Sophomore MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2bjc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you take the MCAT when you are a sophomore…I know it is suggested you take it during the 3rd year but is there anything that says you cannot take it before that? I searched online and there are no restrictions, but I am asking just to make sure whether this is permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

take it as soon as you finish genchem,orgo,physics. the more recent these courses are completed the better.

a lot of people i know took it as sophs (in the spring) or as juniors (in the fall) after just finishing the requirements.

My understanding is that you can take the MCAT whenever you want.

My advice (though others may argue differently) is to not take it early. I took it summer after Sophomore year, and did "ok." I didn't apply straight from college, and, since I waited long enough, they "timed out" (most schools want MCATs within the last 3 years) & so I retook - and I scored significantly better.... Just my experience & my 2 cents.

I took it early (August after my sophomore year) and would suggest anyone who can to take it early, especially if you have the entire summer to study!

No way I would've made a 39 if I took it any other time!

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you can take the MCAT whenever you want.

My advice (though others may argue differently) is to not take it early. I took it summer after Sophomore year, and did "ok." I didn't apply straight from college, and, since I waited long enough, they "timed out" (most schools want MCATs within the last 3 years) & so I retook - and I scored significantly better.... Just my experience & my 2 cents.

I agree...you should wait to take it until junior year at the earliest even if your prereqs are done before that. If you took it sophomore year, and applied for admission straight out of college, if you don't get in anymore, you might have to take it again. You're going to have to restudy all of the material you learned during prereqs anyways.

I agree...you should wait to take it until junior year at the earliest even if your prereqs are done before that. If you took it sophomore year, and applied for admission straight out of college, if you don't get in anymore, you might have to take it again. You're going to have to restudy all of the material you learned during prereqs anyways.

you'd have at least one more year to reapply before the scores are out of date.

thanks for your help, I may take it in August before sophomore year starts in September

thanks for your help, I may take it in August before sophomore year starts in September

whatever you do make sure you have enough time to study...it is much easier to do well if you know all the material confidently and have taken as many practice tests as possible...having the time to do dedicate to just the MCAT other than after your sophomore year is difficult (I don't know about this now anymore since the MCAT is offered more than 2 times a year, so you aren't limited in study timeframes).

Some of the undergrads in my lab have taken/are taking the MCAT after sophomore year because they have finished the prereqs. The one that took it last August got a 37 but he's kind of dorky :laugh: (he considered retaking for a higher score)

Anyway, take it when the info is fresh in your mind, you've finished the prereqs AND you can devote a significant amount of time to studying. I'm a non-trad and took it 4 years out of college. It really sucked to recall basic bio from '96 and gen chem from '98 :eek:

I took it early (August after my sophomore year) and would suggest anyone who can to take it early, especially if you have the entire summer to study!

No way I would've made a 39 if I took it any other time!

I did the same thing, took it just after having finished ochem and physics. This worked well because the information was still relatively fresh.

i'm a big promoter of taking it after soph year (august)

1) taking it during the school year is hard--you have to balance responsibilities, and unless you are superman (or woman) you usually slack in some area. That way during school you can focus on your schoolwork.

2) by now most of your requirements and material for the MCAT have been covered. IF you have a strong background in physics or bio, or even chem, it is possible to take the MCAT without completing all of your pre-reqs, though it is not recommended

3) Taking it in the summer allows you to focus on it more exclusively (similar to 1) you can offset the "task" of taking the test by doing something you enjoy (being from socal that could be surfing, playing volleyball, etc). This way you can have fun and also take the MCAT.

4) You can still better your CV by participating in summer EC's. I shadowed a Doc and did some research the same summer I took the MCAT. A month before the test, I went light on my responsibilities so I could crack down...or at least try to crack down.

5) your MCAT score is good for 3 years. That way, if you choose to take a year off after undergrad you can still use the same score. More than a year off in my book is a waste of time (unless you are unsure about your fate in medicine), so you have plenty of time to do your apps.

hope that helps!

Wait, are you taking the MCAT in the summer before your sophomore year or before junior year? Before junior year is fine since most ppl have completed orgo, bio, etc by then but before sophomore year is a bit early IMO

August after second year for sure...most likely you've finished orgo recently, and possibly gen chem, physics and bio depending on your AP credits. You'll have the whole summer as opposed to a semester in school to study and you will still be able to apply early for the application year after you graduate (if you're a sophomore, the 2009-2010 application cycle). This is what I did and I was enjoying my semester while my friends worried about the MCAT!

it really depends on what classes you have taken, what you learned, and how much time you're willing to dedicate to MCATs:
-my Kaplan teacher told us all to treat the MCATs like a full-time job.
-I know people in med programs that have taken the MCATs after freshmen year and have scored 40. Clearly, they were dedicated and knew how to handle the exam. And they had the basic knowledge (i.e. took college courses) of gen chem, most physics, most organic chem, biology, and esp. physiology.

good luck with what you choose to do. just know that it really is a journey that will take much of your time.