Quantcast

Sparse but quality EC list - does number matter?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cementite

Reaction score
I've all but finalized my ECs for this upcoming cycle and compared to some other lists I've seen mine looks, well, weak at first sight. I basically have one research, one clinical, one non-clinical, shadowing, and "other" (hobbies, etc.). Each of my activities are quality and long-running (2-3 years), but I feel like they're weak in comparison to people with several ~1 year activities. I'm worried that I will be seen as not having diverse enough activities since I have so few.

Do you think it matters how many activities you list? I know that quality > quantity in general, but is there a certain point where that becomes untrue?

Reaction score
Three items would look too sparse. I'd be fine with five quality items with much longer than average durations like yours.

If you want to fluff it up a bit, you could separate out subcomponents of Leadership (organizational or management role) or Teaching (orienting newcomers, coaching, mentoring, tutoring) from a given activity and list that part with its own hours and date span in another space.

Don't forget Awards/Honors/Recognitions, Employment, and Artistic Endeavors (creative hobbies that you share publically).

coyotelime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that having fewer ECs, especially volunteering activities, may cause some adcoms to doubt your genuine passion for service. To some extent we all do it to check off a list, but most of us try to find activities we truly enjoy(i.e. ones that we don't quit after an acceptance). If you convey your love for community service effectively in your PS, activities description, secondaries, and interviews the relative paucity in number won't matter.

But hey, I'm not an adcom member, so I'm sure LizzyM could provide more accurate information.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any employment (summer or school year) or other activities even if they aren't related to medicine can be included. You've got 5 items which is on the low side but if each is years in length then it isn't worrisome.