Sounds like BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would a PSYC class titled "The Brain in Text and Film" be considered as bcpm? Basically, the class is full of watching films and discussing the brain's role in each movie…character's thinking, perceptions etc. It's a 1 credit class, but I'm not sure if AMCAS would most likely accept it even if I classified it as science.
Absolutely not.
For starters, Psych isn't a BCPM classification. This class sounds like the humanities remix of a Psych course. So, no.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely not.
For starters, Psych isn't a BCPM classification. This class sounds like the humanities remix of a Psych course. So, no.
Psych classes can be counted if the class is demonstrably biology-based (eg i had a class about hormones and a few neurobio classes that were through my psych dept).

However, I agree that this sounds decidedly non-BCPM and would probably not hold up to AMCAS screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych classes can be counted if the class is demonstrably biology-based (eg i had a class about hormones and a few neurobio classes that were through my psych dept).

However, I agree that this sounds decidedly non-BCPM and would probably not hold up to AMCAS screening.
The key part there being that a Psych course does not qualify due to Psych portions of it...only if it demonstrates a sufficient level of biology content (which IS a BCPM classification) does it count. That's why I tried to leave it as 'Psych is not a BCPM classification' rather than 'Psych courses cannot count towards BCPM'.
Anyway, we're in violent agreement here :D

So would a psych class titled Brain and Behavior be counted as bcpm in your opinion? It is predominately science…all about brain anatomy, mental disorders, hormones regulated, muscle movements etc.

Possibly, but it's still labelled Psych, so it's a toss up. I would just take an actual biology class if you can.

I called AMCAS and if >50% of the class is BCPM, you can classify it as BCPM. Your class doesn't sound like BCPM, but when I designated classes, AMCAS didn't challenge me on any of my classifications.

Even psych courses which address bio topics typically just...don't approach them in the same way as a Bio prof would. They're different, and it's reflected in the course title and the classification. If it's extremely Bio heavy, you can argue them in, but for the most part Psych courses are Psych courses, Bio courses are Bio courses, and having a Psych unit count as BCPM is more luck and getting away with stretches than anything else.

Edit: Dual-classification courses are a different story, of course.

Reactions: 1 users
Really? I thought most people's psych classes were accepted under bcpm! Even if it wasn't, couldn't I argue it with AMCAS? (I could provide a syllabus right?) Unfortunately, I can't take a biology course now…plus this psych class is required for my major

I'm not sure about "most", but I'm sure a decent amount are. If that's the case, take the most bio heavy one that fulfills your major and label it as BCPM and see what happens.

Really? I thought most people's psych classes were accepted under bcpm! Even if it wasn't, couldn't I argue it with AMCAS? (I could provide a syllabus right?) Unfortunately, I can't take a biology course now…plus this psych class is required for my major

Don't know how you could think that most psych classes count as BCPM. In my college and most colleges it's put with the social sciences - economics, psych, sociology, anthropology, etc

Anycase I have some experience for you: My older sister was a psych major and got into med school a few years ago. Only two of her psych courses got the OK from AMCAS to count in her BCPM gpa: 'Biobehavioral Statistics" and "Cognitive Neuroscience". Your class sounds too wishy-washy to count but you can try. Nobody here knows with 100% certainty whether AMCAS will let that pass or not.

Doesn't sound remotely like a BCPM coure

If I took a gerontology class called Biodemography of Aging that's also offered in the Biological Sciences department, and it counts for upper division credit for the Biological Sciences Major, do you think that would count for BCPM? It just so happened that during the semester I took it, it was offered in the GERO department, but it's also offered in the BISC department as well.

If I took a gerontology class called Biodemography of Aging that's also offered in the Biological Sciences department, and it counts for upper division credit for the Biological Sciences Major, do you think that would count for BCPM? It just so happened that during the semester I took it, it was offered in the GERO department, but it's also offered in the BISC department as well.
I think your odds are better if you can point out that it is a dual-classification course, as I implied above. At the end of the day, though, just do what you think fits and AAMC will accept what it does.