Southern College of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollSmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I have an upcoming interview at SCO and I was wondering if anyone could let me know possible questions and their experience with the interview! Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I was accepted a few months ago, so I might be able to help! There are two interviews. The first one they only know your name and state, so sell yourself and be able to talk about optometry issues, the future, anything you did in undergrad related to optometry (I wrote a research paper on macular degeneration), and just make sure the interviewer knows you really want this as your career. It's really more of a conversation. The second interview you need to be able to answer for your activities, volunteer work, grades, hobbies and be sure to ask lots of your own questions! They like it when you're interested in them. Overall, very laid back and comfortable! The food is great and the eye center is amazing!

Congrats! And how many people interview you each time? Are you going there? And is there any crazy out of the ordinary questions they ask? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's only one person for each interview, so it's not intimidating at all. I am officially going there and I cannot wait to live in Memphis! There's nothing exceptionally weird about the questions that I can recall. Just know your stuff, know why you want to be there, goals for the future, make sure they know you can handle professional school, be familiar with some polices and laws in your home state (or state you want to practice in). I did a lot of research on tennesssee and surrounding states' laws. I knew about practicing with lasers, political optometry, but that was probably being over prepared because they didn't directly ask about any of that. Honestly, the interviewers just want to see that you're passionate

Awesome yeah I could definitely brush up on the political parts but anything else I feel comfortable talking about and I am most definitely passionate!!! Did you consider any other schools?

I had 4 interviews scheduled after SCO, but I cancelled the rest. I loved it there and with the cost of the school and my roommate situation, it made the most sense for me to be there. If I hadn't picked Southern, I probably would have gone to Indiana or UMSL, though. Salus was a huge turn off once I got there and I haven't heard the best things about NOVA either. In my opinion, SCO and SUNY are probably the top two in the east considering board passing rates and quality of student they enroll. But this is all my biased opinion.lol If you choose to go somewhere else I'm sure you'd get a great education and everything, but I hope you choose SCO!

I'm only decidig between nova suny and s c o if I get it. I'm on hold at suny and accepted into nova but not considering anywhere else. I've heard such great things about s c o which the why I absolutely need to check it out. Where are you from originally and what have you heard about nova?

If I had the funds, I might go to
SUNY, but I didn't even apply there. I'm from Tennessee, but since SCO is a private school, there's no in/out of state tuition to really consider. I've meet doctors that went to NOVA and they said the way they had to prepare for boards was awful. There was no prep course or anything and most of their class spent too much time at the beach to concentrate on studying. It might be different now, but it's definitely not as highly regarded as SCO or SUNY

Yeah I loved it there but I am worried about that. If you don't mind me asking how old are they? Because I've heard nova has gotten a lot better recently. Also, I'm from new York so that's why I was considering suny because it's cheap for me hahah

The people from nova were in their early 30's, so it could have changed in the last few years. And if I was from New York, I would definitely be going to suny.lol good luck with everything! I'm interested to know what you decide!

If I get into s c o I'm definitely going there that school is amazing I have no words for how amazing my experience there was

That's great! Yeah, the experience they give with their interview and tour and everything was beyond every aspect of what I imagined. Plus, I felt like they actually seemed like they wanted me there instead of just giving another interview

Yeah it was spectacular. Do you know the interview to acceptance rate?

I know last year they interviewed almost 800 and accepted around 130

It's not too bad, though. Most of the people I interviewed with still had 3 or 4 interviews to go to, so i'm sure many of them picked a different school. Either way, if you've got a good OAT and gpa, I'd say you have a good chance!

Yeah my gpa isn't great but my o a t was good so hopefully I can pull through. I am beyond in love with that school