Sorry but another "any hope for me" post

Started by WFU2011
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WFU2011

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry but I have another “any hope for me” post. I just discovered this forum and it is comforting knowing that I am not alone with all my DPT questions. I just wanted to thank all the “old heads” for the insightful and helpful knowledge. I am graduating from Wake in two weeks and plan on taking next year off to get everything I need for PT school. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the insight until recently that I wanted to pursue a career in PT so I am playing catch up. Also, running for Wake took a toll on my GPA and hopefully the 5 or 6 pre-req courses I take will bump my GPA above the “magic” 3.0 mark. Does the school I take my pre-req courses at matter (I will probably be moving to Boston)? And what should I do to become a better candidate for schools? Thanks for your time and any advice would be much appreciated.



University: Wake Forest University
Major: Health and Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 2.95
Pre-Req GPA: TBD- still need half the courses
GRE: TBD-taking it mid-summer

Extra-Curric: Captain-Varsity Track and Field, Athletic Directors Counsel (not much time outside of track)

Volunteer: zero PT volunteer hours but plan on catching up this summer
 
- Whether your pre-reqs are coming from a community college or a major university, as long it is coming from an accredited program, you will be fine.

- Observation hours should come from a variety of settings (inpatients, outpatients, pediatrics, neuro, acute.... not just sports/orthopedics 🙂)

- Start your application early: get your LORs ready & work on your personal statement)

- Apply to several DPT programs. Be open to going out-of-state if you are willing to pay non-resident or private school tuition.

- Offset your GPA with your GRE score.

- As long you focus on this upcoming year and put all your energy into this, you will be fine.


Hope this helps. :diebanana:(<---- does not pertain to your posting, just like this icon)
 
I'm from W-S and have some contacts for you if you need to shadow some PTs this summer.

Send me a personal message and I'll get back to ya.