Spazzing out before CK tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Taking CK tomorrow and not sure how to feel right now. Here's my situation: did UWorld once throughout the year. Averaged 61%.

Took 4 weeks for dedicated. I thought I would finish UWorld the second time and fit in a practice exam somewhere. Was not able to finish UWorld and have like 120 questions left. When I was doing tutor untimed I was averaging 81-82% but towards the end when I started to do timed blocks I'm only averaging like 74-75%.

GIven that I've done almost all of it for a second pass, do my percentages reflect well/poorly? I'm aiming for like a 230+. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you'll be fine. At this point, it's all about game day performance. Scores can swing quite a bit depending on how calm. well rested, etc. you are the day of. Just go in with confidence and perform to the best of your ability. Manage your time as best you can and don't be afraid to dig deep into your break time. I'm rooting for you, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think you'll be fine. At this point, it's all about game day performance. Scores can swing quite a bit depending on how calm. well rested, etc. you are the day of. Just go in with confidence and perform to the best of your ability. Manage your time as best you can and don't be afraid to dig deep into your break time. I'm rooting for you, good luck!
Thanks a lot! That test was freakin' brutal lol. Way tougher than UWorld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure is this is true for everyone but it helped me day of to know how horrible everyone felt about it. I didnt freak out during my test because I expected it to be a hot mess and knew my test/experience was normal

Yeah that does make sense. Everyone on the forum is talking about how tough it was so at least I have an idea going in. A surprising amount of people seem to be running out of time on blocks so time management is definitely something to keep an eye on.

The timing issue is tough because the questions are long and worded ambiguously so you don’t have much of a choice but to read through carefully. My best advice would be to not waste even more time trying to pick between 2 choices, just select and move on.
I think most people (myself included) were still able to finish the blocks in time but how rushed and down to the wire we were was not like assessments. Also for me my first two blocks were rough and I barely skimmed through the last handful of questions because I wasn’t expecting timing to be a problem.

I’m not sure how much you can prepare for that but I could see it being a disaster for people who had time issues to begin with. I think even just if you go into it knowing feeling rushed is typical it will help you not freak out during the exam. Not freaking out and just going through the blocks as best you can is key.

Edit: also knowing timing is a thing and not taking your sweet time during the first block like I did will help. I was still rushed but got better with reading questions fully after my first block.

Thanks Quincy, really appreciate the insight. I have a bad habit of letting anxiety get to me early on and not reading properly due to nerves. It gets better later but it tends to cost me on the earlier questions. I'll try to go into it mentally ready and come out shooting à la Lebron Game 6 vs. Boston in 2012.

Np! Glad it made sense, I’m still processing the experience like with any other board lol

As long as you don’t have problems with timing in general and are scoring where you want to be on practices I wouldn’t worry. One good thing about the test is there are lots of blocks so it’s not a big deal if your first block is not your best or is a bit of a warm up. That helped me not freak out for sure. And if you feel like the test is hard and you are rushed through blocks it’s just a normal part of the test and just keep plugging through until it’s over.

Yeah my scores are a bit spread out. 220 on nbme 6, 242 on uwsa1 and 226 on uwsa2. I'm counting on a generous curve hopefully getting me into the 230s, or if I'm really lucky then the 240s. What do you think Quincy?

Yeah my scores are a bit spread out. 220 on nbme 6, 242 on uwsa1 and 226 on uwsa2. I'm counting on a generous curve hopefully getting me into the 230s, or if I'm really lucky then the 240s. What do you think Quincy?

imo nbme 6 is the dumbest assement and nothing like the real deal. I even found nbme 7 better than 6 but that’s not a typical experience so I would hesitate to suggest it. I wouldn't worry about nbme 6 though because it’s stupid and you did better on the UWSAs. I think your UWSAs put you at a decent shot for 230+ but you could also take nbme 8 for a better idea of your range