Special Circumstances...? How much detail?

Started by bbeventer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bbeventer

Illinois 2016
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I have been a lurker for awhile but now have a question I hope you guys can help me figure out. So I am just about to submit my CSU supp when I started second guessing myself on just how much detail I should go into about my "special circumstance".

In 2009, my brain started to swell over the summer causing massive headaches and continued into the fall semester (I was taking summer classes) where it reached its worst and I was hospitalized on the day for finals (of course) I was able to make up my finals but I was on serious pain meds as well as recovering from a spinal tap and such and preformed poorly which effected one class which happened to be weighted, I got a C Zoo, C in Orgo and a D in Orgo Lab. I am making up the lab this semester though. It dented my 3.78 GPA pretty hard and I have been working extremely hard to raise it ever since. So should I tell them all that or should I tell them I just got sick?
 
In my opinion it would serve you best not to blame pain meds but instead to mention what happened to you and that you were in serious pain and tried your best. If this was the only time your grades took a dip like that then an explanation would definitely be in your favor. Better to explain then to leave them to make their own assumptions
 
I have no idea the right answer to this question. But I think that the brain swelling story is much more interesting than simply "I got sick". Plus I'm sure they get a lot of "I got sick", so maybe telling them the real story would help you stick out. The only reason it might be bad to list is if it could possibly happen again or hinder your ability to do well in vet school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only reason it might be bad to list is if it could possibly happen again or hinder your ability to do well in vet school.

This was my worry to, as I can't honestly say the issue is completely dealt with. I am however on meds that seem to be working quite well.

Thats the other thing to, I dont want it to come off as I am making excuses. Up to this point my grades were great minus a couple B's in Spanish.... 😳
 
I dont think you have to talk about now if you feel that the meds are working. If this incident happened and is now under control, just talk about what happened then. However, know that it might come up in an interview and be prepared to talk about it.

Ultimately do what feels right for you. You dont have to make it sound like an excuse if its a fact that impacted your grades and you are taking responsibility for it and repeating the class.
 
So I refined it down to be cut and dry to the point this is what happen, this was the outcome, this is what I am doing to fix it. Brief, for the large 5000 character box they give. But I think I am happy with it. Thanks for the help!
 
So I refined it down to be cut and dry to the point this is what happen, this was the outcome, this is what I am doing to fix it. Brief, for the large 5000 character box they give. But I think I am happy with it. Thanks for the help!

Please make sure you typed it into the correct box. The 5,000 character box is for your personal statement; the 2,000 character box is for your explanation statement. Wouldn't want you to accidentally mix up the boxes!
 
Try and be succinct, as well - don't ramble on about it. Just say what happened, what you went through, how it affected you classwork (like it made finals week difficult and stuff) and then talk about how it's better now and you're making up for the grades.

A 3.78 is nothing to sneeze at anyway - you're fine there - just explain the sudden bad semester. You'll be fine. 🙂
 
Try and be succinct, as well - don't ramble on about it. Just say what happened, what you went through, how it affected you classwork (like it made finals week difficult and stuff) and then talk about how it's better now and you're making up for the grades.

A 3.78 is nothing to sneeze at anyway - you're fine there - just explain the sudden bad semester. You'll be fine. 🙂

Thanks, yeah the original I had was a little bit longer, I revised it down and I think it is pretty straight forward. Ellie, this is for the CSU supp, it gives a 5000 character box for special circumstances... or am I horribly in correct 😕

Unfortunately, I had a 3.7, now I have a 3.2.
 
Oooh, my bad! I didn't mean to confuse you! I'll just keep my mouth shut and go back to torturing myself with my supplemental :whistle:
 
Your fine I totally appreciate the replies, I think I have hit that critical freak out point... however, I think my CSU supp is ready to fly away! :xf: