Special Circumstances. Please Read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to post in the special circumstances thread but the thread was locked. I pmed one of the people there but he/she seems to busy so I will have to post it here. I already asked a few people but would like to hear what others have to say.

A friend that I trusted used my address to mail things that he bought online with stolen credit cards that I was totally unaware of. I was arrested for receiving stolen property in 2009 the charge was first brought as felony, got reduced to misdemeanor then later dismissed after I finish community service as a part of DEJ (deferred of judgment). The only reason why I accept the DEJ because I did not have the resources to take the case to trial. I thought dismissed would be the same as innocent but it appears we live in a guilty till proven innocent country.

As far as legal solution goes my lawyer told me there is nothing to do because there is no conviction to expunge and the only way to completely destroy the arrest record is for a judge to agree to a factual innocence which is rarely granted. All the evidence against me are circumstantial, you can argue both ways whether I know if it was stolen goods so I can't prove with certainty to a judge that I did not know.

I am applying this coming June so can anyone tell me how medical schools view arrest with no conviction? The primary apps only ask for convictions so I answer no.

Would the secondary ask for arrests? I know Texas schools ask for arrests but I am not applying to Texas. I did some research and know that I will have to disclose the arrest to licensing board but it will be a few years down the road and I think I can convince the board that I am a changed man.

Finally how do I post in the Special Circumstances thread?

Thank you.

Edit:
I seem to have posted in the wrong place can any mod move this out to Premed allopathic forum?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I tried to post in the special circumstances thread but the thread was locked. I pmed one of the people there but he/she seems to busy so I will have to post it here. I already asked a few people but would like to hear what others have to say.

A friend that I trusted used my address to mail things that he bought online with stolen credit cards that I was totally unaware of. I was arrested for receiving stolen property in 2009 the charge was first brought as felony, got reduced to misdemeanor then later dismissed after I finish community service as a part of DEJ (deferred of judgment). The only reason why I accept the DEJ because I did not have the resources to take the case to trial. I thought dismissed would be the same as innocent but it appears we live in a guilty till proven innocent country.

As far as legal solution goes my lawyer told me there is nothing to do because there is no conviction to expunge and the only way to completely destroy the arrest record is for a judge to agree to a factual innocence which is rarely granted. All the evidence against me are circumstantial, you can argue both ways whether I know if it was stolen goods so I can't prove with certainty to a judge that I did not know.

I am applying this coming June so can anyone tell me how medical schools view arrest with no conviction? The primary apps only ask for convictions so I answer no.

Would the secondary ask for arrests? I know Texas schools ask for arrests but I am not applying to Texas. I did some research and know that I will have to disclose the arrest to licensing board but it will be a few years down the road and I think I can convince the board that I am a changed man.

Finally how do I post in the Special Circumstances thread?

Thank you.

Stupid. It's always better to fight these things up front, especially if you are innocent. Funds or no funds you gotta fight.

In the situation you are in now, you should probably still try to get a finding of factual innocence if possible. You have to disclose this to medical schools now. This will likely show up on background checks. Explain the circumstances and hope for the best.