Spare Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any D2-D4 recommend getting a cheap pair of loupes off ebay or amazon as a backup set in case your usual set has to be serviced or breaks, etc? Would you recommend getting something nicer than a cheap pair off those websites or do I need to get a backup pair at all? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Would any D2-D4 recommend getting a cheap pair of loupes off ebay or amazon as a backup set in case your usual set has to be serviced or breaks, etc? Would you recommend getting something nicer than a cheap pair off those websites or do I need to get a backup pair at all? Thanks.

I graduated a couple years ago, but I'll answer anyway. I'm not sure I'd bother getting spare loupes given the quality of the cheap loupes. If you start with 2.5x mag, there is a reasonable chance you'll bump up. In that case, the 2.5x loupes make excellent backup loupes.

The advice I'm more confident about is that the cheap Amazon loupes can only be used at 2.5x mag.
The 3.5x, 4x, 4.5x ect all focus terribly. If you do manage to get the image right at these higher magnifications, you need to readjust constantly.

Tl;dr Don't get the cheap Amazon/Ebay loupes in high mag.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated a couple years ago, but I'll answer anyway. I'm not sure I'd bother getting spare loupes given the quality of the cheap loupes. If you start with 2.5x mag, there is a reasonable chance you'll bump up. In that case, the 2.5x loupes make excellent backup loupes.

The advice I'm more confident about is that the cheap Amazon loupes can only be used at 2.5x mag.
The 3.5x, 4x, 4.5x ect all focus terribly. If you do manage to get the image right at these higher magnifications, you need to readjust constantly.

Tl;dr Don't get the cheap Amazon/Ebay loupes in high mag.
Thanks for the advice! I definitely did not go cheap on the loupes. I really wanted to spend as little as possible but I saw how important they are to your success so I invested way more than expected. I just wanted to see if it would be a good idea to have a backup in school in case mine are out of service for a time so I’m not without magnification. Your opinion on the super cheap ones don’t surprise me, I assumed they were cheap for a reason haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two oralscoptic loupes. To my knowledge, most dentists do.

Its better to invest in having two solid pairs of loupes while you are still a student imo. If one breaks or has an issue, it usually takes a few weeks for the company to fix them and send them back. In practice, you're not always going to have access to a loaner pair either. Also, your student discount allows you to get them for about half the price that it will cost you after you graduate.