General Admissions & OTCAS Sophomore switching to pre-occupational therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribs98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a sophomore animal science major are Texas A&M University. i have been pre-dental since the very start and am just now starting to get doubts about it. I am starting to consider occupational therapy now but really need information regarding the following:
1. Pre-reqs?
2. What do occupational therapy schools look for for a masters program?
3. Schools in Texas? Especially in Dallas and how competitive they are.
4. Shadowing hours?
5. Average salary?

I am interested in occupational therapy because it seems like a job that I wouldn't get tired of. There's so many different specializations that one could go into and it seems super rewarding. I love kids so I would definitely want to go into pediatrics probably.

Also, anyone know about hippotherapy and regarding specializing in it? In high school I volunteered at Equest, they are a stable with occupational therapists who use therapeutic riding as a method. This specialization really appeals to be but I would like more info on it regarding job outlook and salary and such. I would also like to look into pediatric and NICU occupational therapy.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am currently a sophomore animal science major are Texas A&M University. i have been pre-dental since the very start and am just now starting to get doubts about it. I am starting to consider occupational therapy now but really need information regarding the following:
1. Pre-reqs?
4. Shadowing hours?
5. Average salary?

I am interested in occupational therapy because it seems like a job that I wouldn't get tired of. There's so many different specializations that one could go into and it seems super rewarding. I love kids so I would definitely want to go into pediatrics probably.

Also, anyone know about hippotherapy and regarding specializing in it? In high school I volunteered at Equest, they are a stable with occupational therapists who use therapeutic riding as a method. This specialization really appeals to be but I would like more info on it regarding job outlook and salary and such. I would also like to look into pediatric and NICU occupational therapy.

Thank you!
You need to go directly to whatever schools you are looking at onto their website to find their prerequisites. Shadowing hours can be completed anywhere, in a hospital, clinic, nursing home, etc. You can look up online what schools are in texas as well and what occupational therapy schools look for a masters program. AOTA website has the information on average salary.

Texas Woman's University has a campus in Dallas. Most schools require a minimum of 40 observation hours, but typically they want you to have more than that and in more than one setting. The schools websites provide the required prerequisites, and almost all require anatomy and physiology, psychology, and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
1. Pre-reqs?
4. Shadowing hours?
5. Average salary?

Thank you!
Yeah, you'll have to look at the specific programs to see what the pre-reqs are, but they all ask for pretty similar courses. Most programs will require anatomy, physiology, a few social science courses (such as human development and abnormal psychology), statistics, biology, chemistry, etc. A few will ask for medical terminology and physics. But again, definitely look into specific programs as they do vary.

Besides the courses, they'll also want you to do shadowing/observation hours under an OT, take the GRE (some, not all schools), get 3 letters of rec... Pretty standard requirements for grad school.

Thanks for the help guys! What are the average GPAs and GRE scores of those who get in? Is there an interview? Do people typically apply to 10+ schools like many do for dental school or do they only apply to a few? Is it as competitive as dental school? Sorry I know a lot of this information is on other school websites but I am currently drowning in exams and this whole change of mind has been sudden and I am panicking a bit because I have had a plan in mind for so long and now its derailed which goes completely against my Type A personality and i feel like I have lost control and direction. It would really help to get basic info on here from you guys as it is faster and I dont have time at the moment to search multiple school website:/

Also, do prerequisites taken at community college count? Does it look bad to have taken some at community college?

Also, do prerequisites taken at community college count? Does it look bad to have taken some at community college?
I got into Texas Tech and TWU. My overall GPA was a 3.3 in OTCAS. I believe my prerequisite GPA was around a 3.6 or 3.7. My GRE was a 145Q, 152 V, and 5.0 AW. I had 40 shadowing hours. Several students in my class have similar stats, some much better. I took all of my prerequisites at a community college. Physics is not required for TWU. It is for Tech. GRE is required for TWU, not Tech. Tech had an interview, TWU did not. I think TWU is starting interviews again though. I only applied to those two schools. I accepted TWU @ Houston.

It is competitive, but it's not as competitive as dental or med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
1. Pre-reqs?
4. Shadowing hours?
5. Average salary?

Thank you!
Hi there! The only OT school in Dallas is TWU-Dallas. They also have a campus in Denton (and one in Houston). I am currently enrolled in the Dallas program. Feel free to message me with any questions you might have! :)