South Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingHopeful

UC Davis Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems as though a fair number of the people posting (and some in previous successful applicant threads) have animal experience in South Africa. I was just wondering where some of you volunteered? I went last summer and had an amazing experience. I would love to go back this summer but maybe try something a little different (probably in addition :) ). You can PM me if you don't want to reveal too much about yourself on a thread but don't mind sharing the info.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted to get an internship in Africa focusing on cheetah health and conservation (notice the avatar), so if anyone here is lucky enough to have actually done something similar to that I'd love to hear from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really expensive to do something like this?

I've always wanted to get an internship in Africa focusing on cheetah health and conservation (notice the avatar), so if anyone here is lucky enough to have actually done something similar to that I'd love to hear from you.

I spent 3 weeks in cape town working with a pet therapy organization as my master's thesis, but one of those days we went instead to a cheetah conservation place, I believe it was called Spier or something like that, right inside cape town. It was not De Welde (De Velde? the place by johannesburg), but they were affiliated somehow. Anyway, when I went there (2003) they offered unpaid internships but provided room and board, but you had to commit to like 3 months minimum or so, longer than what I could have done. It was a really awesome place though, they were very big into working with farmers on living amicably with the cheetahs, and also had some kind of tranining program with Anatolian Shepherds as guard dogs for the farmers too. Very cool :thumbup:

Enkosini is a great place to start looking! I spent time at CARE (Baboon Sanctuary) and Makaklali which are both offered through them.

I've always wanted to get an internship in Africa focusing on cheetah health and conservation

I went to the Cheetah Breeding Project for a day tour and saw a poster up for a program for veterinary students to observe/volunteer. But, the website they provided didn't work. :( Maybe the cheetah breeding project allows volunteers or you could contact them personally for more info about similar opportunities?

Here's something about cheetah conservation I found while googling: http://www.wildlifecentre.co.za/lsp.htm

Is it really expensive to do something like this?

Your looking at at least 2-2.5 grand for a flight. Plus, most of the places that you volunteer at cost something (it's how they pay to keep on running, and pay for your lodging, food, etc) so depending on where you go and for how long that ranges (see Enkosini for some ideas on pricing). Then, when you get there I'm sure you'll want to sightsee, go on trips w/fellow volunteers on "off" days, etc, etc. It is expensive but it is worth every penny!

If any one has any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I spent a few days at the Cheetah Conservation Fund in Namibia. They usually take a couple interns a year I think. I loved it; I went as part of a larger study abroad program. I believe it's hella expensive though. They provide housing, but there's no pay and then you've gotta get there (I think I paid $2500 roundtrip). I plan on going back as a genetics research/veterinary intern.

Cheetahs are my fave too ^_^

Enkosini is a great place to start looking! I spent time at CARE (Baboon Sanctuary) and Makaklali which are both offered through them.

I went to the Cheetah Breeding Project for a day tour and saw a poster up for a program for veterinary students to observe/volunteer. But, the website they provided didn't work. :( Maybe the cheetah breeding project allows volunteers or you could contact them personally for more info about similar opportunities?

Here's something about cheetah conservation I found while googling: http://www.wildlifecentre.co.za/lsp.htm

Your looking at at least 2-2.5 grand for a flight. Plus, most of the places that you volunteer at cost something (it's how they pay to keep on running, and pay for your lodging, food, etc) so depending on where you go and for how long that ranges (see Enkosini for some ideas on pricing). Then, when you get there I'm sure you'll want to sightsee, go on trips w/fellow volunteers on "off" days, etc, etc. It is expensive but it is worth every penny!

If any one has any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Now that I think about it.....I think you may have to donate a few hundred bucks to be able to volunteer. So yes. Expensive.

also, look into whether your school (or prospective school) has an international vet med club. you can almost always get scholarships and grants to defray the costs. and to me I could never put a dollar sign on my experiences there!

I happened to be in a book store in Cape Town last year when I found a book listing veterinarians in the area. I made a list of the clinics and then went to an internet cafe and looked at those that had websites. It was then that I stumbled across "Cape Animal Medical Centre" and took a taxi there the very next day. After talking with the operations manager and explaining what I wanted to do, they were happy to allow me to spend time there and shadow the veterinarians. I got a great experience and saw lots of amazing procedures! This included dental brace placement, blood transfusions, and a splenectomy. Sometimes all you have to do is ask!

Here is the website:

http://www.camc.co.za/

Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

Hi

My name is Yola I come from Joburg and I was born in Africa and now I really miss this country since I m studing in Europe.
However I am visitng my country every year.If you are interested I can recommend some nice places... especially Safairiii
anyway currently I am a student of the 1st year of medicine at the Semmiweis University of Budapest http://www.studiesineurope.com ... .I would like to talk to every person that is interested in going to study abroad from Africa. In my opinion international education has a lot advatages like for example degrees from prestige universities in EU which are opening a lot of possibilities in front of everybody.I encourage any one to the discussion about the programs, deegrees, countries etc. since I have noticed several post about the studiesss...

greetingsss
Yola

Last edited:
Flights do not have to be as expensive as it seems most people paid. I flew last summer to/from Johannesburg for about $1700. Check out deals through South African Airways - you can buy directly from flysaa.com. I just did a quick search for sample fares and found $1551 roundtrip from JFK to Johannesburg in May.

That's great that got such an awesome price!!! BUT there's a few options to take into consideration that could result in others having to spend more $.

Many people do not live in (or near) NYC or Washington DC to fly on South African Airways straight to Johannesburg and therefore would have to take a flight from their closest airport to JFK or DC.

I'd also venture to say most of the wildlife rehab/preserves/etc. of South Africa are not in the city and therefore one would need another connecting flight out of Jo-burg, again having to spend more $. The plus for this situation is that $ 1US= ~7 rand, saving you some money...but it still costs something, nonetheless.

So, if one is interested...keep in mind that if you need to take any connecting flights in addition to your main flight, they add up.

Last edited:
Can't help with Africa, but I did work with a vet in Thailand working on domesticated elephants in the hill tribe villages. So there are options in other places as well.

Oh I've been to South Africa, it was great. I went this (last) Christmas for a month to the Vervet Monkey Foundation. It was really really cool. We got to play with the babies all the time (well, when you had a baby shift) and they leapt on your head and everything. The adults we weren't allowed to go in with (unless you were staying for a long time - 3 months plus) but you could go up to the cages and they'd groom you, checking your hair for lice or doing your cuticles. It was surreal.

If anyone was planning on going to South Africa, I'd definitely recommend the VMF. Their website is www.vervet.za.org if you want to check it out (costs about R7000 ($900 CAD) to go for a month). Baby season is from about Nov - mid March so I would definitely say go then if you want to see the chillins.

K

Also, I know it's not actually South Africa (more, Southern Africa :p) but has anyone been to the Harnas Wildlife place (aka Noah's Ark) in Namibia before? I'd really like to go sometime (once I save up enough money!) so if anyone's been there I'd love the insight. It's the one that Animal Planet plays the commercials for.

Thanks.