Spanish for dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took three years of spanish in high school and a semester in college to buy the credits needed to satisfy my degree. Sadly, I've forgotten some basics since then. My school has a big Hispanic patient pool and I wanted to pick some basic conversational spanish up again...enough to communicate with the patient and be able to explain fillings, crowns and dentures, other treatment options and important things that are discussed during an office visit. Does anyone have any recommendations (books, CDs, etc.) that are are designed for this purpose?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a fun site for healthcare providers. Something to play around with anyway. It is great for those that have had a few years of spanish and want to turn it into practical medical basics. It is mostly geared toward other medical professions, but I found it helpful.

¡Buena suerte!

http://www.practicingspanish.com/

Last edited:
Hello,

I took three years of spanish in high school and a semester in college to buy the credits needed to satisfy my degree. Sadly, I've forgotten some basics since then. My school has a big Hispanic patient pool and I wanted to pick some basic conversational spanish up again...enough to communicate with the patient and be able to explain fillings, crowns and dentures, other treatment options and important things that are discussed during an office visit. Does anyone have any recommendations (books, CDs, etc.) that are are designed for this purpose?

Thanks

All you need to know is:

"Paga la cuenta, por favor." :laugh:

Seriously though, it's great to know enough to get by and have conversations about little things.... but you have to be fluent to properly give informed consent to patients so make sure you still have somebody who is a native-speaker around when the paperwork comes out ;).

The Hispanic community loves it when non-spanish speakers try to communicate in Spanish. If you just ask, "How do I say..." this, I bet someone would be happy to tell you. Even if you start speaking like a Gringo, they don't care. Don't be afraid!

I suggest watching Telemundo with subtitles on. No joke, you will remember reflexive verbs, subjective tenses, commands, everything. It just takes a few hours before you start to pick back up on it. After a while, you won't even realize its in Spanish because you aren't translating from Spanish to English in your mind, you just start to understand it in Spanish.

Plus, if you have cable, you are already paying for it!

P.S. For specific medical terminology, you'd probably need some kind of medical translation dictionary. I'm sure someone has realized there is a need for this and you can get one somewhere.