Something you will mis and won't miss from HS

Started by Shinobiz11
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shinobiz11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's up SDN'ers, just wanted to hear some more opinions from you guys.

What things will you miss (or miss) from high school and what things won't you miss (or don't miss)?

For me I think I will always miss having fun with my friends in class and making jokes about what the teacher says and the teacher joins in on the laughing. I will also miss gym class and the "gym class heroes" who made it so fun. Also having teachers who are friendlier and care more about you, opposed to college professors who see you as a paycheck (not all of them).👍

I will definitely not miss waking up at 6:00AM every moring for five days. Also having to walk to the bustop in freaking -20 Michigan winter weather, with the wind which feels like it is cutting your face and the mucous which runs from your nose goes all over your lips.Also I will not miss wasting time everyday doing nothing for almost half the day and just sitting there because the teacher has nothing for you to do.👎
 
I'll miss hanging out after school with friends.🙁
I'll miss the sports.🙁
I'll miss having fun between classes (I cracked up while in a few classes though:laugh:).
I'll miss the difficulty of the work given to me depending on how college goes.
I will miss a few teachers.
I will miss friends who might be attending colleges and universities far away.

I won't miss the busy work that teachers give just to keep us occupied.
I won't miss our awful rules (caught with cell phone = detention)
I won't miss the awful restrooms (probably just my school)
I won't miss the same cafeteria food everyday, causing me to either bring lunch sometimes or skip it(I usually did).
I won't miss pointless gossip about who's dating who and who broke up with who.
I won't miss getting up at 5:30 five days a week.
I won't miss the people who just seem to hang around school and try to cause trouble due to a severe case of boredom, or sometimes come to school and then skip class. Why not stay home?
I won't miss P.E. first period every day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I miss all my good friends who ended up going all over the map after high school.
I miss being able to have a conversation with my teacher (or even them just knowing my name).
I miss the school sports.
I miss the 5 minute walk to school (now a 1.5 hr commute)
I miss all the free time I had.

I don't miss all the drama.
I don't miss the fact that almost all the (school)work I did really served no purpose.
I don't miss the school calling home when I skipped class.
I don't miss being forced to take 4 years of english class.
I don't miss the lack of choice when choosing courses.
 
As someone who has been out of high school for...almost 7 years now...I might as well throw my opinions out there, just for fun.

I miss:
  • Being so hopeful and bright-eyed about everything (I was on cloud 9 for months before heading off to college).
  • Having the same professors for so long, and actually having the chance to build good relationships with them.
  • Being able to see all of my friends at school everyday - in college, no one is on the same schedule, and in medical school, many students choose to study at home.
  • Being able to learn EVERYTHING without eliminating classes that don't fit into my major

I don't miss:
  • Excessive homework assignments. I spent far more of my time doing petty assignments in high school then I ever spent studying in college.
  • The hand-holding. Sink-or-swim suits me far better, personally.
  • The limited extracurricular opportunities. Even the best high school can't hold a candle to most universities in this area.
  • The lack of flexibility. I liked being able to schedule classes around the rest of my life in college.

Just my 2 cents.
 
Absolutely. I intend to have my earliest class no earlier than 10! woohoo!
High school pretty much sucked big ba%* for me. I didn't get into a good social circle early on and am now stuck with sub-par friends. Can't wait till college to get a new start!
 
Miss:
The biology field trips.
Some awesome teachers that actually cared about you.
Not having to wear a uniform (except that hideous gym uniform we were forced to wear). My old HS now enforces uniforms even for HSers. The norm in mexican schools is that in HS you don't wear uniforms anymore.
Calculus classes
Finishing classes at 2 pm and having every afternoon free to watch anime (when mexican national tv actually showed anime)
The 5 minute commute.

Don't miss:
When they forced you to do "group" activites you hated (I hate dancing) with the excuse to try to blend in and "make friends". Note to all: With the exception of a HS friend that went to my med school, I've only seen old HS buddies like 5 times over the last 7 years after we graduated and mostly because a lot of us live in the same area. I'm going to move to a different city in 3 months so i probably won't see them ever again!
Teachers forcing you to enter the classroom instead of loitering the patio. In college nobody cares if you skip class. Many teachers don't even care who you are.
Horribly immature students that did infantile pranks on you. One such individuals dressed up as a Taliban in class, this was very little after 9/11.

Not having your desire of choosing which classes you wish to take (the vocational exam you take is supposed to be a reference towards what your natural abilities lean you towards, it's not a hard written rulebook!); the school shrink wanted to force me to enter the math and physics classes instead of Biology which is what I wanted because my vocation exams state I tended towards the hard math classes because of my slightly colder personality. I eventually convinced her that entering Bio was MY choice and it was what I wanted and got in and don't regret it one bit. Plus, she obviously never saw my horrible Math and Physics Grades.

HS also has a lot of useless drama and popularity games. In college, things are so disperse nobody cares if you're a nerd.

Ha! And I thought my school was bad! You just brightened my day.👍😀
 
Definitely nothing.

I'm ready to take classes after 9 am. And I'm tired of having a set schedule and people telling me I "should" do my homework and I "should" do blah. Like leave me alone...I think I know what I should do, and if I don't it's kinda my problem...gah. (maybe it's my lack of sleep talking right now)
 
I forgot, I will definitely not miss parent teacher conferences. That crap always screwed me up because my teachers would always have something stupid to say about me, even though most of them loved me in their class. Also, they are always scheduled around my birthday (this wednesday). My PTC's this year were today and tommorow lol only have one bad grade though, and I talked about it with my parents so I guess I am not as screwed as I thought I would have been.
 
Thinking about it right now, there isn't anything I miss from HS. It was compleletly useless for me since none of it is helpful for me in the present. It probably won't be in the future too. The only good thing I take away from it are my close friends.
 
Thinking about it right now, there isn't anything I miss from HS. It was compleletly useless for me since none of it is helpful for me in the present. It probably won't be in the future too. The only good thing I take away from it are my close friends.

Spot on bro! HS really was 😱😱😱😱😱😱. Not going to miss nothing. Aside from a few friends and teachers HS really wasn't anything at all.

College here I come 😎
 
I miss the near total lack of responsibility and the things it afforded. Excessive partying, video game playing, and just general screwing around were awesome. I also miss that youthful feeling of invincibility that allowed me to do a lot of dumb crap I'd never repeat now but am glad I experienced.

I don't miss the social cluster****. Everyone is always up in everyone else's business and still learning what and what not to do. Rumors still spread like wildfire in med school, but most people seem mature enough to let stuff go after hearing about it. Nobody gets branded for one really unfortunate event the eway they used to. Yes, I speak from experience.

I don't miss the rigid schedule and babysitting. Not going to class is awesome. Being in charge of myself is awesome. Not waking up at 7: also awesome.

I don't miss the total lack of focus the education had. Yes, I understand that it's necessary to have everyone learn about different stuff so they can have a well-balanced and useful education as they try to figure out what they want to do with their lives. I don't care for the opposite extreme I have now, either. College was great. Largely focusing in a subject or two with latitude to take, say, a Roman lit. class alongside my astrophysics major was an amazing freedom.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So like what exactly is it that makes you not really enjoy h.s.? I got my reasons. 🙂🙂🙂
 
You're not the only one - I made bad choices too, but we can always blame it on immaturity:laugh:
 
"Haterzzz". See, everyone claims they have haterz and that someone's hating on them. So who exactly are these haterz? I'm really curios to know.

well, there's this close knit of 5... ooh, i hate to say it, "samoan girls[NO OFFENSE! if you are]", and for some reason. they have NEVER liked me, no matter how nice i try to be to them. just... SO elementary ya know. s*** like? "ew" or "sooo ugly" orrr just samoan gibberish talk, sort a speak, everytime i walk by and such 🙄 but, it's okay though, see the problem is simple in that 2 of our best football players are samoan boys and instead of liking one of THEM... BOTH seem to like ME awhole lot MORE! get my meaning? :meanie: i mean, gooosh... that aint my fault, ya know? lay off them twinkies or something :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're not the only one - I made bad choices too, but we can always blame it on immaturity:laugh:

heyy girl ^ ^ no, not bad choices. but, immaturity on THEIR[5 samoan girls] part indeed. oh well, i'm over it... 😉
 
I don't miss High School at all. Here at college, I have better friends, a better residence, a better life, and a significantly more challenging academic atmosphere. I won't miss the drama, the superficial acquaintances, the apathy, and definitely the artificiality of the students. Oh, and of course the uniforms, lack of restrictions of hair length, and lack of the other gender - note: i disliked attending my elitist super strict ultra-preppy all-boys uniform wearing catholic private high school. blech.
 
High school for me was waking up at 0500 to work on AP classes. Oh and I was an obese kid to boot, so no girl friends. Though I had great friends and enjoyed most of it, I loved college even more.

In HS for good or ill your peers represent everyone, the stupid who are there because they have to be, and the smart who understand the value of an education.

In college everyone is there because they want to be and are paying a small fortune for the chance. Of course, all through college I was obsessed with med school, so though I had awesome friends and the time of my life, most people weren't as hard core as me. In most of my classes I was at the top of my class and in Biochem I was #2, in Physiology #1 (out of 250 students).

Now that I am going off to USUHS in Aug 2010 I can look forward to being truly among my peers. I won't be the smartest guy in the room but I will be studying with the greatest group of people I have ever had the privaledge of meeting.
 
In HS for good or ill your peers represent everyone, the stupid who are there because they have to be, and the smart who understand the value of an education.
I'm hoping that once I hit college, the number of 'stupid' people who don't care about advancing their education will dramatically drop... but something is telling me that these people will always be lingering in the shadows :ninja:

Like all of our moms said, surround yourself with good, smart, well-mannered people. I'm guessing that's the key.
 
You're not the only one - I made bad choices too, but we can always blame it on immaturity:laugh:

Yeah. I guess I also kinda hate my school in particular. Some of the people are just too much for words.
Can't wait for college.

If they make us write some kind of reflection essay for h.s. before graduation, I'm really going to blast up the school. No holds bared. I'll throw everything into that easy and make sure I get them good. 😡 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^We were required to have an exit interview in front of the panel before graduating and that is exactly what I did..though, very respectfully and with carefully handpicked supporting points. I ended up getting a perfect score from everyone (out of 150 possible points, if I recall correctly). Haha, silly interviewers.
 
Oh, and one more thing I forgot:
All of the "pre-meds" who know nothing about the profession and who want to be anesthesiologists because they think they work slack hours and make boatloads of money for just "putting people to sleep" 👎losers... I hate all of you👎
 
:laugh: As one of the docs I shadowed noted, "Anyone can knock you out. It's waking you back up that's the trick." Really, even assuming they're right, they still have to kill college and slog through med school and residency to get to their profession. What a deal!
 
I'm hoping that once I hit college, the number of 'stupid' people who don't care about advancing their education will dramatically drop... but something is telling me that these people will always be lingering in the shadows :ninja:

Like all of our moms said, surround yourself with good, smart, well-mannered people. I'm guessing that's the key.

Yes and yes.
 
^We were required to have an exit interview in front of the panel before graduating and that is exactly what I did..though, very respectfully and with carefully handpicked supporting points. I ended up getting a perfect score from everyone (out of 150 possible points, if I recall correctly). Haha, silly interviewers.

I have to do this also. I plan on getting a perfect score due to my amazing no fear public speaking skills.

Also I hate those idiot anesthesiologist wanna-bes, I think it is hilarious though when they wake up and realize they are screwed when they actually have to study and such. (someone in my school)
 
I will miss some of my teachers and being able to hang out with friends after school. Most of my close friends are attending the same college as me, so I'm thankful for that.

I will NOT miss the overcrowded hallways, the immaturity, the crappy food, and the "dinosaur" computers.

I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. 🙂
 
I will not miss report card time
I will not miss my guidance counselors
I will not miss high school teachers saying high is the best time of one's life (Really!?)
I will not miss getting up early in the morning
I will not miss the need to assert to ensure their authority that most high school teachers have.
I will not miss the faulty and paper thin friendships.
I will not miss guitar players and long haired guys.
I will not miss the cool, confident people who have nothing to feel cool or confident about
I will not miss morning announcements
I will miss making the "smart" people look like idiots in debates
I will miss pranking the cool people, thereby making them look like fools
I will miss being able to draw a big penis and have everyone laugh at it for no reason other than that it's a really large penis
I will miss making the foreign kids ask sexually inappropriate questions
I will miss being able to act like an ass and say it's high-school as an excuse.
I will miss the fights.
I will miss the hot, flirty teachers.
I will miss the kilts
I will miss being able to say sexually awkward things just for the sake of it
I will miss being able to get to know everyone in my classes, even the jerks
I will miss cutting class with friends
I will miss fake kissing a guy friend in the hallway
I will miss headbanging to God Hate us All (Catholic School)
I will miss pretend, choreographed shootouts

Although I'll miss alot of fun things, I think this next stage of my life will be better.
 
I will not miss report card time
I will not miss my guidance counselors
I will not miss high school teachers saying high is the best time of one's life (Really!?)
I will not miss getting up early in the morning
I will not miss the need to assert to ensure their authority that most high school teachers have.
I will not miss the faulty and paper thin friendships.
I will not miss guitar players and long haired guys.
I will not miss the cool, confident people who have nothing to feel cool or confident about
I will not miss morning announcements
I will miss making the "smart" people look like idiots in debates
I will miss pranking the cool people, thereby making them look like fools
I will miss being able to draw a big penis and have everyone laugh at it for no reason other than that it's a really large penis
I will miss making the foreign kids ask sexually inappropriate questions
I will miss being able to act like an ass and say it's high-school as an excuse.
I will miss the fights.
I will miss the hot, flirty teachers.
I will miss the kilts
I will miss being able to say sexually awkward things just for the sake of it
I will miss being able to get to know everyone in my classes, even the jerks
I will miss cutting class with friends
I will miss fake kissing a guy friend in the hallway

I will miss headbanging to God Hate us All (Catholic School)
I will miss pretend, choreographed shootouts

Although I'll miss alot of fun things, I think this next stage of my life will be better.


wtf?
 
...What's so wrong about those things? It was a catholic school, so the girls had kilts and some teachers were down right teases. The kissing thing was hilarious because the majority of the school is black, and for some reason, black people have an illogical fear/hate of homosexuals. If I wasn't about 187 cm, I'd have probably gotten my ass kicked.
 
...What's so wrong about those things? It was a catholic school, so the girls had kilts and some teachers were down right teases. The kissing thing was hilarious because the majority of the school is black, and for some reason, black people have an illogical fear/hate of homosexuals. If I wasn't about 187 cm, I'd have probably gotten my ass kicked.

Nice generalization, those darn black people.
 
Nice generalization, those darn black people.



Lol, I see what you did there.

I appro-HHHNNNGGGGG

1260004153038.jpg
 
Last edited: