Special Master's Forumn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctothed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are programs tailored for those who are interested in boosting GPA or making themselves more competitive by taking graduate level courses. I have applied to the following schools:
  1. Georgetown SMP Physiology
  2. Drexel U IMS
  3. BU MA Medical Sciences
  4. NYMedical College MS Biomedical Sciences
  5. Loyola Masters Medical Sciences
  6. Roswel Cancer Institute U of Buffalo (MS)
  7. Barry University (Miami) Masters Biomedical Sciences
  8. Eastern Virginia Medical School MS
  9. U NJ Dental and Medical School Division of Grad Studies (Newark)
I am waiting to hear from the first 5, accepted at the last four. Can people who know these programs well please give your opinions and advice on the benefits, strengths and weaknesses of the programs. They are all different but 'claim' to have high success rates. My offers are expiring fast :eek: - so i need to make some decisions quickly. I just don't think there is a good source of info on these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

WHOOPS- there is no apostrophe in Masters. :laugh:

ctothed said:
WHOOPS- there is no apostrophe in Masters. :laugh:

true. there's also no "n" in forum.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
ctothed said:
These are programs tailored for those who are interested in boosting GPA or making themselves more competitive by taking graduate level courses. I have applied to the following schools:
  2. Drexel U IMS
I am waiting to hear from the first 5, accepted at the last four. Can people who know these programs well please give your opinions and advice on the benefits, strengths and weaknesses of the programs. They are all different but 'claim' to have high success rates. My offers are expiring fast :eek: - so i need to make some decisions quickly. I just don't think there is a good source of info on these programs.

You know, you *can* go back and edit those spelling errors... :p

Anyway, that's a pretty big laundry list you have going there. I don't know if I've heard of anyone ever applying to all those schools all at once before.

If you want basic information about that many schools all at once, your best bet is going to be to do a little leg work. Do a search on this forum for each of those schools and see what you pull up. If you ask more specific questions from that, you will probably get more specific answers.

Edit to say: Unless Phil decides to come in and answer all your questions and make me look like an idiot :p

I've researched most of these programs heavily, but I have not done a special masters program (yet!). So keep that in mind. But these are my thoughts:

These programs do NOT boost your undergrad GPA. Rather, they give you a new graduate GPA that you can use to show your academic capabilities if your undergrad performance was poor to borderline. This graduate GPA could make up for your undergrad GPA, but it does not improve your undergrad GPA.

Georgetown, BU and Drexel are some of the most popular and most effective of the special masters programs. However, Drexel does not award a master's unless you stay for an additional year to get your MMS degree.

I would be hesitant about NYMC. They are only now keeping a track record of the success rate. Also, it is spread out over two years. This loses the design of special masters programs (i.e., challenging and heavy courseload in one year).

I would also be hesitant about Loyola. A student in the program, coredump, has mentioned some inside details of the program that you might want to check up on. My initial problems looking at the program are that it is only in its first year, it is only 24 credits, there is no research component, there is no lab component, and you don't take classes with the medical students at Stritch. And that's just what I can think of now.

Roswell's Interdisciplinary program, if I remember correctly, is also two years. Again, that loses the point of the special masters program (i.e., challenging one-year courseload that simulates the medical curriculum). The oncology emphasis could have its advantages, but the program is simply not as established as the other special masters programs and again, the coursework is not like other special masters programs.

Barry sounds like a good curriculum to me, but it simply is not as effective as the others if you're going for an MD school. However, it seems to be a good osteopathic feeder. In fact, I think some of the profs in the MS in Biomedical Sciences program teach at Nova Southeastern's osteopathic school. The classes you take are sometimes shared with the podiatry students, but you don't take actual medical courses. Also, the program is pretty expensive. If you're gonna drop a good deal of cash, spend it on a more effective program. I also understand that the one-year program is supposed to be very intense. And yet, it isn't nearly as effective as the better known programs. Hard work without the results you want would suck.

EVMS and UMDNJ I think are also good programs. I considered both. EVMS is one of the true special masters programs because it's one year, 34 credits (I think) in one year, most of your courses are with the med students, and you do a thesis (library-based). I could be wrong about this, but it also seems to have a solid informal linkage to EVMS. One think that sucks is the price tag though (but it's comparable to G-town and BU).

UMDNJ-Newark's MS in Biomedical Sciences also has its advantages. You can take classes with the medical students, but it's probably not quite as hardcore as a program like Georgetown's which has more credits and more medical school courses. UMDNJ also has the thesis component, which could be either an advantage or disadvantage. But keep in mind that the typical time for the UMDNJ program is 1.5 years. So it's not the best program if you're applying this year. Another advantage is the price, which I recall is much cheaper than EVMS, Georgetown, and Boston U. I've been in contact with an NJ resident that did the program and it seems that the program is very effective for students trying to get into either of the two UMDNJ MD schools. The area isn't the best in the world though. That's my only real problem with the program. Apparently UMDNJ is in the process of building a graduate housing complex, but it doesn't open until Fall 2006.

Of the ones you've been accepted to, forget about Barry and Roswell if you're looking to be competitive for MD schools. Barry is good for DO schools. Roswell, I know little about, but it's definitely not as established as the others. EVMS and UMDNJ are solid options.

Of the ones you're waiting on, forget Loyola and NYMC. Loyola is poorly designed and as far as their guaranteed interview goes, you need to *average* 28 or better on the MCAT (e.g., 26 + 28 = no interview). Georgetown, Boston U, and Drexel are all good programs. Georgetown and BU are much more expensive, but in my opinion the programs are worth the cash...and you'll get a degree out of it. But Drexel is much cheaper if you're there for one-year and is arguably the best pre-professional graduate certificate program (Loma Linda and VCU are the other certificate programs that sound pretty good from what I've gathered). Drexel's IMS seems to be a love it or hate it program though. Check out the old threads.

Nice summary Phil. Thanks.
I'm wondering about UMDNJ's program. Does anyone have any knowledge of how useful it is for non-NJ school?

Lindyhopper said:
Nice summary Phil. Thanks.
I'm wondering about UMDNJ's program. Does anyone have any knowledge of how useful it is for non-NJ school?
I would PM syperidot, he was really helpful with my questions and I think he would be able to answer your question. I'm pretty sure he got into both UMDNJ-RWJ and UMDNJ-NJMS. He also mentioned getting an interview at George Washington...I'm not sure what other interviews/acceptances he got. From one of the older UMDNJ threads, abbeacon (I don't know if he even posts anymore) got accepted at the UMDNJs, EVMS (where he matriculated, if I remember correctly), and some other school (can't remember, but I might hunt it down :D). Edit: he was also *interviewed* at VCU/MCV. I don't know what happened after that.

Seems like you forgot to include the Applied Physiology program at Rosalind Franklin University/Finch University/Chicago Medical school/whatever they are calling themselves these days. I myself am a BU GMS'er (M.A. in Medical Sciences) and would certainly recommend the program. Georgetown is probably the most well known, but BU, Drexel, and Rosalind Franklind are probably tied for a very close second, depending on location and what you are looking for in a special master's type program. I think Phil summed up the individual programs pretty nicely, and there is a ton of info on the "big 4" on SDN - just do a search.

Here is some info I dug up on SDN about the program at EVMS.

If these folks are to be believed, you take classes with the MS1 students and you don't have to "retake" the classes you get A's in if you matriculate.

Here are the threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.netshowthread.phpt=127516&highlight=EVMS+Masters

EVMS has a great postbac program. I am an M2 at EVMS and did a postbac at MCV/VCU in Richmond. MCV has about 160 people in their postbac program EVMS had close to 15 this last year. So far, 11 of them have been accepted for next year. EVMS puts you in most of the M1 classes. You can opt out of taking any class that you got an A in the Masters program once you matriculate. I feel that EVMS uses a model that says: if you come and do well in the postbac program, your hard work will pay off with an offer to our school. hope that helps

http://forums.studentdoctor.netshowthread.phpt=100170&highlight=EVMS+Masters

Don't know numbers at all -- I never did the program. But it's success rate honestly varies every year. The class that did the "post bacc" program in the 2001-2002 year -- 12 out of 13 got into med school (all of those 12 came to EVMS). This past year, those who had done the med-masters 2002-2003 -- the numbers weren't as "pretty" although most got into some sort of program or another. A couple didn't get into any field. A couple went to DO. I think one went to podiatry school. Another went into dentistry and still another veterinary medicine. The program is fairly small -- I think they intentionally keep it under 15 people. The med masters do most of teh classes with the med students. You're expected to make at least a high pass in most of those classes (esp since if you get admitted to EVMS, you'll be expected to tutor/help out with the classes since you won't have to retake them). Depending on teh class, if you HP/H, you will not have to repeat it (assuming you come to EVMS) when you get in.

In general, the program is used mostly by those who want to enter EVMS. Esp by those who really fell in love with EVMS during their interview but didn't happen to get accepted, and so they want to boost a way to get into EVMS. It's a small school, so the professors will actually personally speak on your behalf on whether and why you should be admitted (after you do the program that is).
Agape

have you/ or is it advisable to do follow-up calls with those other schools to let them know your continued interest in their progam? or is that too fake? i'm not sure what decorum dictates in this situation. but that might be a way to get a sense.

ctothed said:
  2. Drexel U IMS

Im in a similar position to you and currently trying to find information on some of these programs. I agree there's not a lot of info out there. Most people on this site seem to have experience and post about gtown, bu, and drexel. They all seem to have great reputations and sucess rates, but I pretty much eliminated BU b/c of the high cost and am not applying to gtown b/c I don't like the idea of applying to med school while in the program. Some people like the idea of gtown b/c you apply in the same year you do the masters so that you don't have to take a lag year after it. Also, I'm pretty sure the "high" sucess rate of gtown combines those that get in during the program and those that get in one year later, 80+% aren't getting accepted while in the program. I personally don't feel comfortable with the idea of going through the financial and emotional costs of AMCAS without having a full year of extra grades on my transcript to show the adcoms that I can handle med school, but that's just me. I think if youre a borderline candidate and have a few academic bumps in your record, as long as you do well in any postbacc program, you'll be fine. If your less than border line you may want to hold a place at EVMS or wait for gtown, drexel, or bu; as these do seem to be more rigorous and allow you to really prove your potential abilities of handling med school by taking many of the first year med classes.

dca_55,
I think there is a slight misconception about the Georgetown SMP and applying while in the program. Although the directors reccomend that you apply while in the program, you do NOT have to if you don't want to. I know many people in the program that want the whole year's worth of grades before applying. The only reason directors recommend that you apply is so that you have that chance of not having to wait that extra year between the end of the program and the start of medical school. If you want to wait on applying so that you have one year's worth of grades on your AMCAS, there really is no conflict there.
I hope that clears things up a little. Good luck.

I personally applied to med school this year and wasn't accepted- low gpa and MCAT (27). I'm guessing these progs will allow me to prove that I can handle the coursework. I don't think it is worth time/money to repeat courses i did in undergrad to show I can do better. It should be expected that if you repeat a course, you will do better- but that still doesn't prove you can handle med school courses. :scared:

Doing well in a Master's program should demonstrate that you learned something from undergrad and can handle medical school courses. Worst case scenario- you will graduate with a Master's degree which is more usefull than a certificate or nothing but more undergrad credits.

Thats the reason i decided to go masters route- retake MCAT, then do a year of courses and then re-apply to medical school. Does this rationale seem rational? :confused:

ctothed said:
I personally applied to med school this year and wasn't accepted- low gpa and MCAT (27). I'm guessing these progs will allow me to prove that I can handle the coursework. I don't think it is worth time/money to repeat courses i did in undergrad to show I can do better. It should be expected that if you repeat a course, you will do better- but that still doesn't prove you can handle med school courses. :scared:

Doing well in a Master's program should demonstrate that you learned something from undergrad and can handle medical school courses. Worst case scenario- you will graduate with a Master's degree which is more usefull than a certificate or nothing but more undergrad credits.

Thats the reason i decided to go masters route- retake MCAT, then do a year of courses and then re-apply to medical school. Does this rationale seem rational? :confused:
Yes, your rationale is rational.

But when I mentioned the issue of raising your undergraduate GPA, I wasn't implying that you retake prereqs. You can take undergraduate courses such as microbiology, immunology, physiology, anatomy, endocrinology, virology, etc. This would raise your undergraduate GPA, if that's what you're trying to do. If your undergrad GPA is really ugly (e.g., less than 3.0 which I doubt is your situation considering some of the programs you were accepted to), then it could be important to take some undergrad upper-division courses. Of course, if you've exhausted most of these courses and done reasonably well, then it's pretty pointless to try and pad your undergrad GPA. I took courses in cell bio, micro, immuno, physio, anatomy, plants, evolutionary, etc. (I was a bio major). At this point, a graduate program is the logical step for me and maybe for you as well.

Keep in mind that the MS in I-Want-to-go-to-Med-School programs are not very useful degrees (e.g., I think Loyola's degree is almost useless if it doesn't get you into med school). Programs like Georgetown and Drexel IMS are good at what they're meant for: getting you into med school. But if you're looking for more "useful" degrees, the advantages of doing a laboratory thesis in the Boston U and UMDNJ programs could prove to be advantageous.

I don't know too much about these programs but several DO schools such as PCOM & LECOM (warning above average # of SDN complaints) also have SMP type programs. Most offer a one year certificate & the option of staying a second for a masters.
I see an additional advantage of an SMP type programs, as most directly preparing students to succeed academically in the first year or two. Hell, you're almost spreading the first year out over two.
These "academic enhancers" may really be an enter to the profession to lots of folks. If one's academic record is somehow damaged. I think the entrance requirements are relatively lenient & a strong preformance often allows one to informally link into the parent program. Which is in no way implying that there won't be a lot of future great doctors in the room.
Edit: My post was intended pretty generally, & not towards the OP particularly.

Calling all people who have experience with, complaints or questions about Special Masters Programs! Also, does anyone know how to change the spelling of the thread in the directory?- my spelling errors make me cringe everytime i see them...

ctothed said:
Also, does anyone know how to change the spelling of the thread in the directory?- my spelling errors make me cringe everytime i see them...
On your first post of this thread, there is a button on the bottom that reads Edit. Click on that and you can change the thread title (e.g., Special Masters Forum) and anything in the body of the text you would like to change as well.