Sort of OT: Criteria for Grading.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raimes

Third time is NOT a charm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how most of your profs grade.

IE. To get an A at my school you need to have a 94-96 and above.

Members don't see this ad.

For non-engineering (and non-organic chemistry) classes, they are usually graded on the standard 10% scale (90+ is an A, 80-90 is a B, etc.). My organic I class was curved so an 85+ was an A, 75+ was a B, etc.

Engineering classes differed. Most were on the 10% scale. Others were curved test to test by this general rule of thumb:
If you were a standard deviation above the average (or greater) you got an A on the test.
If you had between the average and the standard deviation, you got a B.
If you were between the average and a standard deviation below, you got a C.
Below that were the D/F cutoffs but I don't know anyone who ever did that poorly...

Professors would then give you the grades they thought you deserved based on your performance compared to the class on all of the tests and homework.

It depends on the prof, but generally in my science courses it was such that just a few people got A's.

The grading policy as a school was:

A = given to students who meet with conspicuous excellence every demand that can fairly be made by the course.

B = given to those students who add to the minimum of satisfactory attainment excellence in not all, but some of the following: organization, accuracy, originality, understanding, insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every prof was different. Some curved, some didn't. Sometimes the curve scaled you up and other times it scaled you down!! Some teachers used +/- system and others didnt. Of course, i always seemed to have the worst luck with what teachers chose to do haha i guess thats how you always see it instead of "i should have studied more"

Typical grading scale for us:
A+ = 98 - 100%
A = 93 - 97%
A- = 90 - 92%
B+ = 88 - 89%
B = 83 - 87%
B- = 80 - 82%

etc. etc. down the line

--- I also had several science classes that required a 95% to get an A.

Yeah it has varied for me as well. In physics a 93% was an A because "He doesn't want his doctor or pharmacist or dentist or whatever being wrong 10% of the time."

Biochem an 85% is an A and some of my other courses they just let most people fail or get a D then curve at the end. (I really hate this way I think it's stupid)

Other classes are normal 90% A, 80% B etc no + or -

Most of my science classes were curved. Most of them were also "weeder" classes, so a lot of professors (chem especially) would shoot for a 60% average on their tests, and they couldn't fail everyone. Usually the mean score would be a B- and they'd grade up and down from there.

But that might be because I went to a school that prides itself on its science and research...

Depends on the class for me. For the most part though, 93-95 and above is an A. In one of my chem classes it was graded on a standard deviation curve, which helped the majority of the class that did really poorly, but it didn't do much for those who did well in the class

Most of my science classes were curved. Most of them were also "weeder" classes, so a lot of professors (chem especially) would shoot for a 60% average on their tests, and they couldn't fail everyone. Usually the mean score would be a B- and they'd grade up and down from there.

But that might be because I went to a school that prides itself on its science and research...

Same, but the chem department at my school has been having some serious issues lately. Last semesters gen chem 1 class averages were AWFUL. Averages on the second midterm were I think 38 and 42%...

Yeah it has varied for me as well. In physics a 93% was an A because "He doesn't want his doctor or pharmacist or dentist or whatever being wrong 10% of the time."

Biochem an 85% is an A and some of my other courses they just let most people fail or get a D then curve at the end. (I really hate this way I think it's stupid)

Other classes are normal 90% A, 80% B etc no + or -

Noticed you were from Illinois...much like myself. What school do you go to?