Somewhat non-traditional student here, looking for thoughts?

Started by jschaf4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jschaf4

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone, I am a somewhat a non-traditional student so any advice would be great!

University of Illinois at Chicago
Major: B.S. in Kinesiology
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.53 (3.56 after the likely A grades from Fall 2014)
Pre-req GPA: (3.5-3.65ish based on program)
Volunteer Hours: 75 hours and counting (25 Hospice care in Africa, 50 Vestibular Rehab, more to come in Vestibular Rehab and Orthopedics)
Work Experience: Past year have been a Exercise Physiologist/Specialist - it's a hybrid position, work at a pulmonary exercise clinic, doing a lot of diagnostic exercise test/studies. Previously Worked as a Medical Assistant at a orthopedic clinic. In 2012 I spent 3 months in Africa volunteering as a MA and PT aide (mostly MA).
GRE: V 149, Q 162, AW 4.0 (311 overall)

What makes me non-traditional is the following:

Graduate GPA: 2.88 GPA (Only ~17 semester hours. Attended physician assistant program in 2011, voluntarily left because it was the wrong career choice (heart is in PT!). Half of the programs I apply to only look at undergrad GPA anyways. The rest factor in all coursework, but ~17 semester hours only puts a small dent in my GPA (~3.48). Plus got a B grade in graduate level A&P, which is not bad in my opinion.

Applying: Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern, Northwestern, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northern Illinois, Governors, Carroll, Maybe Concordia and UofMilwaukee.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
I would say your application looks solid. You'll need to explain why your GPA in graduate school was only 2.88, which isn't bad, but some schools eject students if they earn a single C. If you tell them you weren't passionate about being a physician assistant, you'll need to explain how you know physical therapy is what you really want to do. Everything else looks fine. You'll get in somewhere else. Keep volunteering and working in the mean time, and retake any undergraduate science courses in which you earned a C.
 
I would say your application looks solid. You'll need to explain why your GPA in graduate school was only 2.88, which isn't bad, but some schools eject students if they earn a single C. If you tell them you weren't passionate about being a physician assistant, you'll need to explain how you know physical therapy is what you really want to do. Everything else looks fine. You'll get in somewhere else. Keep volunteering and working in the mean time, and retake any undergraduate science courses in which you earned a C.

Thanks for the response NewTestament. I will be sure to be prepared to explain the low GPA in graduate school. Even though my GPA at a highly competitive PA program was average (most students were at 2.7-3.3 in the program), it still is important to recognize that it is still a low graduate GPA. I believe that when I have an interview, I will make it very evident why my passion and heart is in physical therapy. Fortunately the PTCAS personal statement question this year is worded in a way that I believe can show my passion if I work hard and write a good statement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If money isn't an issue, I would apply to 10+ schools. It's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I have a pre-requisite GPA of 3.9 and an undergraduate GPA of 3.50, so my cumulative GPA is probly around a 3.6/3.7. I'm applying to 15 schools, which is a little overboard, but I'd rather get in than have to reapply next semester.
 
If money isn't an issue, I would apply to 10+ schools. It's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I have a pre-requisite GPA of 3.9 and an undergraduate GPA of 3.50, so my cumulative GPA is probly around a 3.6/3.7. I'm applying to 15 schools, which is a little overboard, but I'd rather get in than have to reapply next semester.

Thanks for the input, and I totally agree. I am applying to 9 schools in the area, I may stretch out farther and cap over 10. I am doing my best to contact the schools and set up meetings with faculty/advisors to ask questions and show my interest.