Sorry about the stupid question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiritedaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this is driving me insane. I was just surfing around these forums, and I see the word "gas" mentioned as a residency all the time (in the anesthesiology forum especially - sorry if I didn't spell that right). What is "gas"??? Also, what does CRNA stand for? Can someone please clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

spiritedaway said:
Ok this is driving me insane. I was just surfing around these forums, and I see the word "gas" mentioned as a residency all the time (in the anesthesiology forum especially - sorry if I didn't spell that right). What is "gas"??? Also, what does CRNA stand for? Can someone please clarify?

CRNA = Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Gas is that invisible stuff that comes out of the inhaler that anesthesiologists put onto the patients. :rolleyes:

gastroenertology? (sp?)

Members don't see this ad :)
gastrointestinal doctor - does stuff with stomach and intestines

Guys, "gas" is just a quick way of referring to the specialty of anesthesiology without having to take five minutes sounding out all seven syllables. Just like saying "peds," "ortho," etc is easier than saying the whole word. It's a hell of a lot easier to say "ENT" than "otolaryngology!"

P.S. A lot of specialties like GI, cardiology, endocrinology, etc are not actual residencies. They are fellowships that usually take an extra 2-3 years after completing an internal medicine residency. Just an FYI ;)

spiritedaway said:
Gas is used to refer to anesthesiology, as previously mentioned (it's not used for gastroenterologists). For example, you might hear "gas man" used when talking about an anesthesiologist. There's a website called Gaswork.com--all anesthesia related work opportunities. Someone already explained what CRNA stands for. And you'll note that CRNAs can become nurse anesthetists. These opportunities are also featured on gaswork.com. You'd be surprised how much these CRNAs can make. Some CRNAs essentially serve as anesthesiologists in underserved areas due to legislation by different states. Of course, CRNAs can't do everything an anesthesiologist can do. Anyway, it's common to see CRNAs discussed when you're talking about gas, i.e. anesthesia.
Fusion said:
P.S. A lot of specialties like GI, cardiology, endocrinology, etc are not actual residencies. They are fellowships that usually take an extra 2-3 years after completing an internal medicine residency. Just an FYI ;)
This is true. Also, peds has its own fellowships in GI, cards, endo, etc. I know you didn't say that anesthesia was a fellowship, but since we're discussing gas and some people might get confused, anesthesiology IS a residency.

And you call yourself and SDNer... pssshhhttt..... :laugh: