Help: Low undergrad GPA due to special circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mosafer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I apologize in advance for this long post.
I have been actively trying to gain acceptance to a MD/DO program in the past 3 years. I am hoping that you'd be able to kindly navigate me to make a right decision after reading a little about my background.
I migrated to the U.S at age of 20 (about 10 years ago) and I had to overcome multiple financial, family and emotional problems during my undergraduate years. Unfortunately my poor time management and decision making skills significantly hindered my academic performance and I graduated with a 2.86 cumulative GPA in 2014. i Obviously my GPA let me with no chance at pursuing my medical eduction.

In the next two years, series of events and personal experiences confirmed I had to figure out a way to make up for my mistakes at all cost. I have retaken almost all of my science courses. I obtained a cumulative post-baccalaureate GPA of 3.7 while I participated in multiple extracurricular activities including but not limited to being a Learning Assistant for 3 semesters and obtaining over 2000 hours of hands on patient experiences, working as a medical assistant.

My achievements however do not express the tremendous amount of time, energy, motivation and discipline that I had to put in to thrive. In 2019, I finally was diagnosed with ADHD which explained all sort of difficulties I had to face previously. Since the onset of my treatment, I have experienced significant improvement in all aspect of my life including my academic productivity.

Unfortunately, my applications to Medical-track master programs and DO/MD schools have been rejected in the past two years as my science GPA is still below 3.0. I have taken MCAT 3 times. I took my most recent MCAT score, a few months after I started my treatment and scored 500. I am confident with more time, and practice I can obtain a competitive score. I am also in the process of applying to three MMS programs

I would greatly appreciate it if you provide me with some feedbacks in regards to choosing my next move.

My questions:
1. Would I benefit from continuing my post-baccalaureate studies, considering that it will not affect my GPA much.
2. Should I mention my untreated ADHD in my future applications.
3. Should I consider re-taking the MCAT during the gap year ahead , or should I wait after I finish a master program?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1. A sustained period of academic excellence in the sciences is needed.
2. A reasonable explanation will be well-received if there is a dramatic improvement since treatment.
3. Do not take the MCAT again until you are confident of a score much better than 500 (without regard to any degree program).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
What is your cGPA and sGPA including your post baccalaureate courses ? Where is your state of residence ? Your current MCAT of 500 is adequate for many DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m just not seeing a way without complete an MMS program and doing well (>3.5)

Have you considered the Caribbean?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
DO is your best bet if you do a 1 year masters at a DO school you're interested in attending.

Reactions: 2 users
1. A sustained period of academic excellence in the sciences is needed.
2. A reasonable explanation will be well-received if there is a dramatic improvement since treatment.
3. Do not take the MCAT again until you are confident of a score much better than 500 (without regard to any degree program).
Thank you very much for your response.

What is your cGPA and sGPA including your post baccalaureate courses ? Where is your state of residence ? Your current MCAT of 500 is adequate for many DO schools.
My cGPA at this point is 2.99
sGPA: 2.89
I live in Florida. I have applied to Master programs (bridge and independent), and DO schools every year, for the past three years while retaking as many courses as I could. I think my below 3.0 science GPA is one of the main reasons that I havent made it to an interview.

I’m just not seeing a way without complete an MMS program and doing well (>3.5)

Have you considered the Caribbean?

I am about to submit my application for a MMS program (for the 4th time :D), but I am not sure if I should mention my resolved medical condition at this point!

My cGPA at this point is 2.99
sGPA: 2.89
I live in Florida. I have applied to Master programs (bridge and independent), and DO schools every year, for the past three years while retaking as many courses as I could. I think my below 3.0 science GPA is one of the main reasons that I havent made it to an interview.
You are correct. You will be screened out at many DO schools with a sGPA of 2.89. You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Then you could receive interviews at some DO schools.
When you attain that 3.0 sGPA I suggest applying to all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CHSU-COM (new school)
Sam Houston State (new school)
Any new schools that open in the next 2 years (there will be several)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so your MCAT of 500 is fine for all of them. It is your current sGPA that is preventing you from receiving interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
You are correct. You will be screened out at many DO schools with a sGPA of 2.89. You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Then you could receive interviews at some DO schools.
When you attain that 3.0 sGPA I suggest applying to all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CHSU-COM (new school)
Sam Houston State (new school)
Any new schools that open in the next 2 years (there will be several)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so your MCAT of 500 is fine for all of them. It is your current sGPA that is preventing you from receiving interviews.

Thanks a lot :D

Have you applied to LECOM? or was that not on your list? I have a similar GPA and about 56 credits of upper levels courses at a 3.89 and I spoke with the Dean thanks to a friend who is enrolled and he said that I shouldn't apply to the masters and apply straight to the medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you applied to LECOM? or was that not on your list? I have a similar GPA and about 56 credits of upper levels courses at a 3.89 and I spoke with the Dean thanks to a friend who is enrolled and he said that I shouldn't apply to the masters and apply straight to the medical school.
Hi, thanks for reading my post.
Did the dean explain why he would not recommend applying to master programs?

Hi, thanks for reading my post.
Did the dean explain why he would not recommend applying to master programs?

He just stated that it was unnecessary due to my most recent course work.