Sophomore schedule...too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neature

Adventure Enthusiast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising sophomore and am trying to finalize my schedule for next year. I thought I had my schedule figured out (which is a difficult feat at a small school with limited class options), but have been told that it is too difficult.
Side note: I am a bio major and minoring in chem and religion

Fall
Cell bio
Organic chem I
Calc-based physics I
Independent study in religion (requires 30+ page research paper)

Spring
Organic chem II
Calc-based physics II
Biochem
Religion course (with community service requirement)

What do you think? I know that it will not be an easy year, but is it really too difficult/ambitious? I will also be volunteering at 3 hospitals (varies between 8 and 12 hours a week) and working at a nursing home (only 4 hours every other week so I have time to study:)).

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your study habits? This seems like a pretty normal schedule. The 30+ page research paper seems a bit much though. Is it a thesis class?

Depends on your study habits? This seems like a pretty normal schedule. The 30+ page research paper seems a bit much though. Is it a thesis class?
It is not a thesis class, but rather just an independent study that a professor offered for me in which we will be exploring the relationship between religion and medicine. The long research paper is just part of the independent study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is lab included in organic Chem 1? At my school lab class took up more time than my lecture. If no lab I think you are fine. Although second semester might suck.

Is lab included in organic Chem 1? At my school lab class took up more time than my lecture. If no lab I think you are fine. Although second semester might suck.

All of my science classes will have a lab (varies between 2 and 4 hours), including organic chemistry. It definitely takes up a lot of time during your week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I mean if you can Handle 3 intense labs go for it. I myself probably couldn't. YMMV

4 classes per semester is fairly standard. Getting all the requirements in for med school is going to require taking hard classes simultaneously. I had very similar schedules each semester while being a D1 athlete. It's doable

Just my opinion but I see no reason to take biochem sophmore year...first of all its probably the most important class for the mcat so I would take it with a light schedule to maximize learning and secondly I would take it after u finish up orgo sequence. First semester looks fine...cell bio shouldn't be too bad but I would Def delay biochem till first semester senior year

Reactions: 1 user
Just my opinion but I see no reason to take biochem sophmore year...first of all its probably the most important class for the mcat so I would take it with a light schedule to maximize learning and secondly I would take it after u finish up orgo sequence. First semester looks fine...cell bio shouldn't be too bad but I would Def delay biochem till first semester senior year

Good point, taking Biochem as a sophomore really isn't necessary. I took it spring of Junior year right before the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
My second year looked very similar to yours in terms of class choice and lab demand, except I was taking 5 classes (full credit hours), and also working in a lab around 20 hours a week. It's doable if you know how to manage your time correctly.

I took my sophomore year:

Calc II
Calc Based Physics I
Cell Biology
Molecular Genetics

Calc III
Calc Physics II
PChem (for life sciences)
Constitutional Law (out of interest)

I got 6 A/A-'s and 2 B's - GPA was a 3.73 I am an auditory learner though so I don't do that much studying other than doing some practice problems before the test; The studying involved if you are a heavy note taker/studier would be very gruesome, so assess where you are on that spectrum

I mean, that doesn't look bad by any means. I'm a rising sophomore this fall as well and I'll be taking:

Cell bio+lab
Evol bio+lab
English
Intro to Sociology
Genome research

I think the key is going to be time management. I don't know what else you're involved in (clubs, work, etc.), but if you're *just* doing school that should be fairly easy to accomplish I think.

Nah, I did a schedule similar to that my sophomore year as well. Just manage your time well, especially if those courses have labs attached to them.