SOPHAS techinical questions: adding schools after submissions + transcript issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobalt314

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple questions related to SOPHAS and would really appreciate any advice that people could share. I know that I'm quite behind in the application process (am getting ready to submit for the Dec 15 deadlines for some schools), but have been swamped with 3rd year med school rotations + recent death of a loved one that has just pushed everything else to the back burner; thus I am now scrambling to get everything in by deadlines.

1) I forgot about sending transcripts from 2 institutions that I had taken a total of 5 summer courses from during my undergrad years (specifically, 6-7 years ago). I am assuming that I need to list these two institutions on SOPHAS and send in transcripts (even though it's just a few courses), correct? Should I just enter in the institution information and get the process started for transcript requests from those schools, and then submit the application online once everything else is ready?

I feel stupid for forgetting about these and realize it will hold up processing of the application, but, depending on the institution, as long as the SOPHAS application is submitted online by the due date, is there a decent chance that my application may still considered by schools?

2) Can I submit SOPHAS by Dec 15 with just the schools that have the Dec 15 deadline and then, later on, add my schools with later deadlines in January so I have more time to work on school-specific personal statements? From what I read on SOPHAS's website, this seems like it could be ok (i.e. can't change any info on the app, but can add school + upload new personal statement)....has any one had any experience with this?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can submit the application online before SOPHAS has received your transcripts, but of course they will not be able to verify it and calculate your GPAs until they have received your transcripts. SOPHAS' official position is that it is up to the schools as to whether they consider it on time, but the sense I get from reading this forum is that most schools are flexible. And yes, you can add more schools after you have submitted your application. They will simply mail your application after you add a school (and pay the fee, which I believe is $40 per extra school).

1) I forgot about sending transcripts from 2 institutions that I had taken a total of 5 summer courses from during my undergrad years (specifically, 6-7 years ago). I am assuming that I need to list these two institutions on SOPHAS and send in transcripts (even though it's just a few courses), correct? Should I just enter in the institution information and get the process started for transcript requests from those schools, and then submit the application online once everything else is ready?

I feel stupid for forgetting about these and realize it will hold up processing of the application, but, depending on the institution, as long as the SOPHAS application is submitted online by the due date, is there a decent chance that my application may still considered by schools?

You're right, you will need to declare and send those transcripts. SOPHAS won't mail your application until they receive all of your declared transcripts, but as you said you can e-submit before they are received.

If you don't declare them I don't know what will happen, but it wouldn't be good. I had my SOPHAS app delayed because they misunderstood my transcripts -_-

MOST schools count e-submitting before deadline "on-time" but not all, so you'd have to ask the school to be sure--often you can find the answer on the admissions web page.

2) Can I submit SOPHAS by Dec 15 with just the schools that have the Dec 15 deadline and then, later on, add my schools with later deadlines in January so I have more time to work on school-specific personal statements? From what I read on SOPHAS's website, this seems like it could be ok (i.e. can't change any info on the app, but can add school + upload new personal statement)....has any one had any experience with this?

Yes! I wish I'd been more sure about this--I wouldn't have been as hasty to submit everything at once. You can easily add more schools and more PSs.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the responses, I greatly appreciate the help! The information has been quite useful and reassuring. Now back to apps...