Do I have a chance to apply this year? Or should I consider something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redirection

Reaction score
Should I even attempt to apply to medical school: 7 years as an LPN, 3.0 GPA B.S. in Biology, 1 resolved DUI on record, and an army veteran?

The dui clinical founding was that I don’t have a drug/alcohol problem. Please advise , I feel hopeless and trying to figure out how and if to move forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Clearly, having worked as an LPN for 7 years, you have sufficient clinical experience. That said, unless you work shoulder-to-shoulder with physicians every day, you may need some shadowing of physicians (about 50 hours) so you have a little better picture of what a physician's work day is like. To be on the safe side, identify and shadow an osteopathic physician (DO) as DO schools like to receive a letter of recommendation from a DO on your behalf.

You have a bachelor's degree which is a general requirement.

Your GPA is very low for medical school admission and may indicate that you are lacking the fund of knowledge necessary to do well on the MCAT and in the pre-clinical coursework.

The DUI is not "nothing" but it is far down the list of things to concern yourself with as you determine whether you should go down this path.

You will need to prepare to take the MCAT and take it and do well. That will require considerable content review which might include ANKI cards, hundreds of test questions, and at least 4 full length exams, each taken in a single sitting under test conditions, and an equal amount of time reviewing what you got wrong (or right). This alone is several hundred hours of prep. (And several hundred dollars to take the test).

Although there is no grade replacement anymore at any schools, it might be wise, before beginning MCAT prep, to repeat any courses in which you received a C or less.

You might also take a look at Goro's Guide for students who need reinvention.

All-in-all, I would not recommend teeing up an application in 2024. From what you've told us, you don't seem ready.

Do it right and only do it once. This holds for both the MCAT and the application process.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

It would be better to have a more complete profile. Have you taken the MCAT? How about your shadowing experience with doctors?
Hello Mr.Smile12,

I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, I’ve started studying for it though. I haven’t had any specific shadowing of doctors except as an LPN I did get to work alongside with doctors and work when I worked in a internal medicine clinic and in rehab , as well as during nursing school in every unit in the hospital.

Hello Mr.Smile12,

I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, I’ve started studying for it though. I haven’t had any specific shadowing of doctors except as an LPN I did get to work alongside with doctors and work when I worked in a internal medicine clinic and in rehab , as well as during nursing school in every unit in the hospital.
While you have enough hours, it may help you to take your favorite doctors (especially DOs) out to chat over coffee about your intentions to become a physician. At this point you need some champions and mentors to encourage you if this is the right path that you want.

Check with the medical schools closest to you, especially f they work closely with nursing students (usually BSNs or MSNs). You should see if switching from nursing to medicine is better with your goals. (See DNP.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You likely need to do some sort of post-bacc or SMP to prove that you are not the same person who got the 3.0 seven years ago. As noted above, that GPA is going to be too low for med school

Reactions: 2 users