Sorry but another "any hope for me" post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WFU2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I have another “any hope for me” post. I just discovered this forum and it is comforting knowing that I am not alone with all my DPT questions. I just wanted to thank all the “old heads” for the insightful and helpful knowledge. I am graduating from Wake in two weeks and plan on taking next year off to get everything I need for PT school. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the insight until recently that I wanted to pursue a career in PT so I am playing catch up. Also, running for Wake took a toll on my GPA and hopefully the 5 or 6 pre-req courses I take will bump my GPA above the “magic” 3.0 mark. Does the school I take my pre-req courses at matter (I will probably be moving to Boston)? And what should I do to become a better candidate for schools? Thanks for your time and any advice would be much appreciated.

University: Wake Forest University
Major: Health and Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 2.95
Pre-Req GPA: TBD- still need half the courses
GRE: TBD-taking it mid-summer

Extra-Curric: Captain-Varsity Track and Field, Athletic Directors Counsel (not much time outside of track)

Volunteer: zero PT volunteer hours but plan on catching up this summer

Members don't see this ad.

- Whether your pre-reqs are coming from a community college or a major university, as long it is coming from an accredited program, you will be fine.

- Observation hours should come from a variety of settings (inpatients, outpatients, pediatrics, neuro, acute.... not just sports/orthopedics :))

- Start your application early: get your LORs ready & work on your personal statement)

- Apply to several DPT programs. Be open to going out-of-state if you are willing to pay non-resident or private school tuition.

- Offset your GPA with your GRE score.

- As long you focus on this upcoming year and put all your energy into this, you will be fine.

Hope this helps. :diebanana:(<---- does not pertain to your posting, just like this icon)

I'm from W-S and have some contacts for you if you need to shadow some PTs this summer.

Send me a personal message and I'll get back to ya.