of the class.
  6. iPremed

iPremed 2+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Just clarifying:

he finished up med school already but he is an international student (med school completed in a different country) and has to take the USMLE now to practice in the US

he did score in the 99th percentile and he was a gold medalist in his med school