Somewhat general post-bacc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm an idiot so could you folks please spell things out for me a little.

I have an approximate science GPA of 2.7, overall of around 2.8. Spent 4 years at community college and 1 so far at a UC, with (hopefully) 1 remaining with a major in Physiology and a couple of minors. I don't have any research experience or volunteer experience other than 1 year at a hospital.

I know I need to do a post-bacc but am not sure of how/where to go about this. I've read the info etc. but am not sure of the exact dates of application. I wish to stay in California (but am still willing to go elsewhere) and will not be applying to any medical schools this cycle.

I'm looking at the SFSU informal post-bacc (which I don't quite understand) and the UC formal post-baccs. Do the UC post-baccs require you to have already applied to med school and been rejected before accepting you? I want to work with underserved communities which I heard is a plus with the UCs.

Also, I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of January, is this wise or should I shoot for the mid-September dates to get it on my post-bacc application? I am currently studying for it so a September test is still feasible for me.

Lastly, I see that most people go for a one year post-bacc. Is post-bacc GPA calculated separately or is it along with the rest of your undergrad GPA? I have quite a lot of classes so it is hard to raise my diluted GPA, just wondering if I will need to do 1 year or more.

edit
After full calculations including the past quarter, I have BCPM GPA of 2.9 and Overall GPA of 2.85

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're in a very deep hole, and you're not getting out of it in a year. Your best course of action would be to take and ace the MCAT, and improve your GPA to around a 3.0 and then do a SMP. Alternatively, you can retake many of your classes, do real well on the MCAT, and go to the Caribbean or DO schools for medical schools.

Updated GPA

If I were to apply to an SMP, approximately when does the application cycle begin for the class entering in 2009 for most schools? Are you allowed to update your grades as your current quarter ends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm sure you can update. For the class entering next year, you can usually apply until March/April and June in some cases. However, in many cases, it is rolling admissions so the earlier the better is a good rule of thumb.

So I'm guessing applications come out in December/January?