Ntte

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
8
0
Status
hi all, could someone suggest the best (simple and easy to learn) source for learning Spanish to have enough base to complete the residency training. I saw some books at a bookstore but most are kind of too complicated or too high level.

I am looking to learn the absolutely necessary sentences, key words.
 

EpiDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
Status
Just ask me and I will translate for you what you consider the absolutely necessary sentences, key words.
 
OP
N

Ntte

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
8
0
Status
EpiDoc said:
Just ask me and I will translate for you what you consider the absolutely necessary sentences, key words.

Thanks for your kindness.

1. What is your name ?
2. How are you feeling ?
3. Are you in pain ?
4. Please sit on the edge of the bed.
5. Please take some deep breaths in and out.
 

monkey7247

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
250
1
Dallas, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Ntte said:
Thanks for your kindness.

1. What is your name ?
2. How are you feeling ?
3. Are you in pain ?
4. Please sit on the edge of the bed.
5. Please take some deep breaths in and out.
1) Cual es su nombre? or Como te llamas?
2.) Como sientes?
3) Tienes dolor?
4) Por favor sientate aqui. (point to bed edge)
5) Respire profundo. (remember to say "respire normal" when you want them to stop or they'll breath heavy for your whole exam)

One that works for me is "Toca donde te duele", asks them to touch where they hurt.

hope that helps, I am not a spanish speaker. Spelling is probably all wrong.
 

EpiDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
Status
monkey7247 said:
1) Cual es su nombre? or Como te llamas?
2.) Como sientes?
3) Tienes dolor?
4) Por favor sientate aqui. (point to bed edge)
5) Respire profundo. (remember to say "respire normal" when you want them to stop or they'll breath heavy for your whole exam)

One that works for me is "Toca donde te duele", asks them to touch where they hurt.

hope that helps, I am not a spanish speaker. Spelling is probably all wrong.
Agree with monkey7247 (spelling is great) :thumbup: . Just to clarify:

2) Como te sientes? better than Como sientes?

I am a spanish speaker. If you need further assistance, don´t hesitate to contact me. :)
 

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
2,713
74
53
MN
Status
Attending Physician
I also think that maybe instead of saying "como te sientes" it would be best with older patients to say "come se siente"...the "te" is more informal for younger folks versus the se is a little bit more formal and used with older patients.
 
OP
N

Ntte

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
8
0
Status
but could you please break down the sentences a little:

What =
How=
You=
Name=
Pain=
Feeling=

I will soon become a medium level learner, I have taken a resolution to learn one Spanish word a day until July 2005.

thanks again.
 
OP
N

Ntte

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
8
0
Status
I take it this is how you would pronounce the word. for eg: ' komo sientes' with an ' s ' sound at the end. Please correct it if not correct...
 

EpiDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
6
0
Status
Ntte said:
but could you please break down the sentences a little:

What =
How=
You=
Name=
Pain=
Feeling=

I will soon become a medium level learner, I have taken a resolution to learn one Spanish word a day until July 2005.

thanks again.
I´m going to break down the sentence, but let me tell you that it wont make sense:
What= que
How= como
You= tu
Name= nombre
Pain= dolor
Feeling= as a verb: sintiendo, as a noun: sentimiento/sensacion.

BTW, I totally agree with efex101. I didn´t want to mention it before, trying to avoid complexity, but she is right.
 

monkey7247

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
250
1
Dallas, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
efex101 said:
I also think that maybe instead of saying "como te sientes" it would be best with older patients to say "come se siente"...the "te" is more informal for younger folks versus the se is a little bit more formal and used with older patients.
Yeah, the usted form is preferred, but I've found that when folks know you aren't a native speaker, they take what they can get. Obviously, the person starting this thread has little spanish experience. Getting into grammar may be beyond what they were looking for.


But you are correct.
 
OP
N

Ntte

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
8
0
Status
to all.....
It looks a lot better than what anyone could expect with words like ' respire' and ' profundo'..

Now the question is does the sentence pattern follow the same format like pronoun+ verb + object; especially with questions do they follow the same pattern- to me it looks that way with "como te sientes / llamas"

or do you think I should get hold of a grammar book of elementary level.
 

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
2,713
74
53
MN
Status
Attending Physician
I would probably get an elementary grammar level book. Also I think there are some medical Spanish CD's you can listen to...but not 100% sure about this.
 

The Engineer

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would go to unforgettablelanguages.com (I think that is the URL but I am not compleatly for sure but that is the company name.) I have been pretty impressed with some of the stuff I have seen from them and they have medical spanish short courses you can buy.

¡Exitos! (Sucess!)