Sooner rather than later? Cali residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikibamboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw this out here and hopefully get a better perspective from you all...:D

Here's my situation: I graduated from college 2010. Joined an Americorps program (non-healthcare related) for a year. The long hours that I worked really hindered me from efficiently studying for the MCAT. Took my first one in April 2011 and got a 28P (8BS, 11VR, 9PS).

Have a high GPA and a research-heavy resume (3.9, 1 first author publication) so I went ahead and applied one of my state schools (VCU) and got put on their wait list for the 2012 cycle.

In the meantime, I felt it best to start up my applications again and re-take the MCAT. Though it's been a year since I picked up an MCAT book and I'm currently doing a health-related internship in San Francisco that goes until the end of June. Might have to take the test in August to give myself the time to refresh everything.

Is there any advantage in submitting my AMCAS application early with my 28P? If I were to take an August MCAT, won't adcoms simply wait until I get my scores back before evaluating my application?

Also, I've been in California for almost two years now. I'm debating as to whether I should apply as a California resident this time around. I know that California schools are tough to get into no matter what your residency but they do at least offer some preference to in-state applicants. The only state school back in Virginia that I would consider going to is VCU and they are pretty OOS friendly (60/40 = IS/OOS). Of course, this would only be if were to take the MCATs again.

Any thoughts or perspectives would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey first of all you've got a lot going for you. Your GPA and ECs seem really strong. Also your VR score is great.

If I were you, I'd take this time and get your primary app ready and submit it as close to June 1 as possible. If you apply to the right schools, your numbers are decent. Schools that will have reservations will look at your app after your new score comes in.

Also, I'm not sure I'd throw away the VA in-state residence. If it gives you an advantage take it. A med school is a med school :D Perhaps in your secondaries to California schools you can mention you've been living here for several years and you'd like to stay?

Besides that study hard and kill the MCAT. That really is the only thing holding your application back. Good luck PM me if you want to talk more.

Is there any advantage in submitting my AMCAS application early with my 28P? If I were to take an August MCAT, won't adcoms simply wait until I get my scores back before evaluating my application?

Also, I've been in California for almost two years now. I'm debating as to whether I should apply as a California resident this time around. I know that California schools are tough to get into no matter what your residency but they do at least offer some preference to in-state applicants. The only state school back in Virginia that I would consider going to is VCU and they are pretty OOS friendly (60/40 = IS/OOS). Of course, this would only be if were to take the MCATs again.

Any thoughts or perspectives would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance! :)

Hey first of all you've got a lot going for you. Your GPA and ECs seem really strong. Also your VR score is great.

If I were you, I'd take this time and get your primary app ready and submit it as close to June 1 as possible. If you apply to the right schools, your numbers are decent. Schools that will have reservations will look at your app after your new score comes in.

Also, I'm not sure I'd throw away the VA in-state residence. If it gives you an advantage take it. A med school is a med school :D Perhaps in your secondaries to California schools you can mention you've been living here for several years and you'd like to stay?

Besides that study hard and kill the MCAT. That really is the only thing holding your application back. Good luck PM me if you want to talk more.

Thanks for the reply!!

Sorry that I didn't get to this sooner. My internship and re-studying for the MCAT has been keeping me busy. I just sent out a transcript request to my school for the AMCAS. Hope to finish updating my 2013 AMCAS application by next weekend, just in time to send it off on the 5th. Verification should take about 6 weeks which should be fine since my school can't send out my committee letter packet until July 17 anyway.

Kinda confused at how the timeline for the verification works. Do I need to formally submit my AMCAS application? Or can I still be editing it once my transcripts get to AMCAS?

My only loose end is my MCATs. I'm worried that taking it in August (not sure which date yet - deciding on Aug 4, 10, 16 or 17) may put me in a similar dilemma. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really dont know how much getting a California residency status is going to help you. I go to a school in IL and 50% of the school is comprised of California state residency people. California is not an easy place to get into medical school. I kept my California residency even though I went to undergrad in another state and with all said and done I wish I had not kept my California residency. There is an advantage to having your application in earlier, it is rolling admission but to get into California your prob. going to need to raise that MCAT to at least a 30. Good luck.

California is the WORST state in the nation to be a resident for medical school. The stats don't lie on this one... Texas is actually the best state to be a resident, with FL, MS, NY, and a few others after it...

I really dont know how much getting a California residency status is going to help you. I go to a school in IL and 50% of the school is comprised of California state residency people. California is not an easy place to get into medical school. I kept my California residency even though I went to undergrad in another state and with all said and done I wish I had not kept my California residency. There is an advantage to having your application in earlier, it is rolling admission but to get into California your prob. going to need to raise that MCAT to at least a 30. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna maintain my Virginia residency. Just thought of playing around with the idea. A medical school is a medical school.

Just hope re-taking my MCATs in August doesn't put me in a bad position despite me applying early.

The first step to obtaining California residency is to stop using the word "cali".

The first step to obtaining California residency is to stop using the word "cali".

Haha. CA then.

In any case, do you guys think taking the MCAT in August (thinking August 10) is pushing it?

Was thinking of sending my primaries in June to my state schools (keeping my Virginia status) since I already have an MCAT score, notifying them that I'll be taking the MCAT again. Then probably waiting until I get my scores back in September to submit to other schools (sounds really late though). Or do I just send to a broad amount of schools right off the bat in June?

Another thing too, my undergrad's committee letter packet can't get sent out to AMCAS until July 17. Does my primary need to have that in order to be complete and sent?

Thanks!

Last edited: