Somewhat OT: Electric tootbrushes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After my latest dental cleaning, I've decided to switch to an electric toothbrush. I have a few friends that have Sonicares and they love them, but I looked online and they are quite pricey. I'm wondering if there is any real difference in "cleaning quality" between some of the pricey toothbrushes like sonicare and the cheap brushes like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Oral-Vitality...ID0M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1228443925&sr=8-2

Obviously it seems like the more expensive ones would be better, but I know that with some of these products you are just paying a lot for marketing and extra features that don't really make a difference. So, if I'm only concerned about getting a good clean, should I spring for one of the expensive brushes, or are the cheap ones just as good?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried both the cheap and the expensive ones. The expensive one is better and your teethe is more clean. The cheap one breaks easier. You still have to floss for either.

Hi everyone,

After my latest dental cleaning, I've decided to switch to an electric toothbrush. I have a few friends that have Sonicares and they love them, but I looked online and they are quite pricey. I'm wondering if there is any real difference in "cleaning quality" between some of the pricey toothbrushes like sonicare and the cheap brushes like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Oral-Vitality...ID0M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1228443925&sr=8-2

Obviously it seems like the more expensive ones would be better, but I know that with some of these products you are just paying a lot for marketing and extra features that don't really make a difference. So, if I'm only concerned about getting a good clean, should I spring for one of the expensive brushes, or are the cheap ones just as good?

Thanks.

I have an Oral-B Triumph and it is amazing. I got two of them for 99.99 and Costco. I highly recommend the brush.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an Oral-B Triumph and it is amazing. I got two of them for 99.99 and Costco. I highly recommend the brush.

I have an Oral-B Triumph too, and honestly, I don't like it [It's been like 6 months I haven't even touched it]. The feeling is totally different and unpleasant for me.

Honestly if you have a dental school near you see if you can pick one up from the student supply store. I know at UF they had Henry Schein and most of the stuff was dirt cheap compared to normal street price.

We had to do a paper in our first year on any dental related topic. Since I had just receive my free Oral B that we got from the company, I decided to do the paper on electric toothbrushes. There have been numerous studies done on this. If you use any electric toothbrush correctly, they will outperform manual toothbrushes all the time. The main differences between the expensive one and the cheap ones are the efficiency in cleaning ability (not how well they clean the teeth), the cost and how long they last. The $5 Crest electric toothbrushes perform about as well as the expensive brands. Overall, the ultimate goal is to break remove the plaque. If properly used, any toothbrush WILL accomplish this. It comes doewn to how much do you want to pay, how often do you want to replace them, how does the toothbrush feel using it (complete different feel using Sonicare and Oral B - I use both), and does the tooth brush help or hurt your oral health (stiff toothbrushes can actually worsen one's oral tissues rapidly if used incorrectly).

I have a rotodent and it seems to be doing a pretty good job. The tip of the brush is very small so it takes a long time to brush with it tho. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't tried the oral b brushes. They do look cool tho!

Scotty