How do I list weekly hours for a meaningful EC without looking ridiculous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medbuddha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my non-clinical ECs is something I’ve been involved with for 4 years, volunteering about one week per month for 2-4 hours each time. This activity means a lot to me for personal reasons so I want to include it, but the total hours will only be ~110 (this is not my only non-clinical EC). How do I calculate the “weekly” hours without it looking ridiculous?

I’ve read that applicants do this:
Divide total hours by the number of weeks of the total duration (i.e. 4 years = 208 weeks) rather than the actual number of volunteer weeks. This would be 110 hours /208 weeks = 0.53 (i.e. 30 minutes per week!).

This looks crazy to me and it’s erroneous because each week I volunteered it was at least 2-4 hours for that week. I can’t imagine doing anything meaningful for 30 minutes a week.

Can I divide by the number of ACTUAL weeks I volunteered during the 4 years? I haven’t counted all my weeks yet but let’s say it’s 54 weeks over 4 years:

110 hrs total / 54 weeks = 2 hours per week

This is more accurate but I’m concerned that it would be confusing unless I say somewhere that this was one week per month.

What is the most common way of calculating weekly hours in this scenario? If adcoms fail to read the description of the activity being one week per month and only focus on the “2 hours per week,” then they’ll be confused as to why the total hours is only 110 over 4 years… or just think I’m stupid and can’t do basic math. Ugh. Help.
 
I think you put in total estimated hours in applications. Why are you doing this math? You will list this and your dates.

The quick math is easy. 50 weeks in a year (because most should take 2 weeks off for holidays). Divide total hours by 50. We can do this, and you don't need to provide this information in your description.

We will see the years and adjust.

I would not put a spin on your activities hours. You see the challenge of claiming a meaningful activity with just around 100 hours. Simple answer is continue the work as what you have done is done. Tell the truth that you worked 2 hours per visit.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you put in total estimated hours in applications. Why are you doing this math? You will list this and your dates.

The quick math is easy. 50 weeks in a year (because most should take 2 weeks off for holidays). Divide total hours by 50. We can do this, and you don't need to provide this information in your description.

We will see the years and adjust.

I would not put a spin on your activities hours. You see the challenge of claiming a meaningful activity with just around 100 hours. Simple answer is continue the work as what you have done is done. Tell the truth that you worked 2 hours per visit.
Thank you for your response. I know weekly hour averages are not required to be listed for AMCAS activities, but they are required for TMDSAS and AACOMAS as far as I've read. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a Texas resident so TMDSAS is important and I will be applying to osteopathic schools outside of Texas.

I absolutely want to portray the realistic hours per volunteer session which is why dividing by 50 weeks will not work as this results in an erroneous calculation of about 30 minutes per week for a volunteer session which is wrong... each of my sessions were at least 2 hours. It's only an issue for this activity because it was a once a month thing, not weekly. I hear you about the relevance of 100 hours, but my activity was done over 4 years and it is personally meaningful to me, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
 
Thank you for your response. I know weekly hour averages are not required to be listed for AMCAS activities, but they are required for TMDSAS and AACOMAS as far as I've read. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a Texas resident so TMDSAS is important and I will be applying to osteopathic schools outside of Texas.

I absolutely want to portray the realistic hours per volunteer session which is why dividing by 50 weeks will not work as this results in an erroneous calculation of about 30 minutes per week for a volunteer session which is wrong... each of my sessions were at least 2 hours. It's only an issue for this activity because it was a once a month thing, not weekly. I hear you about the relevance of 100 hours, but my activity was done over 4 years and it is personally meaningful to me, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
you don't need to overthink or overexplain the hours calculation. Describe in the description the help you gave or the meaning it had
 
Thank you for your response. I know weekly hour averages are not required to be listed for AMCAS activities, but they are required for TMDSAS and AACOMAS as far as I've read. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a Texas resident so TMDSAS is important and I will be applying to osteopathic schools outside of Texas.

I absolutely want to portray the realistic hours per volunteer session which is why dividing by 50 weeks will not work as this results in an erroneous calculation of about 30 minutes per week for a volunteer session which is wrong... each of my sessions were at least 2 hours. It's only an issue for this activity because it was a once a month thing, not weekly. I hear you about the relevance of 100 hours, but my activity was done over 4 years and it is personally meaningful to me, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Well I make it 50 not just for easier calculation... Most people don't work/volunteer during Christmas/New Years and July 1/4 week... 🙂 But I understand that point. 🙂