spanish major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlywurly

hair gel enthusiast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Instead of double majoring in biology with a neurobiology emphasis and spanish like I had originally intended, I've been considering dropping the bio major and just sticking with spanish. I don't know exactly why I like spanish, other than it's really easy for me, and I haven't had to work all that hard to get a good grade. I was thinking that maybe I would keep taking bio classes after getting all my MCAT pre-reqs done and continue with bio as far as I can before I grauate. I know that med schools don't really care about what you major in, but I'm not sure what I would do with a spanish major if med school doesn't work out.:rolleyes: Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's an excellent idea for the following reasons:

1) A Spanish major will differentiate you from the 10 million bio majors who apply.
2) Your major is likely to lead to some truly meaningful (as opposed to poseur-level) work abroad, if that's an interest of yours.
3) Should you find that you don't get admitted to med school during your first round of applications, or if you ever need to take a year off for any reason, you can get an excellent, well-paying job as a medical translator. This is way better than being a test tube washing scut-monkey. :thumbup:
4) Once you are admitted, it will help a ton with your patient interactions and general patient care.

You talk as if bio degrees just real in the career opportunities.

If you want to major in Spanish major in Spanish. Personally I wouldn't pick a major "because it's easy" though...