Sophomore Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleepyincan

DW_Forthefuture
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into Sophomore year,

I have a pre-planned class schedule showing all the classes I will be taking until Fall 2020. (I was previously designated to graduate 2021, but from starting college in a summer term and taking summer classes, I will be graduating a semester early.

Currently what I have done/ planned:

Freshman year
  • On campus job and became student ambassador, etc.
  • Pre-med club/ garden club/soccer club
Sophomore year (planned)-
  • Volunteering at local JH Childrens Hospital
  • Volunteering at local shelter
  • Applying for Summer 2019 REU at another university (I have previous experience in research from highschool but I am highly interested in gaining more experience at an REU)
  • Applying to be a tutor in Math and Chemistry at my university
  • Thinking of shadowing but uncertain if I will have the time...
  • Will be studying for MCAT in December for 6-12 months.
QUESTION: When is the "right" time to shadow and is the average shadowing 1-2 years with 2-3 doctors?

I am not only trying to make my application "look good" but I am trying to become well-rounded and knowledge about multiple things, including medicine.

Am I doing these things right?

Members don't see this ad.

(planned)-
  • Applying for Summer 2019 REU at another university (I have previous experience in research from highschool but I am highly interested in gaining more experience at an REU)
If you can ACTUALLY begin doing all of these things that would be excellent. However, they often take far more time and effort than you would anticipate, especially in getting started. One of the most difficult things is likely finding physicians to shadow. Shadow anyone you can (MD or DO) but it is best if you can shadow in multiple specialties. The "right" time to shadow is as early as possible. Shadowing is counted in hours (as are all activities for AMCAS and AACOMAS) and not years so it will depend on your availability and capacity to find docs to shadow. There is no hard minimum but aim for double digits of hours in a couple specialties and you will definitely have plenty.

I have a pre-planned class schedule showing all the classes I will be taking until Fall 2020.
Hopefully this is planned so that you take an appropriate sequence of classes before taking the MCAT?

Will be studying for MCAT in December for 6-12 months.
I do not understand this statement. Are you saying you are planning on taking the MCAT in December of your sophomore year? It is almost certainly too early to take the test due to the variety of courses you need to take to have the necessary knowledge. Or do you mean you will start studying for a planned 6-12 months at that time? This is far too long a time period - you will not have the necessary knowledge from your coursework and the following variety of things can happen: you are going to not be focused enough; you will be too focused on the MCAT and not on classes; you will run out of prep materials; you will start forgetting what you were studying 6 months ago.

If you can ACTUALLY begin doing all of these things that would be excellent. However, they often take far more time and effort than you would anticipate, especially in getting started. One of the most difficult things is likely finding physicians to shadow. Shadow anyone you can (MD or DO) but it is best if you can shadow in multiple specialties. The "right" time to shadow is as early as possible. Shadowing is counted in hours (as are all activities for AMCAS and AACOMAS) and not years so it will depend on your availability and capacity to find docs to shadow. There is no hard minimum but aim for double digits of hours in a couple specialties and you will definitely have plenty.

Hopefully this is planned so that you take an appropriate sequence of classes before taking the MCAT?

I do not understand this statement. Are you saying you are planning on taking the MCAT in December of your sophomore year? It is almost certainly too early to take the test due to the variety of courses you need to take to have the necessary knowledge. Or do you mean you will start studying for a planned 6-12 months at that time? This is far too long a time period - you will not have the necessary knowledge from your coursework and the following variety of things can happen: you are going to not be focused enough; you will be too focused on the MCAT and not on classes; you will run out of prep materials; you will start forgetting what you were studying 6 months ago.

To answer your MCAT question: I have actually seen plans that run from 3-6 months, 6-9 months, and actually up to a year. From what I’ve seen and heard, the MCAT can actually be studied for gradually and by subject, over a year, while also aiding in classes being taken....
I hope this information isn’t false.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going into Sophomore year,

I have a pre-planned class schedule showing all the classes I will be taking until Fall 2020. (I was previously designated to graduate 2021, but from starting college in a summer term and taking summer classes, I will be graduating a semester early.

Currently what I have done/ planned:

Freshman year
  • On campus job and became student ambassador, etc.
  • Pre-med club/ garden club/soccer club
Sophomore year (planned)-
  • Thinking of shadowing but uncertain if I will have the time...
  • Will be studying for MCAT in December for 6-12 months.
QUESTION: When is the "right" time to shadow and is the average shadowing 1-2 years with 2-3 doctors?

I am not only trying to make my application "look good" but I am trying to become well-rounded and knowledge about multiple things, including medicine.

Am I doing these things right?

I'm not sure what volunteering at the JH Children's Hospital entails, but make sure that you have some clinical experience under your belt before applying - e.g. folding towels and whatnot is not considered as such. Also make sure that you don't commit yourself to too many activities that you jeopardize your academic performance.

Aim for around 50-100 hours of shadowing... if you're gunning for DO specifically, then make sure that some of those hours are with a primary care provider and also a physician LOR is also necessary.

I would not recommend dedicating 6 mo. to a year studying for the MCAT as you'll likely have other obligations to tend to, which would result in inefficient studying and the plus burnout is real. Personally, I think you'll only need 2-3 months of efficient studying to perform well on the MCAT; however you know yourself better than I do so you be the judge.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer your MCAT question: I have actually seen plans that run from 3-6 months, 6-9 months, and actually up to a year. From what I’ve seen and heard, the MCAT can actually be studied for gradually and by subject, over a year, while also aiding in classes being taken....

Volunteering: I am familiar in the application processing time and have been processed for a hospital as of June 2018 for the upcoming year. A lot the reason I am starting volunteering in my sophomore year is actually because of the very long process and waiting time...
Shadowing, I was uncertain about the year to shadow so I did take extra time on that but, I know people and have a high volume of nearby physicians near my university thankfully. I think by Spring 2019 I will have find a MD/DO(s), and in different specialities.
I am wondering though, who is it that I would receive a letter of rec. if I am moving from physician to physician and not developing a strong relationship with just one?

And REU: application is taken care of in Fall, submitted in spring, if in, I will be strictly doing ONLY that research in the summer (8-10 weeks).

I would argue this is ineffective. Sometimes integrating knowledge from different courses is required and much of the exam is centered in biochem and molecular/cell bio concepts. I also found, as many do, that learning how to take the exam is a different challenge than knowing the material and you won't be able to practice that very well until you have studied all (or at least most) of the topics covered. Furthermore, even if you did a 12 month plan, you would finish in December of your junior year. You need to figure out when you are graduating before embarking on MCAT prep.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure what volunteering at the JH Children's Hospital entails, but make sure that you have some clinical experience under your belt before applying - e.g. folding towels and whatnot is not considered as such. Also make sure that you don't commit yourself to too many activities that you jeopardize your academic performance.

Aim for around 50-100 hours of shadowing... if you're gunning for DO specifically, then make sure that some of those hours are with a primary care provider and also a physician LOR is also necessary.

I would not recommend dedicating 6 mo. to a year studying for the MCAT as you'll likely have other obligations to tend to, which would result in inefficient studying and the plus burnout is real. Personally, I think you'll only need 2-3 months of efficient studying to perform well on the MCAT; however you know yourself better than I do so you be the judge.

Thank you for responding, from multiple personal interactions I’ve had with previous volunteers and from orientation, JH All Childrens does apply mainly to undergraduates majoring in biology and entails learning not only the inner workings of a hospital but how patient, doctors, and nurses interacts, learning different codes, learning the work environment, etc. If I knew I would be going into a position to fold towels, I would avoid it. Lol.

Ok, so by 50-100 hours... are we talking over the course of 2 years of shadowing? I couldn’t imagine doing this all in 4-5 months. I would must rather prefer continuity in shadowing thus gaining a relationship with the physician.
Again thank you for responding

not developing a strong relationship with just one?
For MD applications, this often does not matter. For DO apps, ideally, you would develop enough of a relationship with a physician (ideally DO) that you could get a decent letter of rec because many DO schools have this as a strong preference.

I would argue this is ineffective. Sometimes integrating knowledge from different courses is required and much of the exam is centered in biochem and molecular/cell bio concepts. I also found, as many do, that learning how to take the exam is a different challenge than knowing the material and you won't be able to practice that very well until you have studied all (or at least most) of the topics covered. Furthermore, even if you did a 12 month plan, you would finish in December of your junior year. You need to figure out when you are graduating before embarking on MCAT prep.

OK, from this I can agree now. It is true that learning the material can be very different from learning how to take the exam. I hope before I start studying, I learn effective study tips and as well as how long I should be studying for. Thank you.
By the way, so far, my expected graduation Is now Fall 2020. Which I do have a question on if I could I ask...

I originally was expected to graduate in spring 2021, but since I will be graduating a semester early (2020), will I still be OK to begin applying the usually months? Which I believe are Feb-July, I could be wrong.
I will not be taking any classes the “last semester” of my senior year and will just be applying to all the schools through AMCAS.

I originally was expected to graduate in spring 2021, but since I will be graduating a semester early (2020), will I still be OK to begin applying the usually months? Which I believe are Feb-July, I could be wrong.
I will not be taking any classes the “last semester” of my senior year and will just be applying to all the schools through AMCAS.
You should reevaluate your timeline for applying. Medical school admissions are roughly a year-long process. If you intend to enter medical school the fall after you finish undergrad, you need to be applying the year before you plan to start medical school.

From the AAMC website (emphasis mine):

"The AMCAS application typically opens during the first week of May each year for the following year’s medical school class. Since AMCAS submission doesn’t open until the first week of June, you’ll have about a month to begin working on your application before you can submit it. You’ll begin the application process in the spring in order to begin medical school in the fall of the following year."

You should reevaluate your timeline for applying. Medical school admissions are roughly a year-long process. If you intend to enter medical school the fall after you finish undergrad, you need to be applying the year before you plan to start medical school.

From the AAMC website (emphasis mine):

"The AMCAS application typically opens during the first week of May each year for the following year’s medical school class. Since AMCAS submission doesn’t open until the first week of June, you’ll have about a month to begin working on your application before you can submit it. You’ll begin the application process in the spring in order to begin medical school in the fall of the following year."

Wow, right on the website thank you. Since that is typical, I guess that it nothing to worry about?
Ex: applying spring 2021, entering class of Fall 2022?
Makes sense.

My point is why would you wait to apply until 2021? If you are going to get your degree in Dec. 2020, why wouldn't you apply in Spring 2020 for admission in Fall 2021?

My point is why would you wait to apply until 2021? If you are going to get your degree in Dec. 2020, why wouldn't you apply in Spring 2020 for admission in Fall 2021?

It’s my misunderstanding that I should have everything complete before the application process even begins, but I’ve got it opposite. Thanks for the clarification.
In that year I am guessing we could finishing things up? Like shadowing, even retaking MCAT (if needed)?

In that year
Which year? You need to be super clear about what you are referring to.

Prior to applying you should have most of the pre-req courses completed, have taken the MCAT, and have letters of recommendation (at least 2 from science professors, 1 from non-science professor, and a physician letter if applying DO). You should also have a decent number of hours in a mix of activities ideally including shadowing physicians, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, employment, research, and other extracurriculars (like clubs). You will need all of these things by approximately June of the year before you want to start medical school. You can continue them during your application, but you need a solid base of them to put down for your primary application.

Thank you for responding, from multiple personal interactions I’ve had with previous volunteers and from orientation, JH All Childrens does apply mainly to undergraduates majoring in biology and entails learning not only the inner workings of a hospital but how patient, doctors, and nurses interacts, learning different codes, learning the work environment, etc. If I knew I would be going into a position to fold towels, I would avoid it. Lol.

Ok, so by 50-100 hours... are we talking over the course of 2 years of shadowing? I couldn’t imagine doing this all in 4-5 months. I would must rather prefer continuity in shadowing thus gaining a relationship with the physician.
Again thank you for responding

I gotcha - I only mentioned the possibility of towel folding as that happened to a close friend of mine.

If you can shadow primarily 1-2 physicians in that time period, that would be preferred. I didn't have any formal shadowing experience until the summer that I applied, where I shadowed a PCP for five hours/day, three days/week for two months and that gave me around 120 hours.

I gotcha - I only mentioned the possibility of towel folding as that happened to a close friend of mine.

If you can shadow primarily 1-2 physicians in that time period, that would be preferred. I didn't have any formal shadowing experience until the summer that I applied, where I shadowed a PCP for five hours/day, three days/week for two months and that gave me around 120 hours.

Wow, that is awesome. I noticed there a lot of variations and different ways student obtain hours for shadowing/ volunteering. So you got most of your extra things done during the time of your application? Which took a year right?

BTW, congratulations on your acceptance!!

I volunteered throughout my four years of undergraduate - didn't really start my clinical volunteering until my sophomore year. You can definitely do shadowing whenever but be sure to volunteer consistently for a good duration of time as that's preferred - sporadically volunteering before applying looks like box checking.

Thanks!

I volunteered throughout my four years of undergraduate - didn't really start my clinical volunteering until my sophomore year. You can definitely do shadowing whenever but be sure to volunteer consistently for a good duration of time as that's preferred - sporadically volunteering before applying looks like box checking.

Thanks!

Because of really long application processing and just getting the feel into a new environment, unfortunately I have waited until my Sophomore to begin actually volunteering, which I hope to continue for the next 2 years. I hope this isn't too late?
BTW, how did you log your volunteer hours? Other than keeping track, how exactly would a school know you were involved and actually volunteered?

Because of really long application processing and just getting the feel into a new environment, unfortunately I have waited until my Sophomore to begin actually volunteering, which I hope to continue for the next 2 years. I hope this isn't too late?
BTW, how did you log your volunteer hours? Other than keeping track, how exactly would a school know you were involved and actually volunteered?

That's fine, just make sure to volunteer a few hours at a time whenever you can and aim for 150 or so hours (of clinical volunteering.) I just estimated - I volunteered at a clinic every week for 3 hours, so I just did the math including holidays and school breaks. I doubt schools actually contact volunteer sites to confirm how much you've volunteered, but it's important to maintain integrity... that said, estimating wouldn't hurt you as long as you don't overestimate by a lot.

how exactly would a school know you were involved and actually volunteered?
As Rusrus said, you estimate hours, classify experiences, and describe them on the application. Schools could theoretically check because you need to list a contact for each activity you put down. In reality, they would really only do this if there was some reason for suspicion but that is how they would check on your activities.