South Carolina College of Pharmacy Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call today for an interview at USC on January 12th :) I'm so excited!!!!:):):):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I finished my application and Sue emailed me that it was sent to the Dean's office. I am currently a senior at UGA but my mom completed her Pharm.D at MUSC, so I preferenced MUSC (and who doesn't love Charleston?). I have a 71 PCAT and GPA of 3.71, so I'm crossing my fingers! Anyone have any input as to whether I am a good candidate for an interview?

Hi all! I finished my application and Sue emailed me that it was sent to the Dean's office. I am currently a senior at UGA but my mom completed her Pharm.D at MUSC, so I preferenced MUSC (and who doesn't love Charleston?). I have a 71 PCAT and GPA of 3.71, so I'm crossing my fingers! Anyone have any input as to whether I am a good candidate for an interview?
Great you have your app done! Do you have any volunteer or work experience? Your pcat and GPA are pretty solid. I was accepted last month for the USC campus with a 73 pcat and 3.7 gpa. I also had 40+ hours of volunteer time and research experience. I also have a B.S. in Biology from Univ. Of South Carolina. Your pcat and GPA are very similar to mine and you will have a bachelor's degree in a few months as well. I believe you have a really good chance. Best wishes!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great you have your app done! Do you have any volunteer or work experience? Your pcat and GPA are pretty solid. I was accepted last month for the USC campus with a 73 pcat and 3.7 gpa. I also had 40+ hours of volunteer time and research experience. I also have a B.S. in Biology from Univ. Of South Carolina. Your pcat and GPA are very similar to mine and you will have a bachelor's degree in a few months as well. I believe you have a really good chance. Best wishes!!!

Thanks! Yes, I do have experience. I just got a job as a pharmacy technician at a local hospital, and every once in a while I volunteer at a free health clinic. I'm also hoping applying to the MUSC campus will increase my chances, and my mom also got her Pharm. D from MUSC. Hope to see you in South Carolina!

Aw, dang, I'm on Jan 10th!

And nope not really haha, I planned on taking some form of philosophy in college, but op'd out when I found out about Pharmacy! My name is also Philipp, so it's kind of a pun =p

First of all, good luck if you're checking SDN this morning! Second, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your experience today. Same goes for the group of you interviewing Friday! I still have to wait until NEXT Friday and just want to get it done so I can hear back.

First of all, good luck if you're checking SDN this morning! Second, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your experience today. Same goes for the group of you interviewing Friday! I still have to wait until NEXT Friday and just want to get it done so I can hear back.

Thanks for the good luck wish! However, the snow storms that hit South Carolina last night and today have canceled all government operations and closed down the USC campus, so no interview for me =(. I'm still waiting on SCCP to e-mail me back about a rescheduled interview!

Ah what a bummer! All the classes were cancelled at MUSC and other Charleston schools too. Hope you hear back soon, looks like USC is closed again today but MUSC is open after 10.

Thanks for the good luck wish! However, the snow storms that hit South Carolina last night and today have canceled all government operations and closed down the USC campus, so no interview for me =(. I'm still waiting on SCCP to e-mail me back about a rescheduled interview!
Hey Philosopher,
My interview is tomorrow, and I had to call to cancel mine too cuz the roads in NC n SC are very bad:(

anyone finishing up there pre-reqs at Midlands Tech

yep, i get to take statistics, econ, and bio II starting now. I thought I needed another physics, but apparently i don't :)

I left a message on Nikki's cell phone and also sent her an email. She will call me back tomorrow to reschedule.

Sounds like a plan! I left her an email, but since im still in Columbia do you think I should head up to the school of pharmacy building? Its only like 5 minutes away from where im staying.

Sounds like a plan! I left her an email, but since im still in Columbia do you think I should head up to the school of pharmacy building? Its only like 5 minutes away from where im staying.
Hey,

I also got an email from Dr. Zeigler regarding to rescheduling my interview. You should check the website sc.edu or call them first before you go there. I am not sure the school is reopen tomorrow or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I also got an email from Dr. Zeigler regarding to rescheduling my interview. You should check the website sc.edu or call them first before you go there. I am not sure the school is reopen tomorrow or not.

Hmm, I didn't get an email from Dr. Zeigler =/, but I guess I'll just wait 'til tomorrow for an email from Nikki, and everything here is working on a 2 hour delay. I was just so ready for it haha, but of course a winter storm would come through the south east.

Hmm, I didn't get an email from Dr. Zeigler =/, but I guess I'll just wait 'til tomorrow for an email from Nikki, and everything here is working on a 2 hour delay. I was just so ready for it haha, but of course a winter storm would come through the south east.
Good luck!!!:)

anyone else interviewing feb 25th?? i am so excited! i LOVE charleston and MUSC has a great reputation!

Just got an interview invitation for MUSC yesterday! Does anyone who already interviewed have any questions that they remembered that they could post?

Thanks! I got my interview rescheduled for Jan. 21st :)

Glad you got it worked out, looks like you'll be in Columbia the same day I'm in Charleston. I'll be curious to hear from anyone interviewing today, what they thought of their experience.

Just got an interview invitation for MUSC yesterday! Does anyone who already interviewed have any questions that they remembered that they could post?

Both of my interviews appeared to be in an open format that seemed to be rather unscripted. However there are quite a number of interviewers and I'm sure many have differing styles (thus perhaps some are more scripted than others). In general, I'd be prepared to answer questions about 'why' pharmacy is something you are interested in. Questions about leadership also appeared to be somewhat common.

My interview went real well i think. I had a meeting with the graduate department too, and I met a pharmacy board member.

As it was mentioned, the interview felt very unscripted and laid back. my first interviewer was the Personal Finance professor (not even a pharmD) and his questions and comments were more pointed to being able to tolerate the hardships of living independently, like managing debt.

My second interviewer was worked at the hospital pharmacy, and wanted to know that i had a passion for pharmacy, and not for the $$$$.

They both talked alot, really only asking about 3-4 questions than just telling me there point of view on many things. Make sure you know why you are picking MUSC and pharmacy!

They give you lots of opportunities to ask questions, so i would recommend thinking out of the box. keep in mind there is a new dean, so i asked him about his aspirations and goals for the school... just be creative.

Had my interview on Friday and enjoyed it. Not a high-pressure thing at all. I was glad I had thought about potential questions beforehand because I got a number of them that I was prepared for (use the "Interview Feedback" link up at the top of the page). Was anyone else here at MUSC on the 21st? CharlestonGal89 what did you think?

And apparently there are 120 interviews for 80 slots at MUSC, which I was wanting to know.

Had my interview on Friday and enjoyed it. Not a high-pressure thing at all. I was glad I had thought about potential questions beforehand because I got a number of them that I was prepared for (use the "Interview Feedback" link up at the top of the page). Was anyone else here at MUSC on the 21st? CharlestonGal89 what did you think?

And apparently there are 120 interviews for 80 slots at MUSC, which I was wanting to know.

To add another question, when are we supposed to find out if we get accepted?

To add another question, when are we supposed to find out if we get accepted?

Dr Hall told me they (at least MUSC, dunno about USC) has 3 days of interviews over 3 weeks (I was the 2nd) and then the AdCom meets and they send out letters. Not everyone gets accepted or rejected after the first meeting.

Then they have 3 more sets of interviews and meet again.

He said to expect to hear in 2-3 weeks, by email.

boo! you guys were the second group? i thought you were the third. I was hoping to hear something by Friday (which would be my two-weeks).

Do you know when the third group interviews? I'm guessing it will be this Friday.

Dr Hall told me they (at least MUSC, dunno about USC) has 3 days of interviews over 3 weeks (I was the 2nd) and then the AdCom meets and they send out letters. Not everyone gets accepted or rejected after the first meeting.

Then they have 3 more sets of interviews and meet again.

He said to expect to hear in 2-3 weeks, by email.

The lady who interviewed me said that they were meeting this Monday and that I would hear this week. (I had my interview Friday, Jan 21.)

The lady who interviewed me said that they were meeting this Monday and that I would hear this week. (I had my interview Friday, Jan 21.)

Did you interview at USC or MUSC? Megan I saw you were MUSC... the schedule might be a little different at each school.

Well, if you guys (megan and jklm) both expected to hear from MUSC this week, then maybe we will. And here I thought I didn't have to compulsively check my email yet.

Well, if you guys (megan and jklm) both expected to hear from MUSC this week, then maybe we will. And here I thought I didn't have to compulsively check my email yet.

Haha amen, now ill be freaking out this whole week

When I was interviewing on the 12th of january, Dr Zeigler said after the admission com. met, he would call us and let us know we got in and would ask for a current email address and mailing address. He also explained that there was only 1 admission com. for both schools and they meet every 1-2 weeks. There are professors from both schools on it as well. At least that is what I took from the explanation. He also said that after the initial acceptance we will have 2 weeks to reserve our seat and pay the $440 seat reservation fee. He is shooting for a goal to have everything finished and the final list for acceptance by the beginning of march. He said interviews would be finished by the end of february. Anyone know anything else?????

When I was interviewing on the 12th of january, Dr Zeigler said after the admission com. met, he would call us and let us know we got in and would ask for a current email address and mailing address. He also explained that there was only 1 admission com. for both schools and they meet every 1-2 weeks. There are professors from both schools on it as well. At least that is what I took from the explanation. He also said that after the initial acceptance we will have 2 weeks to reserve our seat and pay the $440 seat reservation fee. He is shooting for a goal to have everything finished and the final list for acceptance by the beginning of march. He said interviews would be finished by the end of february. Anyone know anything else?????

the lady who interviewed me said they (the ad com) were meeting this past Monday (Jan 24) and that I would find out through email most likely this week and at the latest this coming Monday.

I interviewed at MUSC last Friday.

I was told the earliest I could hear back (via email) would be this friday (jan 28).

Although! during my tour, some of the P2s informed me that they called in a month or so after their interview b/c they hadnt heard back yet, and asked if they had been accepted. Turns out they were on the acceptance list, yet no one had told them yet.

And if you dont receive an acceptance letter in the next few days, it doesnt mean you're SOL, they'll continue to review your chart against upcoming interviews.

I thought the interview process was pretty laid back. My first interview was not as good as the second. The first was very rapid fire with the questions and little or no conversation. The second was mostly conversational with 2-3 questions sprinkled throughout. I am hearing many different versions of how the process works. It is likely that we are all speculating. My interpretation is that the admissions committee will meet this week. They will review the files of 3 interview groups. There were 20 in my group, so I am estimating 55-60 files. They will immediately accept 3-5 people (this allows them to say they have "rolling" admission) the rest will be tabled until the remainder are interviewed. Dr Hall said they are interviewing between 120 and 140 candidates. There are 80 spots at the MUSC campus. Therefore, if you got an interview, you have a 57-66% chance of getting in. That's the way I see it. I could be completely wrong.
Good luck to everybody!

I have an interview for the USC campus on Feb 7! I am so nervous!

I get nervous every time I check my e-mail now. I hope if they are going to reject me they do it sooner rather than later. :laugh:

This sounds right :thumbup: I've never been so eager to give someone my money...

I know, I'm in the same boat. After reading this thread I got excited and checked my email and the two newest ones were both from USC (so I naturally got excited). Turns out they were merely mass emails and have nothing to do with pharmacy. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting news on any front (email, phone, mail) and in the process I've become OCD.

I got in!!! Got a phone call this afternoon! I'm so excited! Good luck to everyone!!!

Congratulations!

you're USC, but atleast we know that conclusions are being made, and apparently we receive a phone call.

Congrats taterbug!! If you don't mind me asking, are you out of state or in state? I'm out of state (NC) and I'm waiting to hear back as well. I felt like this fact might be somewhat of an issue, or that is the feeling I got when I came to the school. I interviewed last Wednesday (19th - was supposed to interview the 10th but had to reschedule due to the snow). Anyways, did Dr. Ziegler call you? This school is definitely one of my top choices and I don't know if I should email Dr. Ziegler to inquire about my status.

I live in sc... Im not sure if being out of state matters been here all my life. I emailed nikki yesterday and she said they were pretty swamped to be patient and hang in there. I got my phone call today from dr zeigler around 4.

Hey everyone!

I just got my acceptance email today for the musc campus!! Soo excited!!

Congrats taterbug & jet!
Now I don't know if I'll be able to stand waiting 2 weeks for my interview. *whew*

Congrats to those who have heard! I also got an email for SCCP this morning! Unfortunately it was from PharmCas announcing SCCP joined their system, haha. What a tease. I wonder why they joined it now at the end of January. Says a deadline of March 1st. Maybe those of us in this first interview batch were so uninspiring they needed new applicants :p

Congrats to those who have heard! I also got an email for SCCP this morning! Unfortunately it was from PharmCas announcing SCCP joined their system, haha. What a tease. I wonder why they joined it now at the end of January. Says a deadline of March 1st. Maybe those of us in this first interview batch were so uninspiring they needed new applicants :p

I think that is for South College School of Pharmacy. It is brand new and in TN.

Just got my acceptance call about 5 minutes ago for Columbia, I'm so excited. Cannot wait to meet you all in class.

Nevermind, I just got the call about 2 minutes ago! :)